Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: sed second occurence error
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sed second occurence error Post 302670163 by Irishboy24 on Wednesday 11th of July 2012 07:03:46 PM
Old 07-11-2012
thanks allister. as you pointed out i had 2 issues in there . one was with the extra \ after the replace pattern and the extra \ before the flag of 2nd occurrence. that fixed it .

also, the treatment of \ before the dot was not necessary in this case.

Thanks mate.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed and replacing one occurence of pattern

I would like to use sed to replace one occurence of a pattern in a file. When I use the s/// command it replaces all occurences of the pattern in the file. Should I be using something other than sed? Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ss9u
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - remove spaces before 1rst occurence of string

seems easy but havent found in other posts... i want to delete any spaces if found before first occurence of ${AI_RUN} sed 's/ *\\$\\{AI_RUN\\}/\\$\\{AI_RUN\\}/' $HOME/temp1.dat i think i'm close but can't put my finger on it. :rolleyes: (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: danmauer
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change specific occurence with sed

Hello, I have this file. aaa port=1234 time bbb port=2233 name ccc port=4444 name Is there any way with sed to change only the occurence of "port" which comes after section to have as output : (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: rany1
12 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed command to get first occurence of a line in a file

Hi, I need a help in replacing the first occurrence of blank line with data. I used the following command, but its replacing all de occurrences of blank lines in de file. Is there any other method to replace the first occurrence of blank line? Sed /^$/data O Please use code tags! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: arjun_arippa
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Number each occurence using sed

hi, I need to number each occurrence of a pattern within a file using sed. Given object 0000 object 111 object 222 I need following 1.object 0000 2.object 111 3.object 222 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: xerox
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed print between 2 patterns only last occurence

Hi, I have a file, which contains the following log data. I am trying to print fromt he file the following data: I have tried using sed, but I am getting from the first pattern Thanks for your help. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sol_nov
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete until Nth occurence (sed, awk)

Hello people, Once more I need your help with SED/AWK I need to delete up to the Nth occurence of a char (from the beggining) and until the Mth occurence of a char (from the end) Example: Input: a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h,i,j,k,l,m,n,o,p,q,r,s,t,u,v,w,x,y,z Output: i,j Must delete up to the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: drbiloukos
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print between patterns - first occurence, second occurence etc

I have a file # cat asasas AAAAAA 11 22 33 44 BBBBB NILNILNIL AAAAAA 22 33 44 55 66 77 88 BBBBB NILNILNIL (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anil510
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grab nth occurence in between two patterns using awk or sed

Hi , I have an issue where I want to parse through the output from a file and I want to grab the nth occurrence of text in between two patterns preferably using awk or sed ! TICKET NBR : 1 !GSI : 102 ! 3100.2.112.1 11/06/2013 15:56:29 ! 3100.2.22.3 98 ! 3100.2.134.2... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: OTNA
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - remove begin of line up to the third and including occurence of character

hello. How to remove all characters in a line from first character ( a $ ) until and including the third occurrence of that character ( $ ). Any help is welcome. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
10 Replies
REPLACE(1)						      General Commands Manual							REPLACE(1)

NAME
replace - A utility program that is used by msql2mysql, but that has more general applicability as well. replace changes strings in place in files or on the standard input. Uses a finite state machine to match longer strings first. Can be used to swap strings. USAGE
replace [-?svIV] from to from to ... -- [files] or replace [-?svIV] from to from to ... < fromfile > tofile SYNOPSIS
replace [-?|-I] [-s] [-v] DESCRIPTION
replace -?|-I info -s silent -v verbose EXTRA INFO
Special characters in from string: ^ Match start of line. $ Match end of line.  Match space-character, start of line or end of line. For a end  the next replace starts locking at the end space-character. A  alone in a string matches only a space-character. EXAMPLE
this command swaps a and b in the given files: shell> replace a b b a -- file1 file2 ... SEE ALSO
isamchk (1), isamlog (1), mysqlaccess (1), mysqladmin (1), mysqlbug (1), mysqld (1), mysqldump (1), mysqlshow (1), msql2mysql (1), perror (1), replace (1), safe_mysqld (1), which1 (1), zap (1), AUTHOR
Ver 1.0, distribution 3.23.29a Michael (Monty) Widenius (monty@tcx.se), TCX Datakonsult AB (http://www.tcx.se). This software comes with no warranty. Manual page by L. (Kill-9) Pedersen (kill-9@kill-9.dk), Mercurmedia Data Model Architect / system developer (http://www.mer- curmedia.com) 20 December 2000 REPLACE(1)