Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Removing blanks, spaces
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Removing blanks, spaces Post 302665641 by jayan_jay on Tuesday 3rd of July 2012 02:43:38 AM
Old 07-03-2012
One more way .. (Based on the input given)
Code:
$ nawk '{$1=$1};1' infile | paste -d" " - - - - -
TT0000013101640| HCAMBLAMCNB010|Jul 3 2012 11:14AM| HARYANA| Bangali Mohalla | TCL-UBR|9368040005|9355264655|9218509220|NULL
TT0000013101695| QCKNKEKKUIB001|Jul 3 2012 11:17AM| JHARKHAND| Kathkamkuli| Uninor|9386897706|7488049301|9122112522|NULL
TT0000013101724| MCSLOOSLOOB001|Jul 3 2012 11:18AM| MAHARASHTRA + GOA| SELOO| TULIP|9325405402|9325406984|9953194983|NULL
$

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing spaces

hey.. i had a problem with the unix command when i want to remove the white spaces in a string..i guess i cud do it with a sed command but i get an error when i give space in the square brackets.. string="nh hjh llk" p=`echo $string | sed 's/ //g'` i donno how to give space charater and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sahithi_khushi
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing spaces...

Hey, I'm using the command from this thread https://www.unix.com/unix-dummies-questions-answers/590-converting-list-into-line.html to convert vertical lines to horzontal lines. But I need to remove the spaces that is created. Unfortunately I can't figure out where the space is in the code.. I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lost
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing spaces from data

Hi, I want to remove spaces from data. Data is: 1,aa ,21, 22 2,a a ,23 ,24 3, ,25 ,26 output should be: 1,aa,21,22 2,a a,23,24 3, ,25,26 i.e i have to remove leading and trailing spaces.Not the space between data and also i dont want to remove the space if data is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: monika
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing blanks in a text tab delimited file

Hi Experts I am very new to perl and need to make a script using perl. I would like to remove blanks in a text tab delimited file in in a specfic column range ( colum 21 to column 43) sample input and output shown below : Input: 117 102 650 652 654 656 117 93 95... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Faisal Riaz
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing blank spaces, tab spaces from file

Hello All, I am trying to remove all tabspaces and all blankspaces from my file using sed & awk, but not getting proper code. Please help me out. My file is like this (<b> means one blank space, <t> means one tab space)- $ cat file NARESH<b><b><b>KUMAR<t><t>PRADHAN... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: NARESH1302
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing spaces in a line

Hi All, I have a line like this " field1;field2;field3 " (single space after and before double quotes). Now i have to remove these single space . Kindly help me. Thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishna_gnv
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing spaces within Filename

Hello, I have a Folder (myfile) which contain the following files: P$12789865KR +N+01+OM+16102009165416.nu P$M1-508962GD +N+01+ALP+14102009094417.nu Is there a sed command(s) that will loop through this folder and remove the spaces that exists in the filename? Any help would be... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fishn
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing spaces in filenames

I have a problem mounting images because of the spaces in the filenames. Does anyone know how to rename files by removing the spaces with the find command? find Desktop/$dir -name "*.dmg" -print -exec ??? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ianebaj
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing spaces in the second field alone

Consider my input string as "abc|b f g|bj gy" I am expecting the output as "abc|bfg|bj gy". Please let me know how to achieve this in unix? Thanks (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: pandeesh
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing spaces between parenthesis ()

Hello, i 've go a file with the following text: oracle@das (J005) 0 oracle@das (J008) 0 oracle@das (J050) 0 oracle@das (J038) ... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: nms
15 Replies
fspec(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual							  fspec(4)

NAME
fspec - format specification in text files DESCRIPTION
It is sometimes convenient to maintain text files on the HP-UX system with non-standard tabs, (meaning tabs that are not set at every eighth column). Generally, such files must be converted to a standard format - frequently by replacing all tabs with the appropriate num- ber of spaces - before they can be processed by HP-UX system commands. A format specification occurring in the first line of a text file specifies how tabs are to be expanded in the remainder of the file. A format specification consists of a sequence of parameters separated by blanks and surrounded by the brackets and Each parameter consists of a keyletter, possibly followed immediately by a value. The following parameters are recognized: The parameter specifies tab settings for the file. The value of tabs must be one of the following: 1. A list of column numbers separated by commas, indicating tabs set at the specified columns; 2. A followed immediately by an integer n, indicating tabs at intervals of n columns; 3. A followed by the name of a ``canned'' tab specification. Standard tabs are specified by or equivalently, etc. Recognized canned tabs are defined by the command (see tabs(1)). The parameter specifies a maximum line size. The value of size must be an integer. Size checking is performed after tabs have been expanded, but before the margin is inserted at the beginning of the line. The parameter specifies a number of spaces to be inserted at the beginning of each line. The value of margin must be an integer. The parameter takes no value. Its presence indicates that the line containing the format specification is to be deleted from the converted file. The parameter takes no value. Its presence indicates that the current format is to prevail only until another format specification is encountered in the file. Default values (assumed for parameters not supplied) are and If the parameter is not specified, no size checking is performed. If the first line of a file does not contain a format specification, the above defaults are assumed for the entire file. The following is an example of a line containing a format specification: If a format specification can be disguised as a comment, it is not necessary to code the parameter. Several HP-UX system commands correctly interpret the format specification for a file. Among them is which can be used to convert files to a standard format acceptable to other HP-UX system commands. SEE ALSO
ed(1), newform(1), tabs(1). fspec(4)