Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: pasting problem
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting pasting problem Post 302668285 by anushree.a on Monday 9th of July 2012 05:37:31 AM
Old 07-09-2012
pasting problem

Hi Friends,
Please help.
I have 2 pipe delimited files; each one has different number of rows in it. I want to use "paste" to concatenate these files.
However, while doing it, due to difference in number of rows in each files resulting file is in haphazard manner.
E.g.
file 1
Code:
Reliance Info|
Golden Gate|

File_2
Code:
020-2456854
02154-245871

Code:
When I use following command
paste file_1 file_2 >file_3

cat file_3
Code:
Reliance Info|9820414751
Golden Gate|9752412453
020-2456854
02154-245871

However I want it to look like following in excel after text-to-column.
Code:
Reliance Info	9820414751
Golden Gate	9752412453
		020-2456854
		02154-245871

_Anu

Last edited by Franklin52; 07-11-2012 at 05:03 PM.. Reason: Please use code tags for data and code samples, thank you

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

pasting text into an existing file

I have a text file that has over 300 lines that I need to paste identical data to. What is the easiest way to do this? For example if I have a file that has lines of text xxxxxxxx and I would like to change each line to look like this "display text(xxxxxxxx)". What would be the easiest way to do... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: darthur
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Trouble pasting multiple files together!!

Hi, I would like to paste multiple files together into one large file. I have 23 of them and I would like to link them on a common variable without writing all the file names out (like in a simple join). Each has about 28,000 columns, but only 17 rows. So the final product would be a single file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: etownbetty
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

pasting two files while transposing one of them

hey, I have more a structural problem. I have two input files: 1.inp: 1 2 3 a b c 2 3 4 d f g and the 2.inp 6 6 6 7 7 7 8 8 8 The goal is to get as much output files (with a name 1_2_3.dat) as lines in 1.inp are like this: 6 6 6 a 7 7 7 b 8 8 8 c (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ergy1983
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

pasting fields from two files into one

i have two files with contents file a 1234,abcf 2345,drft 4444,befr file b tom,3 sam,5 dog,7 i want to print first column of file b and join to file a and get output as below tom,1234,abcf sam,2345,drft dog,4444,befr (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dealerso
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

data searching and pasting with in the file

Hi All, I have .csv file in which I am trying to manipulate a column date, I started with awk but i am not sure how to do the below logic in . the file has a 23 columns and in the first row if the value is Trend and in the second column the value is Analysis then the program has to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shruthidwh
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Pasting a column into a text file

I have two text files: One is a single column of numbers and the other is a space delimited text file with multiple columns. I want to paste the single column of numbers into the second column of the latter text file. How do I go about doing that? Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Q] cutting from one column and pasting to another

I have a file laid out in columns with the first two lines line being: 219 432 4567 219 432 4587 I need to create a single line command to cut the characters in the 5th column and paste them back to the first column in the same file. (Hint:Two good solutions exist, one in which you use a... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mcampos7
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with pasting files in filesystem

quick question.. say i have few files in D or E drive.. i want to paste them in Filesystem that is /home/vivek folder... but when i try to do that it shows some error saying "There is not enough space on the destination. Try to remove files to make space." but i think its due to authorization... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cutting a column and pasting its number

Hello Gurus, This is my first ever post here. I tried looking for similar material but came up empty handed. Apologies if this is too verbose or if I'm not using the correct formatting. I have files containing a fixed number of elements per line; separator is a single space. Each line has the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: stdroid
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Hidden characters when pasting in vi/vim

Hello everyone. When I copy some configuration settings string from MS_Word to putty from my personal pc to a remote machine, it appears that I copy some hidden symbols, which at first, cannot be seen and appear as hidden. Some java programs did not start, and after investigation I found that: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dampio
3 Replies
paste(1)						      General Commands Manual							  paste(1)

Name
       paste - merge file data

Syntax
       paste file1 file2...
       paste -dlist file1 file2...
       paste -s [-dlist] file1 file2...

Description
       In  the	first  two forms, concatenates corresponding lines of the given input files file1, file2, etc.	It treats each file as a column or
       columns of a table and pastes them together horizontally (parallel merging).

In the last form, the command combines subsequent lines of the input file (serial merging).

In all cases, lines are glued together with the tab character, or with characters from an optionally specified  list.   Output  is  to  the
       standard output, so it can be used as the start of a pipe, or as a filter, if - is used in place of a file name.

Options
       -       Used in place of any file name, to read a line from the standard input.	(There is no prompting).

-dlist  Replaces  characters  of  all but last file with nontabs characters (default tab).  One or more characters immediately following -d
	       replace the default tab as the line concatenation character.  The list is used circularly, i. e. when exhausted, it is reused.	In
	       parallel  merging  (i. e. no -s option), the lines from the last file are always terminated with a new-line character, not from the
	       list.  The list may contain the special escape sequences: 
 (new-line), 	 (tab), \ (backslash), and  (empty string, not a null
	       character).   Quoting  may  be  necessary,  if characters have special meaning to the shell (for example, to get one backslash, use
	       -d"\\" ).
	       Without this option, the new-line characters of each but the last file (or last line in case of the -s option) are  replaced  by  a
	       tab character.  This option allows replacing the tab character by one or more alternate characters (see below).

-s      Merges  subsequent  lines  rather  than	one  from  each input file.  Use tab for concatenation, unless a list is specified with -d
	       option.	Regardless of the list, the very last character of the file is forced to be a new-line.

Examples
       ls | paste -d" " -
       list directory in one column
       ls | paste - - - -
       list directory in four columns
       paste -s -d"	
" file
       combine pairs of lines into lines

Diagnostics
       line too long
		 Output lines are restricted to 511 characters.

too many files
		 Except for -s option, no more than 12 input files may be specified.

See Also
       cut(1), grep(1), pr(1)

paste(1)