Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Close file descriptor without terminating process Post 302669153 by methyl on Tuesday 10th of July 2012 01:22:59 PM
Old 07-10-2012
Do you know what process had the file open? Any reason that you cannot just stop/start the process at a convenient time?

Presumably your disc is still full?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Should a UNIX daemon process close open fds?

I have a UNIX daemon process that's been started by a parent process, an application server. The behavior of this daemon process is to inherit and use the app server's file descriptors (ports/sockets). When I shutdown the app server, the daemon continues to run, because there may be other... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kunalashar
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File Descriptor Help

What is a file descriptor in Unix?? How to find a file descriptor of a file in Unix?? Does it have anything to do with the Inode numbers?? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahulrathod
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Terminating child script with terminating the parent script

Hi I was working on a shell script with randomly shows a page of text from a randomly selected topic .As soon as the page is displayed it callers a timer script which keeps on running indefinitely until the timer script is killed by the user. This is where I have the problem,if I press... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mervin2006
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can i terminating expect script without terminating SSH connection.

Hi all , i know i ask a lot of question but these are really hard to solve and important question. I send two scripts: expect.sh: #!/usr/local/bin/expect spawn ssh root@172.30.64.163 expect "login:" send "root\n" expect "password:" send "root\n^M" interact and son.sh: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fozay
2 Replies

5. Solaris

file open/read/write/close/access by process

Hi want to know what file (descriptor+filename+socket) is being accessed by particular process on solaris. Purpose : while running perf. test, needs to find where is the bottleneck. We are providing concurrnet load for around 1 hr and needs to capture data related to file usage pattern... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raxitsheth
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Usage of NOHUP - How to keep the child process running even if I close the Server connection

Hi. ! When I use the 'NOHUP' along with the '&', the process will be running in the background. Even when I attempt to close (Meaning 'EXIT') the session (say PUTTY in this case), it wont exit unless the process is completed. But, say when I forcefully terminate the session (SHUT DOWN the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: WinBarani
2 Replies

7. Programming

when parent process close, how to close the child?

can someone provide an example, where if the parent process quits for any reason, then the child process will also close? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: omega666
3 Replies

8. AIX

AIX6.1 Remove file descriptor from specified process

Hi, How to release file description area from specified process. Problem is that process started - open one file ( ~2GB ) - file has been removed - process still shown that file is used by process and can't release space on filesystem. It is not allowable to kill process !!! Regs,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: KrzysiekPi
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Dup2 - for file descriptor opened by a different process

is it possible to duplicate file descriptors(opened by a different process) with the help of dup or dup2. the two process do not share parent child relationship as well. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: replytoshishir
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Terminating a process - is this code best practice?

Hi Folks - I am building a process to kill a list of services. Sometimes, there's a service that hangs therefore I need to add an additionla peice of code to kill all instances of a service if it exists. Here is that portion of code: echo... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: SIMMS7400
10 Replies
quotacheck(8)						      System Manager's Manual						     quotacheck(8)

Name
       quotacheck - file system quota consistency checker

Syntax
       /etc/quotacheck [ -v ] [ -f ] filesystem ...
       /etc/quotacheck [ -v ] -a

Description
       The  command examines each file system, builds a table of current disc usage, and compares this table against that stored in the disc quota
       file for the file system.  If detects any inconsistencies, it updates both the quota file and the current system copies	of  the  incorrect
       quotas.	Inconsistencies occur only if an active file system is checked.

Normally,  returns a warning if it cannot find a valid quota file.  If you use the option, creates a quota file automatically and then per-
       forms its normal functions.

If you use the flag in place of any file system name, checks all the file systems listed in to be read-write with disc quotas.

Normally reports only modified quotas. If the option is supplied, will indicate the calculated disc quotas for each user  on  a	particular
       file system.

The  command  expects each file system to be checked to have a quota file named in the root directory.  If none is present, will ignore the
       file system.

The command is normally run at boot time from the file, before enabling disc quotas with For further information, see

The command accesses the raw device in calculating the actual disc usage for each user.	Thus, the file systems checked should be quiescent
       while is running.

Files
       Default file systems

See Also
       quota(2), setquota(2), quotaon(8)
       ``Disk Quotas in a UNIX Environment,'' ULTRIX Supplementary Documents, Volume 3: System Manager

quotacheck(8)