Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Could someone help with setting loops? Post 302668633 by tukuyomi on Monday 9th of July 2012 04:43:42 PM
Old 07-09-2012
Here is a start (it's #!/bin/sh, but it should run with bash too):
Code:
#!/bin/sh

FS='|'
file=; while [ "$file" != 'done' ]; do
	[ "$file" ] && files="$files$file$FS"
	read -p 'What is the name of the file in the checkout directory?' file
done

IFS="$FS"; for file in $files; do 
	read -p "What is the target directory for $file to be promoted to?" tar
	[ "$tar" = 'done' ] && break
	[ "$tar" ] && tars="$tars$tar|"
done
exit 0

For the rest, I don't really understand all the requierments Smilie
This User Gave Thanks to tukuyomi For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

no more loops

Hello Guys I need some help with my script I'm not very good at this, hope you can point me in the right direction. My idea, to write a file with some router commands and use it on a script for me to run on a demand basis, ( or added to the cron, if I get it to work). The below script works,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tony3101
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

two loops

Hi, how can I use "for" to have two loops : this is my script : for i in (A B C) do for j in (a b c) do echo $i$j done done #End I want to print out Aa Ab Ac .... But I have error message : syntax error at line 1 : `(' unexpected Many thanks before. How should I use "for" ?? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

while loops

Hi I've a file like so: Now, I want to read my file and take ex. the Media ID and the Type for each groups of Media (Media1,Media2,...,Media(n): cat /tmp/file|\ while read FILE do while $(FILE|cut -d: -f1)=Media$i do #here will be some test, ex: #if Media ID < 23 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nymus7
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with the 2 for loops

#!/bin/bash IFS=$'\n' A= a c b t g j i e d B= t y u i o p counter=0 found="" for i in $(cat $A) do for j in $(cat $B) do if then found="yes" fi done if then (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vadharah
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

For Loops

Hi everyone, I have a question regarding for loops. I am writing a BASH shell script that will contain multiple loops. These loops all involve looping with a count: for (( a=0; a <=10; a++ )); do echo $a done If none of my multiple loops relate to each other throughout the script,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: msb65
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with for loops

Hi, I am starting to enhance my scripting knowledge and need some assistance with simple 1 line for loops. This may help to do a mass permissions change on a big apache doc root while I have an insane customer on my phone. What is the best resource to learn this skill and what are some that... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Oshie74
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with loops

I am trying to do ftp of some crt files that have spaces in the file names. I have to do approximately 4500 files ftp'ed and then check whether the trasnfered file size matches the source files. This has to be in a loop I mean 1. ftp the file, check for file size whether the source and target... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsravan
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loops

Hi All, I am very new to Shell scripting. I read basic scripting manual. But i didn't understand the code. Please tell the meaning of the below code: while getopts "F:f:R:r:C:c:" opt 2>/dev/null do case ${opt} in F|f) FREQUENCY_MODE=$OPTARG;; ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pdathu
3 Replies

9. Solaris

Is there a difference between setting a user as nologin and setting it as a role?

Trying to figure out the best method of security for oracle user accounts. In Solaris 10 they are set as regular users but have nologin set forcing the dev's to login as themselves and then su to the oracle users. In Solaris11 we have the option of making it a role because RBAC is enabled but... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: os2mac
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help with for loops

Why wont my for statements work? Im trying to get this script to swich to a user an if you put in a start/stop/or restart paramater to do just that for each user. I commented out the actual start/stop actions to test it just by using echos and not do anything hasty in the environment but it... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: LilyClaro
0 Replies
BF_TAR(1)						    Bogofilter Reference Manual 						 BF_TAR(1)

NAME
bf_tar - shell script to write a tar file of a bogofilter directory to stdout SYNOPSIS
bf_tar [-r] [-R] bogofilter_directory DESCRIPTION
bf_tar bundles a bogofilter working directory in tar format and copies it to standard output (your console, or where you redirect it, see EXAMPLES below). OPTIONS
The -r option causes bf_tar to remove inactive log files after the archive has been written successfully. The default is to leave log files. The -R option causes bf_tar to remove inactive log files before the archive is written. This may reduce chances that the resulting archive is recoverable should it become damaged. The archive may be smaller though. The default is to leave log files. EXIT STATUS
The script exits with status code 0 if everything went well, and nonzero if it encountered trouble. EXAMPLES
o bf_tar ~/.bogofilter > outfile.tar Writes a standard .tar file containing the essential files from ~/.bogofilter to outfile.tar. o bf_tar ~/.bogofilter | gzip -9 -c > outfile.tar.gz Writes a gzipped .tar.gz file containing the essential files from ~/.bogofilter to outfile.tar.gz. o bf_tar `pwd`/mydirectory > outfile.tar Prepend $(pwd)/ or `pwd`/ if you want to specify an absolute path instead of a relative path. NOTES
This script is meant for use with Berkeley DB based bogofilter versions. This script requires a SUSv2 compliant pax utility. This script expects a SUSv2 compliant shell. Solaris systems should have the SUNWxcu4 package installed (when bogofilter is configured) so that /usr/xpg4/bin/sh can be used. AUTHORS
Matthias Andree Bogofilter 10/22/2012 BF_TAR(1)