Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Issue with UTF-8 BOM character in text file Post 302657843 by jim mcnamara on Monday 18th of June 2012 11:39:52 AM
Old 06-18-2012
Can you not transfer it using ftp in ASCII mode instead of using a windows app?

Unix tools for windows do exist - they are free. You can install cygwin on your PC or simply download unixtools for windows

UnxUtils | Free software downloads at SourceForge.net

Cygwin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding files with UTF-8 BOM

Hi, there: I am relatively new to Unix. So, I am not even sure if I am asking is an easy or difficult task. I want to peform GREP like command which will generate a list of files with a file format of UTF-8. I would especially like to know whether the files use UTF-8 or UTF-8N (in other... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kotoponus
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

need to read 3° character from a text file

Hi, I need a script to read the n° character from a text file. eg: if the text file contains the line "123456" ,I nedd a command to display the number 4, as an example. I tried with awk and printf but it seems only works with words separated with spaces, but in this case I have only one word... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: piltrafa
15 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Convert UTF-8 encoded hex value to a character

Hi, I have a non-ascii character (Ŵ), which can be represented in UTF-8 encoding as equivalent hex value (\xC5B4). Is there a function in unix to convert this hex value back to display the charcter ? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumirmehta
10 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting all instances of a certain character from a text file

In my command prompt I did: sed 's/\://' mytextfile > newtextfile But it only deleted the first instance of : in each line when some lines have multiple : appearing in each one. How can I delete all the : from the entire file? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: guitarscn
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

read the text file and print the content character by character..

hello all i request you to give the solution for the following problem.. I want read the text file.and print the contents character by character..like if the text file contains google means..i want to print g go goo goog googl google like this Using unix Shell scripting... without using... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: samupnl
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

post-Adding character for a text file

#################################################################### #NAME SL.NO TITLE SAL #################################################################### |RAGAV S S | 12358 | SALES EXECUTIVE| | 25000 |RAJU R B | 64253 | SALES EXECUTIVE| ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: manas_ranjan
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to modify character to UTF-8 in shell script?

I have a shell script running to load some data from a text file to database. Text file contains some non-ASCII characters like ü. How can i convert these characters to UTF-8 codes before loading to DB. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vel4ever
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

new line after n'th character in text file

Gurus, I have a text file having only one row having following data. 640.0800 -999.25 -999.25 -999.25 -999.25 -999.25 -999.25 -999.25 -999.25 640.2324 -999.25 -999.25 -999.25 -999.25 -999.25 -999.25 -999.25 -999.25 640.3848 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amit.saini333
5 Replies

9. Linux

Help to Convert file from UNIX UTF-8 to Windows UTF-16

Hi, I have tried to convert a UTF-8 file to windows UTF-16 format file as below from unix machine unix2dos < testing.txt | iconv -f UTF-8 -t UTF-16 > out.txt and i am getting some chinese characters as below which l opened the converted file on windows machine. LANG=en_US.UTF-8... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: phanidhar6039
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

UTF-8,16,32 character lengths using awk

Hi All, I am trying to obtain count of characters using awk, but "length" function returns a value of 1 for 2-byte or 3-byte characters as well unlike wc -c command. I have tried to use the below commands within awk function, but it does not seem to work { cmd="wc -c "stringtocheck ( cmd )... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tostay2003
6 Replies
URI::URL(3)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					       URI::URL(3)

NAME
URI::URL - Uniform Resource Locators SYNOPSIS
$u1 = URI::URL->new($str, $base); $u2 = $u1->abs; DESCRIPTION
This module is provided for backwards compatibility with modules that depend on the interface provided by the "URI::URL" class that used to be distributed with the libwww-perl library. The following differences compared to the "URI" class interface exist: o The URI::URL module exports the url() function as an alternate constructor interface. o The constructor takes an optional $base argument. The "URI::URL" class is a subclasses of "URI::WithBase". o The URI::URL->newlocal class method is the same as URI::file->new_abs o URI::URL::strict(1) o $url->print_on method o $url->crack method o $url->full_path; same as ($uri->abs_path || "/") o $url->netloc; same as $uri->authority o $url->epath, $url->equery; same as $uri->path, $uri->query o $url->path and $url->query pass unescaped strings. o $url->path_components; same as $uri->path_segments (if you don't consider path segment parameters). o $url->params and $url->eparams methods. o $url->base method. See URI::WithBase. o $url->abs and $url->rel have an optional $base argument. See URI::WithBase. o $url->frag; same as $uri->fragment o $url->keywords; same as $uri->query_keywords; o $url->localpath with friends map to $uri->file o $url->address and $url->encoded822addr; same as $uri->to for mailto URI. o $url->groupart method for news URI. o $url->article; same as $uri->message SEE ALSO
URI, URI::WithBase COPYRIGHT
Copyright 1998-2000 Gisle Aas. perl v5.8.0 2002-05-09 URI::URL(3)