Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions Unix Script -- To Skip killing a specific process Post 302672173 by murali1687 on Monday 16th of July 2012 04:32:13 AM
Old 07-16-2012
Unix Script -- To Skip killing a specific process

Hi,

By using
Code:
ps -aux | awk '/mine/{split($15,a,"/");print $1,$2,a[length(a)]}'

i get the below listed PID's with there corresponding processes.

Code:
adm 1522 ABC_Process.tra
adm 1939 GENE_Process.tra
adm 2729 GENE_Archive.tra
adm 3259 xyz_Process.tra

I use
Code:
ps -aux | awk '/mine/{split($15,a,"/");print $1,$2,a[length(a)]}' | while read a PID b; do kill -9 $PID; done

to kill the process gracefully.

But from the listed processes i do not want "GENE" processes to be killed, and the rest should be.

Is there a way to perform it in the unix script and print me the output of the same, in which GENE process should not be touched.

Expecting output like :
Code:
1522 ABC_Process.tra  is killed gracefully
3259  XYZ_Process.tra is killed gracefully

Any alternative ways are most welcome

--- Murali.

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Please use code tags next time for your code and data.

Last edited by zaxxon; 07-16-2012 at 05:59 AM.. Reason: code tags, see PM

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

killing process using a script

can I do ps -ef | grep <process_name> and kill the process is it exists? and send a mail to me that the process was found and killed Thanks much... KS (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: skotapal
4 Replies

2. AIX

killing a process from a script

Hey all. I'm brand new to this forum and am looking for some help. I have a script that verifies that the backup tapes are working correctly. Basically is uses 1 command: restore -xpqvf > rootvglog I use this for each volume group that we have. We run this everyday but the problem is, we... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jalge2
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

While killing the process, Script gets hanged. Please help me on this.

Hi Everyone, I have written a script to automate the docbase cleanup process on every weekly basis. That is in this script i have to shutdown the docbase and then kill all the process that are hanged except one process(epic process) and need to delete some log files and then i have to start the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sheethal
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Killing specific process

Hello, I need to create a process that will kill a specific process if it's running. Let's just say the process is called win, actually called something else. It could be running multiple times on the machine and I would want to kill them all. Below is the code I have written so far, and it... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: benefactr
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

script not killing process!

i am using script to connect remotly to server and run some commands , one of these commands is to kill some process but tried different ways with no hope sshpass -p 'pass' ssh -o StrictHostKeyChecking=no server kill -9 `pgrep procs` getting error message "kill: bad argument count" ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mogabr
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Killing a process within 5 min it starts in Unix using perl

Hi All, I have to kill a program whose pid, i will be getting. Multiple processes will be getting started by my script of same kind in a series. So for after each call to a process i need to write a command or script which can kill the process if it takes more than 5min. In this i will... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nishank.jain
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding the age of a unix process, killing old processes, killing zombie processes

I had issues with processes locking up. This script checks for processes and kills them if they are older than a certain time. Its uses some functions you'll need to define or remove, like slog() which I use for logging, and is_running() which checks if this script is already running so you can... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sukerman
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

**need help for killing a process through script**

Hello All, i hope you are fine. I need a little help from you people-- inside a script i want to kill a parent process by checking it with the child process.. p_pid=`ps -e | awk '/ra_cmd_d/ {print$1}'` here i am selecting the child process id in p_pid. next-- sleep_pid=`ps -af |... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: onlyniladri
3 Replies

9. UNIX and Linux Applications

Unix pkill error; does wily obstruct me killing the process?

have two scripts on Unix; one that starts some processes and the other one for killing a process. At first, I ran the .sh without WILY in it and it worked perfectly; in this way, I could also ran my stopper process. However I need WILY in this so I added it to my script but this time, a message... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nerdogan551
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automated Script for Process killing

Hello all, I'm in need of a Script which needs to wait for all the child process to end and then kill the main process. I have a process called mainpp which runs for different instances like evpn, nge, gmn etc so when i query for mainpp process it looks like below. bash-3.2$ ps -eaf |... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mahesh_RPM
6 Replies
fb.modes(8)						     Linux frame buffer utils						       fb.modes(8)

NAME
fb.modes - frame buffer modes file DESCRIPTION
/etc/fb.modes contains an unlimited number of video mode descriptions. The general format of a video mode is: mode geometry <xres> <yres> <vxres> <vyres> <depth> timings <pixclock> <left> <right> <upper> <lower> <hslen> <vslen> options <value> endmode OPTIONS
geometry options: xres visible horizontal resolution (in pixels) yres visible vertical resolution (in pixels) vxres virtual horizontal resolution (in pixels) vyres virtual vertical resolution (in pixels) depth display depth (in bits per pixel) timing options: pixclock length of one pixel (in picoseconds) left left margin (in pixels) right right margin (in pixels) upper upper margin (in pixel lines) lower lower margin (in pixel lines) hslen horizontal sync length (in pixels) vslen vertical sync length (in pixel lines) other options: the first value of this options is the default hsync {low|high} the horizontal sync polarity vsync {low|high} the vertical sync polarity csync {low|high} the composite sync polarity extsync {false|true} enable or disable external resync. If enabled the sync timings are not generated by the frame buffer device and must be pro- vided externally instead. Note that this option may not be supported by every frame buffer device laced {false|true} enable or disable interlace. If enabled the display will be split in two frames, each frame contains only even and odd lines respectively. These two frames will be displayed alternating, this way twice the lines can be displayed and the vertical fre- quency for monitor stays the same, but the visible vertical frequency gets halved double {false|true} enable or disable doublescan. If enabled every line will be displayed twice and this way the horizontal frequency can easily be doubled, so that the same resolution can be displayed on different monitors, even if the horizontal frequency specifica- tion differs. Note that this option may not be supported by every frame buffer device INTERNALS
Generally a frame buffer display is organized as follows: +---+---------------+---+---+ | | ^ | | | | | | 5 | | | | | v | | | +---#################---+---+ | # ^ # | | | # | # | | | # | # | | | 1 # | 2 # 3 | 4 | |<->#<------+------>#<->|<->| | # | # | | | # | 6 # | | | # | # | | | # v # | | +---#################---+---+ | | ^ | | | | | | 7 | | | | | v | | | +---+---------------+---+---+ | | ^ | | | | | | 8 | | | | | v | | | +---+---------------+---+---+ 1 left margin 2 xres 3 right margin 4 horizontal sync len 5 upper margin 6 yres 7 lower margin 8 vertical sync len The area bordered with `#' is the visible display area. Horizontal and vertical frequencies can now easily be calculated, for this the sum of horizontal or vertical values are important htotal = left + xres + right + hslen vtotal = upper + yres + lower + vslen The length of one line can now be calculated with pixclock line = pixclock * htotal and we have the horizontal frequency hfreq = 1E12 / line = 1E12 / (pixclock * htotal) To get the vertical frequency vtotal must eventually adjusted. If the display is laced, vtotal must be halved or if the display is a dou- blescan one, vtotal must be doubled. Now we can calculate the length of one frame if (lace) vtotal /= 2 if (double) vtotal *= 2 frame = vtotal * line and we get also the vertical frequency vfreq = 1E12 / frame = hfreq / vtotal SEE ALSO
fbset(8), fbdev(4) local Aug 1996 fb.modes(8)