Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Help with recursive command
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help with recursive command Post 302664897 by Scrutinizer on Sunday 1st of July 2012 09:59:41 AM
Old 07-01-2012
If you are using a recursive function you need to call the function itself inside the function, I don't see that happening here (perhaps you meant to write "recursive" instead of removeDir or vice versa?) Also it is good to use function parameters and/or local variables..

What is a bit confusing is the use of the mv command, since then you would not need recursion, but you could do just one mv. The rm command is another matter..

Lastly, pay attention to proper quotation around variable references or it will not work for files with spaces in the name (do you really need the $files variable?)..

Good luck,

S.

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 07-01-2012 at 01:20 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

recursive nice value

Hi all, I have a running process that will spawn a large number of perl processes. How can I set that these all get spawned with a low priority nice value? I don't mind if all perl related processes take this level. Note, the executing script is compiled and can not be altered at a code... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nhatch
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Non recursive find command

Hi, I have question is related to find command. I want to find command should search in current folder only not recursive mode(sub-folders). I found a one way of, find . \( -name success -prune \) -o -name "Rajini*" How ever, my current folder is having lots sub-folders and am not... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nagapandi
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help with recursive copy command

Hi Guys, I am experiencing a problem right now while copying a directory as well as its subdirectories to my target directory. I know this is a very simple UNIX command using cp -R source directory target directory. but unfortunatley while doing this an error comes up on the command line saying... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Knowledge_Xfer
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Recursive Permissions???

Is there anyway that I can change permissions on a directory and all its sub-directories and files using one single "chmod" command?? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: the_red_dove
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command to sort directories after a recursive find

find -type d -name "TC_*" | sort That's what I have so far... it finds the appropriate directories and then sorts them. But, when it comes to nested subdirectories, it only sorts relative to the first subdirectory. I want it to sort based on the directory at the end of the path. Does anyone know... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: crimsondarkn
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command running for all recursive files

hi, I have installed ACL(access control list) in my ubuntu box in order to know which all are the users having permissions to read and write the files; If u run the command like; $getfacl /root/ It will give following output: # file: root/ # owner: root # group: root user::rwx... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajaypadvi
2 Replies

7. Solaris

date command, loop/recursive

is it possible to use output of one date command as input of another? I would like to know the date of Monday two weeks ago. so, the idea is that one date command subtracts two weeks, and the other finds the Monday. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: orange47
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Non Recursive Find Command

Hello Unix Gurus, I am using the following find commands: 1) find Input_Path -name '*.' -exec mv -f {} Outputpath \; 2) find Inputpath -name '*.' -exec cp {} Outputpath \; 3) find Somepath -name '*.' Now the problem is my Unix version does not support maxdepth Option for find... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pchegoor
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help needed - find command for recursive search

Hi All I have a requirement to find the file that are most latest to be modified in each directory. Can somebody help with the command please? E.g of the problem. The directory A is having sub directory which are having subdirectory an so on. I need a command which will find the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudeep.id
2 Replies

10. Solaris

Command failed for target 'check-recursive' error

Sorry if this is the wrong place for this. I haven't done UNIX Admin in a long time and am trying to update the utilities on a Solaris server so that I can get Apache 2.4.25 installed. I am finding a lot of utilities that are just too far out of date and some versions are no longer supported. So... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: PJ_Namias
0 Replies
command(1)						      General Commands Manual							command(1)

NAME
command - execute a simple command SYNOPSIS
command_name [argument ...] DESCRIPTION
enables the shell to treat the arguments as a simple command, suppressing the shell function lookup. If command_name is not the name of the function, the effect of is the same as omitting command. Operands recognizes the following operands: command_name The name of a HP-UX command or a shell built-in command. argument One or more strings to be interpreted as arguments to command_name. The command is necessary to allow functions that have the same name as a command to call the command (instead of a recursive call to the function). Nothing in the description of is intended to imply that the command line is parsed any differently than any other simple command. For example, is not parsed in any special way that causes or to be treated other than a pipe operator or semicolon or that prevents function lookup on b or c. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
Environment Variables determines the search path used during the command search. RETURN VALUE
exits with one of the following values: o If fails: 126 The utility specified by the command_name is found but not executable. 127 An error occurred in the utility or the utility specified by command_name is not found. o If does not fail: The exit status of is the same as that of the simple command specified by the arguments: command_name[argument ...] EXAMPLES
Create a version of the command that always prints the name of the new working directory whenever it is used: cd() { command "$@" >/dev/null pwd } Circumvent the redefined command above, and change directories without printing the name of the new working directory: SEE ALSO
getconf(1), sh-posix(1), confstr(3C). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
command(1)