Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Unix vs linux in the job place and other questions Post 302662719 by bakunin on Wednesday 27th of June 2012 03:56:05 AM
Old 06-27-2012
Unixes (and Linuxes) have most features, commands, concepts, etc. in common. If you learn one Unix - any Unix - and sit down in front of another one you will be able to do anything a user wants to do without even thinking. Alas, the finer points of administration - management of users, filesystems, network adapters, tuning, etc. - can differ widely. So, while any Unix system is almost the same from a user POV it can differ widely for the administrator.

The position of software developers is somewhere in between: Unix is more like a standard than a certain system and in principle, if you use all the standard Unix system calls you are guaranteed to be able to compile the same source and have it run on any other Unix-system unchanged. Well, that is the theory and while the practice is of course different it comes remarkably close to being so.

Always bear in mind that Unix is not only an OS at all. Unix comes out of academic research and it is as much a culture as it is an OS. Most times it isn't about doing something, but doing it right. In this regard right usually means "being in tune with a long-term strategic plan and according to some bigger concept of how things can and should be done". This makes Unix systems, diverse as they may be, quite predictable on a certain level. There are only so many ways to do something in the "right" way.

This "right way" is often something hard to point at. Like, say, the concept of "fairness" or "justice" it is hard to explain what exactly it encompasses. Still, anyone immersed in the same culture will immediately recognize a thing to be "just" or the opposite in a very consistent way. The judgement of Unix people about attempts at a solution being right or wrong will converge over time to a similar degree.

I hope this helps.

bakunin
This User Gave Thanks to bakunin For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Is there a place like this for LINUX questions?

Is there some place like this unix.com for linux questions? a forum like area to ask questions? I love this site, i've learned a lot (use unix - solaris, and linux - redhat). Unfortunately redhat.com has gotten rid of their support forums, everything is in a list type format and I don't want to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kymberm
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Absolute n00b questions about Unix / Linux

Hi All, I have absolutely no experince with either one, and would LOVE to start from somewhere! So please guide me to some web sites (beside these great forums of course!) that I can obtain n00b information. (Books, links, resources, etc.) What software OS? should I begin with? I have heard... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: CodeHunter
2 Replies

3. What is on Your Mind?

Questions about Unix/Linux

Hello all. Im a young lad with very limited experience with computers, even though I have been playing with them the past 5 years. I have the experience of the random World of Warcraft player that plays games all day. I have a huge interest in learning everything about computers and I was... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vallzi
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix/Linux Scripts questions

Hi All, You have a very large file, named 'ColCheckMe', tab-delimited, that you are asked to process. You are told that each line in 'ColCheckMe' has 7 columns, and that the values in the 5th column are integers. Using shell functions (and standard LINUX/UNIX filters), indicate how you would... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: am2007
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What are job prospects for Unix Linux administrator?

What are job prospects for Unix Linux administrator? How much does the Linux administrator suppose to earn nowadays? I notice that the IT wage scale has been dropping across the board in Canada so I wonder if Linux administrator enumeration is affected too. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sito
3 Replies

6. Advertise with Us

How to Post to The UNIX and Linux Forums Job Board

The UNIX and Linux Job Board is a service provided by the The UNIX and Linux Forums to help employers connect with UNIX and Linux professionals. All proceeds from this service go towards supporting the forums. Please PM Neo or email with any questions about this service. Promotion A: $99 ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies

7. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

UNIX/Linux for Windows? and a few other questions...

1) I want UNIX but I don't want to partition my hard drive. I have heard of programs that allow you to start UNIX from Windows but I don't know which one is good. Something like WinLinux (not too sure???) Anyone know which programs I'm talking about? 2) Is Linux UNIX? 3) How do you pronounce... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: CornNuts
9 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Few questions on unix/linux

Hi , please give few answers for this questions:confused::confused: ...thanks in advance What shell do you use when you log in to a UNIX/Linux host? What command will show you the shell you're using? Describe 5 things you can do in Linux/UNIX. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hecker007
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix and Linux questions

Sorry for the dumb question......I got my B.S. in computer science Amazing how I don't these answers).....I wrote mostly in the language C in my college career. I wrote all my programs using a windows application for writing C.....and then after testing it, I would upload it to a UNIX system and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Bruuuuce78
1 Replies
DateTime::Format::Epoch::Unix(3pm)			User Contributed Perl Documentation			DateTime::Format::Epoch::Unix(3pm)

NAME
DateTime::Format::Epoch::Unix - Convert DateTimes to/from Unix epoch seconds SYNOPSIS
use DateTime::Format::Epoch::Unix; my $dt = DateTime::Format::Epoch::Unix->parse_datetime( 1051488000 ); # 2003-04-28T00:00:00 DateTime::Format::Epoch::Unix->format_datetime($dt); # 1051488000 my $formatter = DateTime::Format::Epoch::Unix->new(); my $dt2 = $formatter->parse_datetime( 1051488000 ); $formatter->format_datetime($dt2); DESCRIPTION
This module can convert a DateTime object (or any object that can be converted to a DateTime object) to the number of seconds since the Unix epoch. METHODS
Most of the methods are the same as those in DateTime::Format::Epoch. The only difference is the constructor. o new() Constructor of the formatter/parser object. It has no parameters. SUPPORT
Support for this module is provided via the datetime@perl.org email list. See http://lists.perl.org/ for more details. AUTHOR
Eugene van der Pijll <pijll@gmx.net> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2003 Eugene van der Pijll. All rights reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. SEE ALSO
DateTime datetime@perl.org mailing list perl v5.10.1 2007-12-03 DateTime::Format::Epoch::Unix(3pm)