Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to ping from Windows to Solaris 10 and vice versa? Post 302667223 by roman015 on Thursday 5th of July 2012 10:57:27 PM
Old 07-05-2012
I once tried to make a network of 4 Ubuntu machines and I couldn't get them to ping each other "as is". I had to set up VirtualBox to actually create a dhcp server for the devices, after which they could ping each other (And their ip addresses changed as well too) and Then I could do whatever networking I wanted between the devices.

Google for "vboxmanage to create network". You should be able to find links which suggest a command like this one:
Code:
VBoxManage dhcpserver add --netname intnet --ip 192.168.59.1 \     --netmask 255.255.255.0 --lowerip 192.168.59.2 --upperip 192.168.59.255

Hope this helps...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

QNX host cannot ping SCO host, vice versa

The problem I am facing now is that the QNX host could not ping the SCO host and vice versa. They are in the same domain, ie, 172.20.3.xx. As I am very new to Unix, I guess I must have missed out some important steps. Pls help... Thanx alot (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gavon
2 Replies

2. Programming

binary to string conversion and vice versa

please let me know that in unix using c programming language we can do binary to string conversion and vice versa using ltoa and atol but how can we do it in c++ programming language. thank you in advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kinnaree
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pdf to text conversion and vice versa

Hi, I have a pdf file. i want to convert it to text file and do some work on it and later want to convert it back to pdf. Can this be done via unix? or Is there a way unix can directly work on PDF file? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saltysumi
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Appending from a file to a script and vice versa

Hi, I am new to Unix and discovered this example problem online that I believe will help my learning: Run the command's below env >> xx env >> xx env >> xx env >> xx env >> xx You will now have a file called XX with the env redirected into it 5 times Create a script named... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jimmy_c
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Uppercase to lowercase and vice versa

shell script to convert file names from UPPERCASE to lowercase file names or vice versa in linux anybody please help me out!!!! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacky29
5 Replies

6. Ubuntu

What is the advantage of ubuntu over vista and vice versa?

i am thinking of replacing my vista with ubuntu. Questions: 1) what will be the advantages and disadvantages of using ubuntu instead of vista? 2) what will be the setbacks of replacing my vista? 3) how hard is it to cope up with the new OS? what must i learn to utilize ubuntu? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Anna Hussie
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Windows network share visible to Solaris 9 host and vice versa

Hi, I have a Windows server running WinSVR 2008R2 with a network share configured \\hostname\JSS_Share I would like to be able to mount this share on a Solaris host running Solaris 9. I would also like to mount a directory on the Solaris host and make it visible to the Windows server. The idea... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jamba1
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem with scp from one server to the other (but not vice versa)

Hi I have a system PRIMARY where I can push or pull files to/from STANDBY using scp. I can also ssh without entering a password. On the STANDBY system if I try and use scp or ssh it asks for a password. I checked in ~/.ssh and there was no authorized_keys file on the PRIMARY server. After... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrrossi
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting from Centigrade to Fahrenheit and vice versa.

I need to write a script that will take the input from a file and convert the number from centigrade to fahrenheit and vice versa. This is what I have but it doesn't seem to be correct. Also the data file has 11 numbers inside of it and the output needs to be listed as so: Fahrenheit Temperature... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: N1ckNak
18 Replies

10. IP Networking

How to transfer files from UNIX server to windows machine or vice versa using ftp or sftp commands?

hi, i want to write a shell script code which transfers files from a directory in unix server to a directory in a windows machine.. can any1 give me a sample code which uses ftp or sftp command.. thanks very much, (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Little
3 Replies
GRE(4)							   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						    GRE(4)

NAME
gre -- encapsulating network device SYNOPSIS
To compile the driver into the kernel, place the following line in the kernel configuration file: device gre Alternatively, to load the driver as a module at boot time, place the following line in loader.conf(5): if_gre_load="YES" DESCRIPTION
The gre network interface pseudo device encapsulates datagrams into IP. These encapsulated datagrams are routed to a destination host, where they are decapsulated and further routed to their final destination. The ``tunnel'' appears to the inner datagrams as one hop. gre interfaces are dynamically created and destroyed with the ifconfig(8) create and destroy subcommands. This driver corresponds to RFC 2784. Encapsulated datagrams are prepended an outer datagram and a GRE header. The GRE header specifies the type of the encapsulated datagram and thus allows for tunneling other protocols than IP. GRE mode is also the default tunnel mode on Cisco routers. gre also supports Cisco WCCP protocol, both version 1 and version 2. The gre interfaces support a number of additional parameters to the ifconfig(8): grekey Set the GRE key used for outgoing packets. A value of 0 disables the key option. enable_csum Enables checksum calculation for outgoing packets. enable_seq Enables use of sequence number field in the GRE header for outgoing packets. EXAMPLES
192.168.1.* --- Router A -------tunnel-------- Router B --- 192.168.2.* / / +------ the Internet ------+ Assuming router A has the (external) IP address A and the internal address 192.168.1.1, while router B has external address B and internal address 192.168.2.1, the following commands will configure the tunnel: On router A: ifconfig greN create ifconfig greN inet 192.168.1.1 192.168.2.1 ifconfig greN inet tunnel A B route add -net 192.168.2 -netmask 255.255.255.0 192.168.2.1 On router B: ifconfig greN create ifconfig greN inet 192.168.2.1 192.168.1.1 ifconfig greN inet tunnel B A route add -net 192.168.1 -netmask 255.255.255.0 192.168.1.1 NOTES
The MTU of gre interfaces is set to 1476 by default, to match the value used by Cisco routers. This may not be an optimal value, depending on the link between the two tunnel endpoints. It can be adjusted via ifconfig(8). For correct operation, the gre device needs a route to the decapsulating host that does not run over the tunnel, as this would be a loop. The kernel must be set to forward datagrams by setting the net.inet.ip.forwarding sysctl(8) variable to non-zero. SEE ALSO
gif(4), inet(4), ip(4), me(4), netintro(4), protocols(5), ifconfig(8), sysctl(8) A description of GRE encapsulation can be found in RFC 2784 and RFC 2890. AUTHORS
Andrey V. Elsukov <ae@FreeBSD.org> Heiko W.Rupp <hwr@pilhuhn.de> BUGS
The current implementation uses the key only for outgoing packets. Incoming packets with a different key or without a key will be treated as if they would belong to this interface. The sequence number field also used only for outgoing packets. BSD
November 7, 2014 BSD