Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: xhost
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers xhost Post 302672927 by Brandon9000 on Tuesday 17th of July 2012 09:09:42 AM
Old 07-17-2012
xhost

Some of my users find that a graphical program I have given them will not run until they type:

Code:
xhost +local:username

where, of course, they substitute in their own user name. My question is what the word "local" is doing there and whether it would work as well without it.

Thanks in advance for any light you can shed.

Last edited by Scott; 07-17-2012 at 10:39 AM.. Reason: Code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

xhost command

Hi, Is there a way to know if user used the xhost command in is current session and to which hosts/users the user give access. (xhost + or xhost + host1 ...) Thanks, Itay. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: itayst
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

xhost: unable to open display????

I am a dba, not an sa, that recently had to take over administering an HP-UX server. Needless to say I am not in a comfortable area, but found out that of all people I am the most knowledgeable on unix here .... scary thought I know. I am having troubles exporting my display to a Windows XP... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: soestx
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

xhost unable to open display

I am trying to install ORACLE 10g database on HP-UNIX 11.11 I am running OUI runinstaller from exceed terminal from windows PC. I have set DISPLAY=IPAddress of PC:0.0 When installer starts it is giving me error of display (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ymg
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Xhost and ILO

I have an application that requires me to disable the restricted access to the X Server libraries by issuing the 'Xhost +' command from a Console Window. It is important that this command is run from the Console Window and not a Terminal Window otherwise the system complains that DISPLAY is not... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimthompson
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Include xhost + at auto reboot script

Below is the startup/stop script for vncservers by end-user. How can xhost + command include in this script? Please help. Thank you. #!/bin/sh # # Startup/Stop script for vncservers for some users. # case "$1" in 'start') /bin/rm /tmp/.X11-unix/X0 /bin/su - applprod -c... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: KhawHL
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Xhost help

Hi all, I am trying to enable usage of X on 2 servers - ServerA and ServerB. I am logged in as root on ServerA and am trying to add ServerB into the access list of A. I am using this: root@ServerA#> export DISPLAY=localhost:20.0 root@ServerA#> xhost +ServerB I am getting the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vishi
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

xWindows error: xhost unable to open display

I am trying to direct a AIX display to my XWindows and I am at a dead end now! So this what I've done so far: 1. In putty settings, I set "Enable X11 forwarding" and also set "X diplay location" to "localhost:0" (without quotes, of course) 2. Via putty, connected to my AIX server 3. On... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shoefiend
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Problem With "xhost +" command-FreeBSD

Does anyone no why "xhost +" would not be working in freebsd? Could it be to do with a certain xorg package not being installed etc.. I am getting error "xhost: command not found" Thanks Anyone (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Browser
2 Replies

9. AIX

Xhost usage in AIX

Hi Can some one please advise on the usage of xhost command in aix. The AIX server name is pmut3. The below is the requirement : Only allow X11 / X-Window connections to the pmut3 server from the following windows hosts: Citrix Session Host server SRV090 Citrix Session Host server... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newtoaixos
2 Replies

10. Red Hat

Xhost command not working

Hi, I am not able to work with the command xhost. I need to open the same machine (not any other remote machine) in UI mode. How can I open this using xhost? I am using Putty to login to this machine. I am simply writing the command as --> xhost + There is an error displayed -->... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: omniok
3 Replies
HOSTS.EQUIV(5)						      BSD File Formats Manual						    HOSTS.EQUIV(5)

NAME
hosts.equiv, .rhosts -- trusted remote hosts and host-user pairs DESCRIPTION
The hosts.equiv and .rhosts files list hosts and users which are ``trusted'' by the local host when a connection is made via rlogind(8), rshd(8), or any other server that uses ruserok(3). This mechanism bypasses password checks, and is required for access via rsh(1). Each line of these files has the format: hostname [username] The hostname may be specified as a host name (typically a fully qualified host name in a DNS environment) or address, +@netgroup (from which only the host names are checked), or a ``+'' wildcard (allow all hosts). The username, if specified, may be given as a user name on the remote host, +@netgroup (from which only the user names are checked), or a ``+'' wildcard (allow all remote users). If a username is specified, only that user from the specified host may login to the local machine. If a username is not specified, any user may login with the same user name. EXAMPLES
somehost A common usage: users on somehost may login to the local host as the same user name. somehost username The user username on somehost may login to the local host. If specified in /etc/hosts.equiv, the user may login with only the same user name. +@anetgroup username The user username may login to the local host from any machine listed in the netgroup anetgroup. + + + Two severe security hazards. In the first case, allows a user on any machine to login to the local host as the same user name. In the second case, allows any user on any machine to login to the local host (as any user, if in /etc/hosts.equiv). WARNINGS
The username checks provided by this mechanism are not secure, as the remote user name is received by the server unchecked for validity. Therefore this mechanism should only be used in an environment where all hosts are completely trusted. A numeric host address instead of a host name can help security considerations somewhat; the address is then used directly by iruserok(3). When a username (or netgroup, or +) is specified in /etc/hosts.equiv, that user (or group of users, or all users, respectively) may login to the local host as any local user. Usernames in /etc/hosts.equiv should therefore be used with extreme caution, or not at all. A .rhosts file must be owned by the user whose home directory it resides in, and must be writable only by that user. Logins as root only check root's .rhosts file; the /etc/hosts.equiv file is not checked for security. Access permitted through root's .rhosts file is typically only for rsh(1), as root must still login on the console for an interactive login such as rlogin(1). FILES
/etc/hosts.equiv Global trusted host-user pairs list ~/.rhosts Per-user trusted host-user pairs list SEE ALSO
rcp(1), rlogin(1), rsh(1), rcmd(3), ruserok(3), netgroup(5) HISTORY
The .rhosts file format appeared in 4.2BSD. BUGS
The ruserok(3) implementation currently skips negative entries (preceded with a ``-'' sign) and does not treat them as ``short-circuit'' neg- ative entries. BSD
November 26, 1997 BSD