Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Apply file permission
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Apply file permission Post 302661261 by alister on Monday 25th of June 2012 05:37:45 AM
Old 06-25-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by itkamaraj
Code:
stat -c '%a' filename.txt

stat(1) varies a great deal from one implementation to another (e.g., BSD stat has no -c option, some other systems don't even have the utility at all).

Your suggestion is GNU stat. If GNU stat is available, then the system has GNU chmod (they're both part of GNU coreutils), in which case the task is most easily accomplished with chmod --reference f1 f2

If portability is mandatory, then something unfortunately complex, like jayan_jay's suggestion, may be required.

Regards,
Alister

Last edited by alister; 06-25-2012 at 06:51 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Apply patch for make file.

I just downloaded a updating make file to build Ethereal to .dll file, but I don't know how to update the old make file with this new one. Please help.. thnx a lot. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: blueblood
1 Replies

2. Cybersecurity

file permission/acl: 2 users with write access on 1 file...

Hello, i need some help/advice on how to solve a particular problem. these are the users: |name | group | ---------- --------------- |boss | department1 | |assistant | department1 | |employee | department1 | |spy | department2 | this is the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: elzalem
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Apply Password to already Written XLS File.

I need to apply password protection to a xls file.I had looked at SpreadSheet::WriteExcel but problem being i dont want to write the contents of file again as the formatting the file would be a pain. Is there way in which i write a entire file in one go , something like this ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dinjo_jo
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Re-apply the file permission

Hi, I having an issue with file permission. To fix it I need to read the file's existing permission and re-apply the same permission to the file. This has to be done for every single file under a mount point. I'm novice in scripting. Help me with this in shell scripting. # ls -l /dev/null... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: agent001
10 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Do UNIX Permission apply to sub directories?

Hi Guys, Can you tell me if unix permissions apply to sub dirs? Dir is /home/ops/batch/files/all /home is rwxrwxrwx ops is rwxrwxrwx batch is rwxr-wr-w files is rwxrwxrwx all is rwxrwxrwx Having problems writing to all (does the userid nee to be the batch owner... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Grueben
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Apply condition on fixed width file and filter records

Dear members.. I have a fixed width file. Requirement is as below:- 1. Scan each record from this fixed width file 2. Check for value under field no "6" equals to "ABC". If yes, then filter this record into the output file Please suggest a unix command to achieve this, my guess awk might... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sureshg_sampat
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding the directories with same permission and then apply some default UNIX commands

HI there. My teacher asked us to write a code for this question Write a Unix shell script named 'mode' that accepts two or more arguments, a file mode, a command and an optional list of parameters and performs the given command with the optional parameters on all files with that given mode. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: femchi
1 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

Finding the directories with same permission and then apply some default UNIX commands

Write a Unix shell script named 'mode' that accepts two or more arguments, a file mode, a command and an optional list of parameters and performs the given command with the optional parameters on all files with that given mode. For example, mode 644 ls -l should perform the command ls -l on all... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: femchi
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Apply md5 hash to a field in csv file

I have a .csv file and I want to md5 hash the second column for each row in the file. File is something like data1,foobar1,123,345 data2,foobar2,456,9393 data3,foobar3,1002,10109 Output would be like data1,6c81243028f8e455fa617dd5f0232ce1,123,345... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jjwags
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash to select text and apply it to a selected file in bash

In the bash below I am asking the user for a panel and reading that into bed. Then asking the user for a file and reading that into file1.Is the grep in bold the correct way to apply the selected panel to the file? I am getting a syntax error. Thank you :) ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
4 Replies
STAT(1) 							   User Commands							   STAT(1)

NAME
stat - display file or file system status SYNOPSIS
stat [OPTION]... FILE... DESCRIPTION
Display file or file system status. -L, --dereference follow links -f, --file-system display file system status instead of file status -c --format=FORMAT use the specified FORMAT instead of the default; output a newline after each use of FORMAT --printf=FORMAT like --format, but interpret backslash escapes, and do not output a mandatory trailing newline. If you want a newline, include in FORMAT -t, --terse print the information in terse form --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit The valid format sequences for files (without --file-system): %a Access rights in octal %A Access rights in human readable form %b Number of blocks allocated (see %B) %B The size in bytes of each block reported by %b %C SELinux security context string %d Device number in decimal %D Device number in hex %f Raw mode in hex %F File type %g Group ID of owner %G Group name of owner %h Number of hard links %i Inode number %m Mount point %n File name %N Quoted file name with dereference if symbolic link %o I/O block size %s Total size, in bytes %t Major device type in hex %T Minor device type in hex %u User ID of owner %U User name of owner %w Time of file birth, human-readable; - if unknown %W Time of file birth, seconds since Epoch; 0 if unknown %x Time of last access, human-readable %X Time of last access, seconds since Epoch %y Time of last modification, human-readable %Y Time of last modification, seconds since Epoch %z Time of last change, human-readable %Z Time of last change, seconds since Epoch Valid format sequences for file systems: %a Free blocks available to non-superuser %b Total data blocks in file system %c Total file nodes in file system %d Free file nodes in file system %f Free blocks in file system %i File System ID in hex %l Maximum length of filenames %n File name %s Block size (for faster transfers) %S Fundamental block size (for block counts) %t Type in hex %T Type in human readable form NOTE: your shell may have its own version of stat, which usually supersedes the version described here. Please refer to your shell's docu- mentation for details about the options it supports. AUTHOR
Written by Michael Meskes. REPORTING BUGS
Report stat bugs to bug-coreutils@gnu.org GNU coreutils home page: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> General help using GNU software: <http://www.gnu.org/gethelp/> Report stat translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2011 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
stat(2) The full documentation for stat is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and stat programs are properly installed at your site, the command info coreutils 'stat invocation' should give you access to the complete manual. GNU coreutils 8.12.197-032bb September 2011 STAT(1)