Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting for loop with internal unix command in statement throwing error Post 302667557 by methyl on Friday 6th of July 2012 12:08:41 PM
Old 07-06-2012
I can reproduce the error in Post #1 by converting the script posted to MSDOS text file format, then executing it.
Was the the script created with a Microsoft Windows editor such as Notepad?

If so, it can be fixed by removing the carriage return characters:
Code:
cat scriptname | tr -d '\r' > newscriptname

This User Gave Thanks to methyl For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

For loop statement - catch error

I'm having a question about for loops. (bash) I have the following for example: for file in `ls *.txt` do read file ... done Now when there is a file present there is no problem, now when there is no file present I get the following output in my standard mail box : "No such... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lumdev
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remote login/copy command throwing an error

Hi We had 3 server -hp112and hp146 here hp112 is production server and hp146 is staging server used for load. when i am trying to run follwing command rcp abc hp112:/dnbusr1/gbid/gbid02 it's trowing an error :- remshd: Login incorrect. But same command is working wise versa - rcp abc... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ashish_panpalia
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to convert unix command into Awk statement

Hi all, How can i use the below unix command in AWK . Can any one please suggest me how i can use. sed -e "s/which first.sh/which \$0/g" $shell > $shell.sal where $0=current program name(say current.sh) $shell=second.sh (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: krishna_gnv
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

forcefully throwing error : unix script

how can i make one script fail if some condition is not satisfied.i m writing if ..else logic in script.i need some standard command to do that ,, (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dr46014
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

for loop throwing an error

Hi Guys, I am trying a simple for loop which is throwing an error. Below is my code: #/bin/sh set -A array "are" "you" "there"; for ( i = 0 ; i < ${#array} ; i++ ) do echo ${array} done I am getting this error tci001wasd02 $ sh -vx array_for.sh #/bin/sh set -A array "are"... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mac4rfree
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mailx command in unix shell script, its throwing below error

How to use Mailx command in unix shell script, its throwing below error #!/bin/ksh let x=3 If ; then mailx -s “ $x is greater than 2” example@gmail.com << EOF This is the message body EOF fi its throwing error as syntax error at EOF... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: only4satish
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] FOR loop / IF statement returning error

The code at the bottom is a simplified example of what we have. If I use the following: && echo "echo failed" $? returns 1 When I use if ; then echo "echo failed" ; fi $? returns 0 Does anyone know what's wrong with this? Using AIX 6.1 and KSH for NUM in 1 2 3 do ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jfxdavies
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command throwing error while deleting a line from a file

Hi all, I ahve a program which has to delete a line in a file... if i run the sed command through shell prompt it works fine. But if run it using code its throwing error. May i know where i am doing wrong. the file has 3 lines # cat /root/.ssh/known_hosts... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

For Loop throwing error

Hello Gurus, I am writing one script at linux. The logic is There is a find command which will find some specific files daily and store at a variable Then echo that variable . Now when I am trying to read the variable by using for loop it is throwing error as below:cat: CKDT.dat: No such... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pokhraj_d
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Curl statement throwing extra statements

Hi all, I am running a curl statement in my script to extract some information form a remote server. My curl statement is : curl --socks5 142.133.134.164:1082 'http://11.229.52.71:8011/WebApp/common/version' This gives me an output of : $ curl --socks5 142.133.134.164:1082... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Junaid Subhani
3 Replies
diff3(1)						      General Commands Manual							  diff3(1)

Name
       diff3 - 3-way differential file comparison

Syntax
       diff3 [-ex3] file1 file2 file3

Description
       The command compares three versions of a file, and publishes the ranges of text that disagree, flagged with the following codes:

====	      all three files differ

====1       file1 is different

====2       file2 is different

====3       file3 is different

The type of change needed to convert a given range of a given file to some other is indicated in one of these ways:

f : n1 a    Text is to be appended after line number n1 in file f, where f = 1, 2, or 3.

f : n1 , n2 c
		      Text is to be changed in the range line n1 to line n2.  If n1 = n2, the range may be abbreviated to n1.

The original contents of the range follows immediately after a c indication.  When the contents of two files are identical, the contents of
       the lower-numbered file is suppressed.

Options
       -3   Produces an editor script containing the changes between file1 and file2 that are to be incorporated into file3.

-e	   Produces an editor script containing the changes between file2 and file3 that are to be incorporated into file1.

-x	   Produces an editor script containing the changes among all three files.

Examples
       Under the -e option, publishes a script for the editor that incorporates into file1 all changes between file2 and  file3  -  that  is,  the
       changes	that would normally be flagged ==== and ====3.	Option -x (-3) produces a script to incorporate only changes flagged ==== (====3).
       The following command applies the resulting script to `file1':
       (cat script; echo '1,$p') | ed - file1

Restrictions
       Text lines that consist of a single `.'	defeat -e.

Files
       /tmp/d3?????
       /usr/lib/diff3

See Also
       cmp(1), comm(1), diff(1), dffmk(1), join(1), sccsdiff(1), uniq(1)

diff3(1)