Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: FIND w/ multiple expressions
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting FIND w/ multiple expressions Post 302672675 by nitrobass24 on Monday 16th of July 2012 06:37:06 PM
Old 07-16-2012
FIND w/ multiple expressions

For reference i am still a newb at scripting, but i have what i think is a complex issue.

I need to run a FIND on / to identify all files and print them to >> $TEMPFILE
I need to avoid MVFS
I need to avoid /var/tmp/nastmp/

I was trying find / \( -type d -name nastmp -prune \) -a \( -fstype mvfs \) -print

But this is not working at all. I can get them to work separately but i need both conditions to be met.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Last edited by nitrobass24; 07-16-2012 at 07:45 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching multiple files with multiple expressions

I am using a DEC ALPHA running Digital UNIX (formly DEC OSF/1) and ksh. I have a directory with hundreds of files that only share the extension .rpt. I would like to search that directory based on serial number and operation number and only files that meet both requirements to be printed out. I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anahka
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Output section of file between two expressions multiple times

Attached is the exact ouput of a vmware VDR log file I am working with but what I am trying to achieve is as follows: I need to output sections of the file using the string "Normal backup" as the start and "Duration" as the end to seperate files so I can then manipulate them further to create... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jelloir
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Regular Expressions -- Find spaces outside

Hello, I need help with using grep and regular expressions.... I have a long list of about 1000 lines of Chinese flashcards. Here's a small excerpt: 意文 yìwén (given name) 貴姓 guìxìng (honorable surname) 貴 guì (honorable) 姓 xìng (one's surname is; to be surnamed; surname) 呢 ne (interrogative... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arduino411
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep command to find multiple strings in multiple lines in a file.

I want to search files (basically .cc files) in /xx folder and subfolders. Those files (*.cc files) must contain #include "header.h" AND x() function. I am writing it another way to make it clear, I wanna list of *.cc files that have 'header.h' & 'x()'. They must have two strings, header.h... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ritikaSharma
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to find & replace a multiple lines string across multiple php files and subdirectories

Hey guys. I know pratically 0 about Linux, so could anyone please give me instructions on how to accomplish this ? The distro is RedHat 4.1.2 and i need to find and replace a multiple lines string in several php files across subdirectories. So lets say im at root/dir1/dir2/ , when i execute... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: spfc_dmt
12 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find 2 expressions then print in a single line

Guys, need help. I have a file that contains something like this: abc def ghi jkl I want to print the first and last line of the file and the output should be in a single line. so, output should be like this: abc jkl (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: solidhelix08
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Using find and regular expressions

Hi Could you please advise how can one extract from the output of find . -name "*.c" -print only filenames in the current direcotry and not in its subdirectories? I tried using (on Linux x86_64) find . -name "*.c" -prune but it is not giving correct output. Whereas I am getting... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: tinku981
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing Multiple spaces with a single space but excluding few regular expressions

Hi All. Attached are two files. I ran a query and have the output as in the file with name "FILEWITHFOURRECORDS.txt " I didn't want all the spaces between the columns so I squeezed the spaces with the "tr" command and also added a carriage return at the end of every line. But in two... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sparks
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH - Regular Expressions :Looking for one word on multiple lines.

Im looking for a bash solution that will use Regular Expressions (not perl, sed or awk) to check the example data below and then give me a status. which would be just simply Match or Mismatch. SYS PS1 is present. Fan status: Normal Input Voltage status: Normal ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: popeye
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed find multiple expressions plus next next line

Hello I am trying to write sed code where it will look through the text for lines with specific expression "Started by user" and when found, will also add the following line, and also lines with another expression "Finished:" sed -n '/Started by user/, +1p, /Finished:/'... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dlesny
4 Replies
ln(1B)						     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands						    ln(1B)

NAME
ln - make hard or symbolic links to files SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/ln [-fs] filename [linkname] /usr/ucb/ln [-fs] pathname... directory DESCRIPTION
The /usr/ucb/ln utility creates an additional directory entry, called a link, to a file or directory. Any number of links can be assigned to a file. The number of links does not affect other file attributes such as size, protections, data, etc. filename is the name of the original file or directory. linkname is the new name to associate with the file or filename. If linkname is omitted, the last component of filename is used as the name of the link. If the last argument is the name of a directory, symbolic links are made in that directory for each pathname argument; /usr/ucb/ln uses the last component of each pathname as the name of each link in the named directory. A hard link (the default) is a standard directory entry just like the one made when the file was created. Hard links can only be made to existing files. Hard links cannot be made across file systems (disk partitions, mounted file systems). To remove a file, all hard links to it must be removed, including the name by which it was first created; removing the last hard link releases the inode associated with the file. A symbolic link, made with the -s option, is a special directory entry that points to another named file. Symbolic links can span file sys- tems and point to directories. In fact, you can create a symbolic link that points to a file that is currently absent from the file sys- tem; removing the file that it points to does not affect or alter the symbolic link itself. A symbolic link to a directory behaves differently than you might expect in certain cases. While an ls(1) on such a link displays the files in the pointed-to directory, an `ls -l' displays information about the link itself: example% /usr/ucb/ln -s dir link example% ls link file1 file2 file3 file4 example% ls -l link lrwxrwxrwx 1 user 7 Jan 11 23:27 link -> dir When you use cd(1) to change to a directory through a symbolic link, you wind up in the pointed-to location within the file system. This means that the parent of the new working directory is not the parent of the symbolic link, but rather, the parent of the pointed-to direc- tory. For instance, in the following case the final working directory is /usr and not /home/user/linktest. example% pwd /home/user/linktest example% /usr/ucb/ln -s /var/tmp symlink example% cd symlink example% cd .. example% pwd /usr C shell user's can avoid any resulting navigation problems by using the pushd and popd built-in commands instead of cd. OPTIONS
-f Force a hard link to a directory. This option is only available to the super-user, and should be used with extreme caution. -s Create a symbolic link or links. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of ln when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2^31 bytes). EXAMPLES
Example 1 The /usr/ucb/ln command The commands below illustrate the effects of the different forms of the /usr/ucb/ln command: example% /usr/ucb/ln file link example% ls -F file link file link example% /usr/ucb/ln -s file symlink example% ls -F file symlink file symlink@ example% ls -li file link symlink 10606 -rw-r--r-- 2 user 0 Jan 12 00:06 file 10606 -rw-r--r-- 2 user 0 Jan 12 00:06 link 10607 lrwxrwxrwx 1 user 4 Jan 12 00:06 symlink -> file example% /usr/ucb/ln -s nonesuch devoid example% ls -F devoid devoid@ example% cat devoid devoid: No such file or directory example% /usr/ucb/ln -s /proto/bin/* /tmp/bin example% ls -F /proto/bin /tmp/bin /proto/bin: x* y* z* /tmp/bin: x@ y@ z@ ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
cp(1), ls(1), mv(1), rm(1), link(2), readlink(2), stat(2), symlink(2), attributes(5), largefile(5) NOTES
When the last argument is a directory, simple basenames should not be used for pathname arguments. If a basename is used, the resulting symbolic link points to itself: example% /usr/ucb/ln -s file /tmp example% ls -l /tmp/file lrwxrwxrwx 1 user 4 Jan 12 00:16 /tmp/file -> file example% cat /tmp/file /tmp/file: Too many levels of symbolic links To avoid this problem, use full pathnames, or prepend a reference to the PWD variable to files in the working directory: example% rm /tmp/file example% /usr/ucb/ln -s $PWD/file /tmp lrwxrwxrwx 1 user 4 Jan 12 00:16 /tmp/file -> /home/user/subdir/file SunOS 5.11 11 Mar 1994 ln(1B)