Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk for splitting file in constant chunks Post 302660015 by mukesh.lalwani on Friday 22nd of June 2012 02:11:13 AM
Old 06-22-2012
Its ascii text file.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help with splitting lines in a file using awk

I have a file which is one big long line of text about 10Kb long. Can someone provide a way using awk to introduce carriage returns every 40 chars in this file. Any other solutions would also be welcome. Thank you in advance. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: martinbarretto
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting a complex file using awk

I have a file that contains the following format delete from table1; delete from table2; insert into table1 (col1, col2) values (value1, value2)@ insert into table1 (col1, col2) values(value3, value4)@ insert into table2(col1, col2,col3) values(value1, value2, value3)@ etc etc This is... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: hukcjv
9 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Awk: Print out overlapping chunks of file - rows 0-20,10-30,20-40 etc.

First time poster, but the forum has saved my bacon more times than... Lots. Anyway, I have a text file, and wanted to use Awk (or any other sensible program) to print out overlapping sections, or arbitrary length. To describe by example, for file 1 2 3 4 5 etc... I want the out put... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: matfald
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting file using awk

I have file with below content FG1620000|20000 FG1623000|23000 FG1625000|25000 FG1643894|43894 FG1643895|43895 FG1643896|43896 FG1643897|43897 FG1643898|43898 My aim is to split the above file into two files based on the value in the second field. If the value in second field is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anijan
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting the file using awk

Hi, I have a requirement in which I am going to receive one file and should be splitted to 9 different files based on one distinguisher called TYPE. I heard that this can be done using awk or sed. Can any one advise regardint the logic and simpler way other than using awk or sed is also... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: sagar.cumar
15 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting a file into chunks of 1TB

Hi I have a file with different filesystems with there sizes. I need to split them in chucks of 1TB. The file looks like vf_MTLHQNASF07_Wkgp2 187428400 10601AW1 vf_MTLHQNASF07_Wkgp2 479504596 10604AW1 vf_MTLHQNASF07_Wkgp2 19940 10605AID vf_MTLHQNASF07_Wkgp2 1242622044... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bombcan
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting duplicated chunks in a file using awk/sed

Hi all, I'd always appreciate all helps from this site. I would like to delete duplicated chunks of strings on the same row(?). One chunk is comprised of four lines such as: path name starting point ending point voltage number I would like to delete duplicated chunks on the same... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jypark22
5 Replies
SHOWKEY(1)						      General Commands Manual							SHOWKEY(1)

NAME
showkey - examine the codes sent by the keyboard SYNOPSIS
showkey [-h|--help] [-a|--ascii] [-s|--scancodes] [-k|--keycodes] DESCRIPTION
showkey prints to standard output either the scan codes or the keycode or the `ascii' code of each key pressed. In the first two modes the program runs until 10 seconds have elapsed since the last key press or release event, or until it receives a suitable signal, like SIGTERM, from another process. In `ascii' mode the program terminates when the user types ^D. When in scancode dump mode, showkey prints in hexadecimal format each byte received from the keyboard to the standard output. A new line is printed when an interval of about 0.1 seconds occurs between the bytes received, or when the internal receive buffer fills up. This can be used to determine roughly, what byte sequences the keyboard sends at once on a given key press. The scan code dumping mode is primarily intended for debugging the keyboard driver or other low level interfaces. As such it shouldn't be of much interest to the regular end-user. However, some modern keyboards have keys or buttons that produce scancodes to which the kernel does not associate a keycode, and, after finding out what these are, the user can assign keycodes with setkeycodes(8). When in the default keycode dump mode, showkey prints to the standard output the keycode number or each key pressed or released. The kind of the event, press or release, is also reported. Keycodes are numbers assigned by the kernel to each individual physical key. Every key has always only one associated keycode number, whether the keyboard sends single or multiple scan codes when pressing it. Using showkey in this mode, you can find out what numbers to use in your personalized keymap files. When in `ascii' dump mode, showkey prints to the standard output the decimal, octal, and hexadecimal value(s) of the key pressed, according to he present keymap. OPTIONS
-h --help showkey prints to the standard error output its version number, a compile option and a short usage message, then exits. -s --scancodes Starts showkey in scan code dump mode. -k --keycodes Starts showkey in keycode dump mode. This is the default, when no command line options are present. -a --ascii Starts showkey in `ascii' dump mode. SEE ALSO
loadkeys(1), dumpkeys(1), keymaps(5), setkeycodes(8) 1 Feb 1998 SHOWKEY(1)