Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Solaris 10 Installation - Disks missing, and Raid Post 302663067 by hicksd8 on Wednesday 27th of June 2012 01:41:59 PM
Old 06-27-2012
So you can't see c1t1d0 and c1t3d0 which just happen to be the second and fourth drives in the numbering sequence. This box has built in raid 1 controller (also can do raid 0) so it looks like c1t0d0 is mirrored to c1t1d0, and c1t2d0 is mirrored to c1t3d0 by the built-in hardware raid controller.

The command to configure all this stuff is "raidctl". Google for that.

The -S switch on raidctl will tell you the status/existing config.

If you boot into single user:

Code:

boot cdrom -s

you should be able to run that command. You can use the same command (see man pages) to break these mirrors after which your box should see all eight drives.

Don't think you'll get a raid 10 without fitting another hardware raid controller capable of the job.

Last edited by hicksd8; 06-27-2012 at 02:47 PM..
This User Gave Thanks to hicksd8 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Solaris 10 x86 Installation Will Not Boot From CD Disks

Problem: Am trying to install Solaris 10 x86 on a desktop PC (PC details unspecified) from downloaded iso images (5 in all) on 5 CD disks. These were downloaded from the Sun website and unzipped. I install Disk 1of 5 into the CD drive and then restart the machine, thinkng that it will launch... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: RobSand
5 Replies

2. Red Hat

IBM RAID disks

We have a Red Hat linux server running on IBM x445 hardware. There are external disks in an IBM EXP300 disk enclosure. The system is running RAID 5. One of the four IBM disks (73.4 GB 10k FRU 06P5760) has become faulty. The system is still up and running OK because of the RAID. In that same EXP300... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pdudley
3 Replies

3. Solaris

Move disks to different StorEdge, keeping RAID

Hi. I need to move a 5 disk RAID5 array from a SE3310 box to a different SE3310 array. After installing the disks in the "new" StorEdge device, I "would like" ;) to be able have access to the data which is on the RAID. Essentially, the quesion is, how can this be done? :confused: I checked... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexs77
5 Replies

4. Solaris

Solaris not recognizing RAID 5 disks

I've just installed Sol 10 Update 9 on a Sun 4140 server and have a RAID 1 configuration (2 136 Gb drives) for the OS and have created a RAID 5 array (6 136 GB) drives. When i log into the system I am unable to see the RAID 5 disks at all. I've tried using the devfsadm command but no luck and... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: goose25
9 Replies

5. Linux

If i don't have raid disks can i shut down dmraid device-mapper?

hello my centOS newly installed system loading dmraid modules on startup I did remove all LVM/raid things from system installation menus and after installation too but dmraid is still there and he says: no raid disks found also I did modprobe -r dm_raid45 and it do remove it but only until... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: tip78
7 Replies

6. AIX

SCSI PCI - X RAID Controller card RAID 5 AIX Disks disappeared

Hello, I have a scsi pci x raid controller card on which I had created a disk array of 3 disks when I type lspv ; I used to see 3 physical disks ( two local disks and one raid 5 disk ) suddenly the raid 5 disk array disappeared ; so the hardware engineer thought the problem was with SCSI... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
0 Replies

7. Solaris

Disks not reconize during solaris 10 installation

Hi all, I am installing Solaris 10 on a new server Sun Blade X6270. During the installation i get this error: ''disk not found'' I try to replug the disks but the same error eppear. Disks reference: SAS 146GB Seagate 10000RPM Do i need to install disk or controller's driver? or do another... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saki_jumeau
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Disks missing from /devices folder. Not sure why.

Help Please! I picked up a V440 and it has 4 disks. I installed Solaris fine to disk 3, but I cannot see the other disks in Solaris. I have run probe-scsi-all from OBP and I see the other disks and they have names in devalias AFAIK. It's just in Solaris they do not appear. I have run... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: greg1975
6 Replies

9. Solaris

Hardware RAID using three disks

Dear All , Pl find the below command , # raidctl -l Controller: 1 Volume:c1t0d0 Disk: 0.0.0 Disk: 0.1.0 Disk: 0.3.0 # raidctl -l c1t0d0 Volume Size Stripe Status Cache RAID Sub Size ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jegaraman
10 Replies

10. Solaris

Missing ASM Disks in Solaris 11.3 LDOM

Hi Guys, Just a quick question hopefully someone will have seen this before and will be able to enlighten me. I have been doing some Infrastructure Verification Testing and one of the tests was booting the primary domain from alternate disks, this all went well - however on restarting one of... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gull04
7 Replies
ri(7)							 Miscellaneous Information Manual						     ri(7)

NAME
ri - I2O RAID disk interface SYNOPSIS
bus i2o0 at pci2001 slot 4 controller i2o_bs0 at i2o0 slot 18 DESCRIPTION
The ri driver supports 32-bit and 64-bit PCI backplane RAID controllers with Intelligent I/O (I2O) host interface supporting backend SCSI channels. I2O is an open architecture for developing device drivers that is independent of the operating system, processor platform, and system I/O bus. The communication model is based on a message-passing protocol reducing the number of driver interfaces needed. A single driver called an Operating System Module(OSM) is provided to support all Block Storage class devices. Any RAID system that supports the I2O interface functions with this driver. These devices are designated as ri to distinguish them from ra, re, and rz (SCSI) devices. The StorageWorks Command Console Utility (SWCC) is supported for online configuration and monitoring of I2O raid devices. The following rules are used to determine the major and minor numbers that are associated with an ri type disk. A dynamic major number is used to represent ri block devices, and is assigned during initial configuration. The current major number can be determined using the following command: # /sbin/devswmgr -getnum i2o_bs The preceding command displays the driver switch reservation list, showing the device instance and major number for the i2o_bs driver. An alternative method is: # /sbin/sysconfig -q i2o_bs The highest 14 bits of the 20-bit minor number represents a particular Block Storage device, while lowest six bits of the minor number specify disk partitions (identified by the letters, a through h) on that device. The device special file names associated with ri disks are based on conventions that are closely associated with the minor number assigned to the disk. The standard device names begin with ri for block special files and rri for character (raw) special files. Following the ri is the unit number and then a letter, a through h, that represents the partition. Throughout this reference page, the question mark (?) character represents the unit number in the name of the device special file. For example, ri?b could represent ri0b, ri1b, and so on. A disk can be accessed through either the block special file or the character special file. The block special file accesses the disk using the file system's normal buffering mechanism. Reads and writes to the block special file can specify any size. This capability avoids the need to limit data transfers to the size of physical disk records and to calculate offsets within disk records. The file system can break up large read and write requests into smaller fixed size transfers to the disk. The character special file provides a raw interface that allows for direct transmission between the disk and the user's read or write buf- fer. A single read/write operation to the raw interface results in exactly one I/O operation. Consequently, raw I/O may be considerably more efficient for large transfers. For systems with ri disks, the first software boot after the system is powered on may take longer than expected. This delay is normal and is caused by the software spinning up the ri disks. Disk Support The ri driver handles all disk drives that can be connected to the I2O RAID controller. To determine which drives are supported for spe- cific CPU types and hardware configurations, see the hardware installation and configuration information for your I2O system. I2O RAID Controllers are viewed in all cases as RI type disks. There are some notable differences that should be taken into consideration when configuring a RAID device: Currently only sector sizes of 512 bytes are supported. Logical Volume sizes are not fixed sizes as com- pared to other disk devices. The size of the Logical Volume is configurable based on needs. The dynamic nature of Logical Volume sizes is dealt with by defining RAID devices as DYNAMIC. Only partitions a, b, c, and g are defined. If necessary, the disklabel(8) command can be run to change and define partitions for RAID devices Usually, the ri?a partition is used for the root file system and the ri?b partition as a paging area. The ri?c partition can be used for disk-to-disk copying because it maps the entire disk. The starting location and length (in 512 byte sectors) of the disk partitions of each drive are shown in the following table. Partition sizes can be changed by using the disklabel(8) command. I2O RAID partitions for systems based on the Alpha AXP architecture disk start length ri?a 0 131072 ri?b 131072 262144 ri?c 0 end of media ri?d 0 0 ri?e 0 0 ri?f 0 0 ri?g 393216 end of media ri?h 0 0 FILES
/dev/disk/ri??? /dev/disk/rri??? RELATED INFORMATION
RAID(7), SCSI(7), tz(7), rz(7),disklabel(8), MAKEDEV(8), uerf(8) delim off ri(7)