Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Generic speed question (PHP vs.) Post 302663981 by MoreCowbell on Thursday 28th of June 2012 04:54:56 PM
Old 06-28-2012
I was hoping for a more generalized discussion. My code is full of so many oddball things I'd have to try to explain... at its root it's just simple calculations, like:

pseudocode:
Code:
<?php
function factorial($number) {     if ($number < 2) {
        return 1;
    } else {
        return ($number * factorial($number-1));
     }
}
 print factorial(10);
 ?>

It's nothing groundbreaking, just simple multiplications. In my case it's just... a lot of them. Currently thousands of multiplications per request, which takes less than a second.

As more variables are thrown in, each request will grow to hundreds of thousands of calculations per request, at which point processing time will begin to become a concern.

I suppose my question is - knowing PHP reasonably well, is there a way I can optimize the current code to run faster, maybe find some way to tap multiple cores simultaneously via some type of multithreading, or would I be better served finding a faster provider, or should I suck it up and learn Java or C++ or whatever-else could allow me to send in some values and perform a million calculations as fast as possible given a simple, generic linux hosting account.

Thanks!

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

GENERIC Kernel

How do I update, change, reconfigure or whatever it is that I have to do, in order to rid the GENERIC label. It just means that it is the basic kernel shipped with the OS right? Im using FBSD 4.5 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: savage
2 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

dmidecode, RAM speed = "Current Speed: Unknown"

Hello, I have a Supermicro server with a P4SCI mother board running Debian Sarge 3.1. This is the "dmidecode" output related to RAM info: RAM speed information is incomplete.. "Current Speed: Unknown", is there anyway/soft to get the speed of installed RAM modules? thanks!! Regards :)... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Santi
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Challenging Compare and validate question -- plus speed.

I have a tab delimited HUGE file (13 million records) with Detail, Metadata and Summary records. Sample File looks like this M BESTWESTERN 4 ACTIVITY_CNT_L12 A 3 M AIRTRAN 4 ACTIVITY_CNT_L12 A 3 D BESTWESTERN FIRSTNAME LASTNAME 209 N SANBORN AVE D BESTWESTERN FIRSTNAME LASTNAME 6997... (25 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhunk
25 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

generic way - help required

All, This is what I did: Suppose: $ line="23|12|21" $ eval $(echo "$line" | awk -F'|' '{print "V1="$1";V2="$2";V3="$3}') $ echo $V1 23 $ echo $V2 12 $ echo $V3 21 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: uwork72
3 Replies

5. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

data from blktrace: read speed V.S. write speed

I analysed disk performance with blktrace and get some data: read: 8,3 4 2141 2.882115217 3342 Q R 195732187 + 32 8,3 4 2142 2.882116411 3342 G R 195732187 + 32 8,3 4 2144 2.882117647 3342 I R 195732187 + 32 8,3 4 2145 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: W.C.C
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generic Filewatcher

Hi, I have a requirement wherein i need to have a generic file watcher in place. On presence of a file in a particular directory,the file watcher should identify the related config file and execute the series of the shell scripts mentioned in the config file. eg.Config file a.sh b.sh... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dikesm
7 Replies
MAIN(3) 								 1								   MAIN(3)

main - Dummy formain(3)

There  is  no  function  named	main(3)  except  in  the  PHP  source.	In  PHP  4.3.0,  a  new  type  of error handling in the PHP source
       (php_error_docref) was introduced. One feature is to provide links to a	manual	page  in  PHP  error  messages	when  the  PHP	directives
       html_errors (on by default) and docref_root (on by default until PHP 4.3.2) are set.

Sometimes  error messages refer to a manual page for the function main(3) which is why this page exists. If you discover such a reference,
       please file a bug report, indicating the PHP function caused the error that linked to main(3) and it will be fixed and properly documented.

Known errors that point to main(3)

+----------------+-----------------------------+
       | Function name	|			      |
       |		|			      |
       |		| No longer points here as of |
       |		|			      |
       |  include(3)	|			      |
       |		|			      |
       |		|	     5.1.0	      |
       |		|			      |
       |include_once(3) |			      |
       |		|			      |
       |		|	     5.1.0	      |
       |		|			      |
       |  require(3)	|			      |
       |		|			      |
       |		|	     5.1.0	      |
       |		|			      |
       |require_once(3) |			      |
       |		|			      |
       |		|	     5.1.0	      |
       |		|			      |
       html_errors, display_errors.

PHP Documentation Group 														   MAIN(3)