Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Passing gunzipped filename to a variable Post 302672549 by rogerben on Monday 16th of July 2012 01:55:41 PM
Old 07-16-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by alister
gunzip will rename the file for you.

If you need to control the filename of the uncompressed file, you can have gunzip write to a redirected standard output.

You might also be interested in the uncompressed filename displayed by -l. But, I don't know since your goal is a mystery.

If you need further help, why don't you show us the entire script, and explain what it is you are trying to accomplish.

Regards,
Alister

Hi,
Thanks for the reply. This is the part of the code gunzip /tmp/$b where $b is having the zipped file name. I just want the file name to be gunzipped and the filename should be renamed to other format. So retrieving only the zipped filename will be useful
rogerben

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

passing a variable inside a variable to a function

I would like to know how to pass a variable inside a variable to a function. sample code below -------------- for x in 1 9 do check_null $C$x ##call function to check if the value is null if then echo "line number:$var_cnt,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: KingVikram
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

mv Filename variable to another filename

Anyone who can assist : I am trying to pass the group vairiable to a filename: rpt_tsavegrp=/export/legato/scripts/$group_savegrp_rpt.$dat It will not pass to variable. Anyone have any ideas what I am doing wrong here. Thanks # This script sends email that save group completed.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gzs553
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing Filename as a Parameter to Another script

Hi, I have a requirement to write a script file(script1.sh) to read the file from the folder say /usr1/profiles/active and pass the file name as a parameter to another script file say (script2.sh) which would subsitute this parameter. The script2.sh will have a line like the one below ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ravisg
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing a variable inside another variable.

Any help would be great. I know this is a dumb way of doing this, but I would like to know if there is a solution doing it this way. I'm very new at this and I'd like to learn more. Thanks! :D:D count=0 while ; do echo "enter your name" read name_$count let count=count+1 done ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: reconflux
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

variable used as filename

Hello, i'm fairly new to scripting, so please bear with me (I did try looking this up first, i figured it had to have been asked already). #!/bin/bash fileName=`date | sed -n 's/ /_/g p' | sed -n 's/^/Backup_/p' | sed -n 's/$/\.tar/p'`; #THIS SETS BACKUP_DATE echo $fileName #TEST OF VALUE ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jzacsh
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing filename as parameter and displaying the file contents

Hi All, Its extremely urgent regarding the following requirement. I have created few files in a directory. I have write a program in shell scripting such that it prompts for the filename . once the filename is entered,it should print the contents of the file. Can anyone help with... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: radhi2424
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing filename dynamically in SPOOL of SQL*PLUS in shell script

Hi all, I am executing shell script in which I am using SQLLDR In this SQLLDR I am passing text file having PL/SQL script. This script will produce some formated output, this output I have to spool in another text file. Currently I have given this in script file as following Spool... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shekharjchandra
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing dynamic variable within another variable.

I have a small program which needs to pass variable dynamically to form the name of a second variable whose value wil be passed on to a third variable. ***************** Program Start ****************** LOC1=/loc1 PAT1IN=/loc2 PAT2IN=/loc3 if ; then for fpattern in `cat... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cyril Jos
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Passing variable as input & storing output in other variable

I have a below syntax its working fine... var12=$(ps -ef | grep apache | awk '{print $2,$4}') Im getting expected output as below: printf "%b\n" "${VAR12}" dell 123 dell 456 dell 457 Now I wrote a while loop.. the output of VAR12 should be passed as input parameters to while loop and results... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam@sam
5 Replies

10. Programming

Python passing filename through argument

Hello, A python beginner question on passing filename thru argument. My code is: #!/usr/bin/python import sys, getopt import os def main(argv): try: opts, args = getopt.getopt(sys.argv,"hi:o:ce", ) except getopt.GetoptError: usage() print("Usage: %s... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
6 Replies
ns_zlib(3aolserver)					     AOLserver Zlib Extension					       ns_zlib(3aolserver)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
ns_zlib - Zlib compression support SYNOPSIS
ns_zlib compress string ns_zlib gunzip file ns_zlib gzip string ns_zlib gzipfile file ns_zlib uncompress string _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The ns_zlib command enables compressing and uncompressing of strings or files. The command is available if the nszlib.so module is loaded into AOLserver or the libnszlib.so, nszlib.dll, or libnszlib.dylib dynamic library is loaded using the load command in a suitable tclsh such as nstclsh. ns_zlib compress string This command compresses the given string and returns a Tcl byte array object with the compressed data. ns_zlib gunzip file This command uncompresses the contents of the given gzipped file and returns a string as the result. ns_zlib gzipfile file This command is similar to the gzip shell routines, compressing the given file into a new file with the .gz extension. If success- ful, the original uncompressed file is deleted. ns_zlib uncompress bytearray This command takes a byte array object which includes compressed data and returns an uncompressed string object. EXAMPLES
The following examples demonstrate compressing and uncompressing a string; # Compress Tcl string set test "This is test string" set data [ns_zlib compress $test] set test [ns_zlib uncompress $data] --> returns "This is test string" # Compress the string into gzip format set gzip [ns_zlib gzip $test] # Save as gzip file set fd [open /tmp/test.gz w] fconfigure $fd -translation binary -encoding binary puts -nonewline $fd $gzip close $fd # Uncompress gzipped file set test [ns_zlib gunzip /tmp/test.gz] --> returns "This is test string" SEE ALSO
ns_adp_ctl(n), load(n) KEYWORDS
GZIP, compress, uncompress AOLserver 4.5 ns_zlib(3aolserver)