Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Performance analysis sed vs awk Post 302667449 by Scrutinizer on Friday 6th of July 2012 10:08:22 AM
Old 07-06-2012
@zer0sig, the behavior with pipes is unspecified by POSIX, but in ksh "time" times the total time, and I think in bash it does also...
Code:
time sleep 1 | { read; sleep 1 ;} | { read; sleep 1 ;}

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 07-06-2012 at 11:16 AM..

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK script: decrypt text uses frequency analysis

Ez all! I have a question how to decrypt text uses letter frequency analysis. I have code which count the letters, but what i need to do after that. Can anybody help me to write a code. VERY NEEDED! My code now: #!/usr/bin/awk -f BEGIN { FS="" } { for (i=1; i <= NF; i++) { if ($i... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SerJel
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

sed performance

hello experts, i am trying to replace a line in a 100+mb text file. the structure is similar to the passwd file, id:value1:value2 and so on. using the sed command sed -i 's/\(123\):\(\{1,\}\):/\1:bar:/' data.txt works nicely, the line "123:foo:" is replaced by "123:bar:". however, it takes... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: f3k
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

WEB Server Log File Analysis using awk/sed/grep

I'm trying to find a way to show large page sizes (page size in K) from multiple web server log files. Essentially I want to show only rows from a file where a specific column is larger than some value. Has anyone ever done this type of log analysis? If so, a snippet of code would be very... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mike_cataldo@ad
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Increase sed performance

I'm using sed to do find and replace. But since the file is huge and i have more than 1000 files to be searched, the script is taking a lot of time. Can somebody help me with a better sed command. Below is the details. Input: 1 1 2 3 3 4 5 5 Here I know the file is sorted. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gpaulose
4 Replies

5. Linux

Routing table vulnerability comparison between two versions and analysis of performance in a scenari

Hi Routing tables in a typical linux kernel are implemented using hash data structures. So if the hash table is forced to behave more like a linked list(i.e create chaining) the purpose of using hash is defeated and time complexity increases. I want to try to assess the performance deterioration... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolvaibhav
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Date and time range extraction via Awk or analysis script?

Hello does anyone know of an awk that will extract log file entries between a specific date and time range, eg: awk '/15\/Dec\/2010:16:10:00/, /15\/Dec\/2010:16:15:00/' access_log but one that works? Or a free command line log file analysis tool/script? I'd like to be able to view... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: competitions
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Log Analysis with AWK with Time difference

I would like to write a shell script that calculated the time difference bettween the log entries. If the time difference is higher as 200 sec. print the complette lines out. My Problem is, i am unable to jump in the next line and calculate the time difference. Thank you for your Help. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: fabian3010
5 Replies

8. Red Hat

What is the best tools for performance data gathering and analysis?

Dear Guru, IHAC who complaint that his CentOS is getting performance issue. I have to help him out of there. Could you please tell me which tools is better to gathering the whole system performance data? -- CPU/Memory/IO(disk & Network)/swap I would like the tools could be... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: devyfong
6 Replies
GREP(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   GREP(1)

NAME
grep - search a file for a pattern SYNOPSIS
grep [ option ... ] pattern [ file ... ] DESCRIPTION
Grep searches the input files (standard input default) for lines (with newlines excluded) that match the pattern, a regular expression as defined in regexp(6). Normally, each line matching the pattern is `selected', and each selected line is copied to the standard output. The options are -c Print only a count of matching lines. -h Do not print file name tags (headers) with output lines. -i Ignore alphabetic case distinctions. The implementation folds into lower case all letters in the pattern and input before interpre- tation. Matched lines are printed in their original form. -l (ell) Print the names of files with selected lines; don't print the lines. -L Print the names of files with no selected lines; the converse of -l. -n Mark each printed line with its line number counted in its file. -s Produce no output, but return status. -v Reverse: print lines that do not match the pattern. Output lines are tagged by file name when there is more than one input file. (To force this tagging, include /dev/null as a file name argument.) Care should be taken when using the shell metacharacters $*[^|()= and newline in pattern; it is safest to enclose the entire expression in single quotes '...'. SOURCE
/sys/src/cmd/grep.c SEE ALSO
ed(1), awk(1), sed(1), sam(1), regexp(6) DIAGNOSTICS
Exit status is null if any lines are selected, or non-null when no lines are selected or an error occurs. GREP(1)