Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Role password permission denied Post 302660613 by cjashu on Friday 22nd of June 2012 05:07:12 PM
Old 06-22-2012
Yes I am running "passwd" as root

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

permission denied??

i'm trying to set up my internet connection and i was told i need to edit the file /etc/ppp/pap-secrets but i get a permission denied message...why?? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: justchillin
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Permission Denied

I just started computer science at UW Milwaukee. When I access the university Solaris system from PuTTY, I get permission denied when I try to access the file I wrote. Now I really have no idea what I'm doing, I just don't understand why I get permission denied in my won directory. Thank You ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: howeezy
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

ERROR : Permission denied (publickey,password,keyboard-interactive).

Hello, when I try to connect to a remote machine through SSH username@host I am getting the error message Permission denied (publickey,password,keyboard-interactive). Can any one tell me what is the problem. the key is added in the remote machines authorized_keys file. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: deepusunil
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Why do I keep getting .:Permission denied?

I'll start off by saying that I know very little about Unix - however, I do know that I have a .profile file in my home directory, and that I should be able to invoke it by typing . profile. However, when I do this for ANY .filename, I get ".: Permission denied". I'm pretty sure that there is... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbersani
12 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Permission denied

I would like to copy data from local mechine to cluster. Basically, I typed scp -r DVD/ acount@cluster:/ it shows Permission denied. Could anyone please give me a clue to write permission on cluster, please? The poperty of where on cluster I'd like to put is drwxr-xr-x Any idea would... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: su_in99
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

changing password with sudo user " permission denied"

HI All, I am using solaris i created a user adam and updated his permissions in vi sudoers file as follows adam ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWORD: ALL ........... when i create user by logging as sudo user . $ sudo useradd -d /home/kalyan -m -s /bin/sh kalyan sudo: not found ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kalyankalyan
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Permission denied when changing root password after reset

I have a Solaris 10 machine that I didn't know the root password to so I went into single user mode and removed the password from the shadow file and rebooted and I am able to login with no password now. But my problem is that when I try to change the root password from no password to something... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: darkone_d1_2000
0 Replies

8. Linux

Permission denied

I am using korn shell When I type in Telnet on cmd line, I get message "cannot execute" How can I get permission to execute command ? In which dir is telnet located ? I looked in /usr/bin dir. but its not there Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: paramshamnani
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Permission denied

when i run echo "User” > /dev/tty5 why do i get permission denied? :confused: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chinababy
2 Replies

10. OS X (Apple)

"Permission denied" when trying to SSH my iPhone though password is correct

Hi, I hope this is the correct section in the forum to post as I'm trying to SSH from my MacBook. I was looking to see whether ssh on my jailbroken iPhone 6s (10.3.1) still works fine and was following this old reddit guide. I installed OpenSSH&OpenSSL from Cydia and changed the password using... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: hss1
7 Replies
roles(1)							   User Commands							  roles(1)

NAME
roles - print roles granted to a user SYNOPSIS
roles [ user ...] DESCRIPTION
The command roles prints on standard output the roles that you or the optionally-specified user have been granted. Roles are special accounts that correspond to a functional responsibility rather than to an actual person (referred to as a normal user). Each user may have zero or more roles. Roles have most of the attributes of normal users and are identified like normal users in passwd(4) and shadow(4). Each role must have an entry in the user_attr(4) file that identifies it as a role. Roles can have their own authorizations and profiles. See auths(1) and profiles(1). Roles are not allowed to log into a system as a primary user. Instead, a user must log in as him-- or herself and assume the role. The actions of a role are attributable to the normal user. When auditing is enabled, the audited events of the role contain the audit ID of the original user who assumed the role. A role may not assume itself or any other role. Roles are not hierarchical. However, rights profiles (see prof_attr(4)) are hierarchical and can be used to achieve the same effect as hierarchical roles. Roles must have valid passwords and one of the shells that interprets profiles: either pfcsh, pfksh, or pfsh. See pfexec(1). Role assumption may be performed using su(1M), rlogin(1), or some other service that supports the PAM_RUSER variable. Successful assumption requires knowledge of the role's password and membership in the role. Role assignments are specified in user_attr(4). EXAMPLES
Example 1: Sample output The output of the roles command has the following form: example% roles tester01 tester02 tester01 : admin tester02 : secadmin, root example% EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. 1 An error occurred. FILES
/etc/user_attr /etc/security/auth_attr /etc/security/prof_attr ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
auths(1), pfexec(1), profiles(1), rlogin(1), su(1M), getauusernam(3BSM), auth_attr(4), passwd(4), prof_attr(4), shadow(4), user_attr(4), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 14 Feb 2001 roles(1)