Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Moving files from one directory to another based on 2 date variables Post 302659405 by Corona688 on Thursday 21st of June 2012 12:00:56 AM
Old 06-21-2012
You did it again:
Code:
for EMPLOYEE in `/iis_data/source/*.txt`

That is in backticks and should not be.

In the code I actually posted, it was in no brackets, quotes, or ticks whatsoever. It is not supposed to be in any whatsoever. It will not work if you put it in any whatsoever.

Try the code I gave you without editing things that look funny. It is working code.
This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Moving files based on creation date

Howdy, I'm trying to figure out how to move multiple files based on their creation date. If anyone can enlighten me it would be most appreciated!! Thanks! :D (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dgoyea
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Moving file to directory based on condition.

Can any one help me to correct following script. I have 2 directories DropZone and ProcessZone. File pattern is *VEHDESCSUM*. Finding the 'no of files' in DropZone directory using ls *VEHDESCSUM* |wc -l If DropZone has more than one file or 0 files then exit 1 If DropZone has one file then... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramanagh
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting Files by date and moving files in date order

I need to build a k shell script that will sort files in a directory where files appear like this "XXXX_2008021213.DAT. I need to sort by date in the filename and then move files by individual date to a working folder. concatenate the files in the working folder then start a process once... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rebel64
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating date directory and moving files into that directory

I have list of files named file_username_051208_025233.log. Here 051208 is the date and 025233 is the time.I have to run thousands of files daily.I want to put all the files depending on the date of running into a date directory.Suppose if we run files today they should put into 05:Dec:08... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravi030
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need script to select multiple files from archive directory based on the date range

hi all, here is the description to my problem. input parameters: $date1 & $date2 based on the range i need to select the archived files from the archived directory and moved them in to working directory. can u please help me in writing the code to select the multiple files based on the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbc17484
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Moving Directories Based on Modified date

Hi, How can I move directories (and all sub directories/files) from one directory to another based on the modified date of the directory? Currently the existing structure looks like this: /public_html/media/videos/tmb/34947/image1.jpg /public_html/media/videos/tmb/34947/image2.jpg ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lbargers
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move files from one directory to another based on creation/modification date

Hi All, Really stuck up with a requirement where I need to move a file (Lets say date_Employee.txt--the date will have different date values like 20120612/20120613 etc) from one directory to another based on creation/modification dates. While visiting couple of posts, i could see we can... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsfreddie
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script moving files based on date

Hi, I need a script that moves files based on date to a folder. The folder should be created based on file date. Example is : Date file name ----- -------- Oct 08 07:39 10112012_073952.xls Oct 09 07:39 10112012_073952.xls Oct 10 07:39 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rockingvj
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unable to find files, those can be present anywhere in the directory tree,based on its creation date

Hi I am unable to find files, those are present anywhere in the same directory tree, based on the creation date. I need to find the files with their path, as I need to create them in another location and move them. I need some help with a script that may do the job. Please help (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam192837465
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Searching for a files based on current date directory

Hi All, I've been trying to do some recursive searching but not been very successful. Can someone please help. Scenario: I have directory structure /dir1/dir2/dir3/ 2019/ 11/ 17 18 19 20 so what I want to do is run a script and as its 2019/11/18/ today it would go and only search... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: israr75
3 Replies
FORTUNE(6)							 BSD Games Manual							FORTUNE(6)

NAME
fortune -- print a random, hopefully interesting, adage SYNOPSIS
fortune [-aefilosw] [-m pattern] [[N%] file/dir/all] DESCRIPTION
When fortune is run with no arguments it prints out a random epigram. Epigrams are divided into several categories, where each category is subdivided into those which are potentially offensive and those which are not. The options are as follows: -a Choose from all lists of maxims, both offensive and not. (See the -o option for more information on offensive fortunes.) -e Consider all fortune files to be of equal size (see discussion below on multiple files). -f Print out the list of files which would be searched, but don't print a fortune. -i Ignore case for -m patterns. -l Long dictums only. -m pattern Print out all fortunes which match the regular expression pattern. See regex(3) for a description of patterns. -o Choose only from potentially offensive aphorisms. Please, please, please request a potentially offensive fortune if and only if you believe, deep down in your heart, that you are willing to be offended. (And that if you are, you'll just quit using -o rather than give us grief about it, okay?) ... let us keep in mind the basic governing philosophy of The Brotherhood, as handsomely summarized in these words: we believe in healthy, hearty laughter -- at the expense of the whole human race, if needs be. Needs be. --H. Allen Smith, "Rude Jokes" -s Short apothegms only. -w Wait before termination for an amount of time calculated from the number of characters in the message. This is useful if it is exe- cuted as part of the logout procedure to guarantee that the message can be read before the screen is cleared. The user may specify alternative sayings. You can specify a specific file, a directory which contains one or more files, or the special word all, which says to use all the standard databases. Any of these may be preceded by a percentage, which is a number N between 0 and 100 inclusive, followed by a '%' character. If it is, there will be an N percent probability that an adage will be picked from that file or directory. If the percentages do not sum to 100, and there are specifications without percentages, the remaining percent will apply to those files and/or directories, in which case the probability of selecting from one of them will be based on their relative sizes. As an example, given two databases funny and not-funny, with funny twice as big, saying $ fortune funny not-funny will get you fortunes out of funny two-thirds of the time. The command $ fortune 90% funny 10% not-funny will pick out 90% of its fortunes from funny (the ``10%'' is unnecessary, since 10% is all that's left). The -e option says to consider all files equal; thus $ fortune -e is equivalent to $ fortune 50% funny 50% not-funny Datafiles for fortune are created by the strfile(8) utility, which is not installed by default, The source code for this utility can be found in /usr/src/games/fortune/strfile, if it exists. FILES
/usr/share/games/fortune/* Fortune files. SEE ALSO
regex(3), random(6), rot13(6) BSD
September 9, 2004 BSD