Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need to insert text(constant) at the beginning of file Post 302660909 by jclanc8 on Saturday 23rd of June 2012 06:07:46 PM
Old 06-23-2012
Need to insert text(constant) at the beginning of file

I am very new to scripting and I know this request is simple but I am having no luck with it.

I have a file a.dat with the following data in it.
aa
bb
cc
dd

I need to run a script that will take each line of a.dat and put dsjc/ubin/ in front of each record, so the output looks like

dsjc/ubin/aa
dsjc/ubin/bb
dsjc/ubin/cc
dsjc/ubin/dd

Thanks in advance for your help.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add text to beginning of file

Hi I need to add text to the beginning of a file in the same way that cat will put file contents at the end of a file. I want to do this with many files eg cat newtext >> /usr/home/*/*.bat Any ideas? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: donkey
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert two strings at the beginning and at the end of each line of a file

Hi, excuse me for my poor english. My problem is that: I have a File i want to add to each line of that file two strings: one at the beginning of the line, one at the ending. string1="abcd" string2="efgh" i want $string1 content $string2 for each line. Is that possible? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linux-fueled
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to insert some constant text at beginig of each line within a text file.

Dear Folks :), I am new to UNIX scripting and I do not know how can I insert some text in the first column of a UNIX text file at command promtp. I can do this in vi editor by using this command :g/^/s//BBB_ e,g I have a file named as Test.dat and it containins below text: michal... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Muhammad Afzal
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to insert new text and change existing text in a file using SED

Hi all, I need to insert new text and change existing text in a file. For that I used the below line in the command line and got the expected output. sed '$a\ hi... ' shell > shell1 But I face problem when using the same in script. It is throwing the error as, sed: command garbled:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: iamgeethuj
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Howto add a constant column to the text file

Hi, I am converting a .DBF file to pipe delimited file my requirement is like lets say my .DBF is residing in path /a/b/c/d/f/abc.DBF I need my .txt file as having a column with source _cd =f sample data in .DBF in folder "f" c1 c2 c3 1 2 3 in txt file it should be... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: angel12345
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert at the beginning of odd lines

Hello people, I am trying with sed to insert some text at the beginning of each odd line of a file but no luck. Can you please help. Awk is also suitable but I am not very familiar with it. Thank you in advance for any help. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: drbiloukos
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert output from a file to beginning of line with sed

Hi I've been trying to search but couldn't quite get the answer I was looking for. I have a a file that's like this Time, 9/1/12 0:00, 1033 0:10, 1044 ... 23:50, 1050 How do I make it so the file will be like this? 9/1/12, 0:00, 1033 9/1/12, 0:10, 1044 ... 9/1/12, 23:50, 1050 I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: diesel88
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert text at the beginning of every even number line

i am trying to insert text at the beginning of every even number line with awk i can do it with odd number lines with this command awk 'NR%2{$0="some text "$0}1' filehow can i edit this command thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bob123
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Insert a column in the beginning

Hi, I have been trying to see how i can insert a column in the beginning to my html table This is how it looks Name Age Sid 32 John 33 Mary 34 I want to insert a column Job before Name column, so it looks like Job Name Age IT Sid 32 Doctor... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sidnow
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to use sed to insert character in the beginning of file path?

I need to manipulate one Database file on Solaris 11 in which contains more than 5000 lines of data file path like this: '/data1/oradata/DBNAME/system01.dbf', '/data7/oradata/DBNAME/undotbs1_01.dbf', '/data1/oradata/DBNAME/sysaux01.dbf', '/data28/oradata/DBNAME/userdata01.dbf', ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: duke0001
6 Replies
DDB(8)							    BSD System Manager's Manual 						    DDB(8)

NAME
ddb -- configure DDB kernel debugger properties SYNOPSIS
ddb capture [-M -core] [-N -system] print ddb capture [-M -core] [-N -system] status ddb script scriptname ddb script scriptname=script ddb scripts ddb unscript scriptname ddb pathname DESCRIPTION
The ddb utility configures certain aspects of the ddb(4) kernel debugger from user space that are not configured at compile-time or easily via sysctl(8) MIB entries. To ease configuration, commands can be put in a file which is processed using ddb as shown in the last synopsis line. An absolute pathname must be used. The file will be read line by line and applied as arguments to the ddb utility. Whitespace at the beginning of lines will be ignored as will lines where the first non-whitespace character is '#'. OUTPUT CAPTURE
The ddb utility can be used to extract the contents of the ddb(4) output capture buffer of the current live kernel, or from the crash dump of a kernel on disk. The following debugger commands are available from the command line: capture [-M core] [-N system] print Print the current contents of the ddb(4) output capture buffer. capture [-M core] [-N system] status Print the current status of the ddb(4) output capture buffer. SCRIPTING
The ddb utility can be used to configure aspects of ddb(4) scripting from user space; scripting support is described in more detail in ddb(4). Each of the debugger commands is available from the command line: script scriptname Print the script named scriptname. script scriptname=script Define a script named scriptname. As many scripts contain characters interpreted in special ways by the shell, it is advisable to enclose script in quotes. scripts List currently defined scripts. unscript scriptname Delete the script named scriptname. EXIT STATUS
The ddb utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
The following example defines a script that will execute when the kernel debugger is entered as a result of a break signal: ddb script kdb.enter.break="show pcpu; bt" The following example will delete the script: ddb unscript kdb.enter.break For further examples, see the ddb(4) and textdump(4) manual pages. SEE ALSO
ddb(4), textdump(4), sysctl(8) HISTORY
The ddb utility first appeared in FreeBSD 7.1. AUTHORS
Robert N M Watson BUGS
Ideally, ddb would not exist, as all pertinent aspects of ddb(4) could be configured directly via sysctl(8). BSD
December 24, 2008 BSD