Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Filesystem not using all available space in Logical Volume Post 302657803 by vbe on Monday 18th of June 2012 11:23:38 AM
Old 06-18-2012
Since you have not produced the output of the exact commands you passed, lets do things differently:
Q - What Do I do once I created a FS in order to use it
A - Create a FS...
Q - should it occupy all the LV?
A - Not necessarily...
Q - I create a FS that occupy the half of the LV fo I am a bit paranoid...Now I want to incease a bit its size, How can it be done?
A - Either you have Online-JFS, it can be done on the fly using fsadm, or look at the man pages of extendfs

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

How to resize a logical volume to free up some space using sam?

Hey all, is it possible to free up space off some partitions? during an install of hp-ux i set some allocated diskspace to lets say, /home to 1024 mb, but now i want it to be 512mb.. I'm looking at sam right now at the "Disks and File Systems" menu , can i modify it at all in like, List-> file... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: emplate
4 Replies

2. AIX

logical volume and filesystem

explain about logical volume and filesystem thanks for your replay (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chomca
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

LVM - Extending Logical Volume within Volume Group

Hello, I have logical volume group of 50GB, in which I have 2 logical volumes, LogVol01 and LogVol02, both are of 10GB. If I extend LogVol01 further by 10GB, then it keeps the extended copy after logical volume 2. I want to know where it keeps this information Regards Himanshu (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ghimanshu
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Move veritas filesystem space between Logical volumes

I have a veritas file system (fsA) that is nearing capacity. We have secondary file system (fsB). that is unused and would like to move some of it's disk space but I'm unsure as to how to do this with. /dev/vx/dsk/vg05/lvol05 25288704 21887258 3188911 88% ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Steelysteel
2 Replies

5. AIX

Basic Filesystem / Physical Volume / Logical Volume Check

Hi! Can anyone help me on how I can do a basic check on the Unix filesystems / physical volumes and logical volumes? What items should I check, like where do I look at in smit? Or are there commands that I should execute? I need to do this as I was informed by IBM that there seems to be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chipahoys
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Confusion Regarding Physical Volume,Volume Group,Logical Volume,Physical partition

Hi, I am new to unix. I am working on Red Hat Linux and side by side on AIX also. After reading the concepts of Storage, I am now really confused regarding the terminologies 1)Physical Volume 2)Volume Group 3)Logical Volume 4)Physical Partition Please help me to understand these concepts. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kashifsd17
6 Replies

7. AIX

Position of the logical volume on the physical volume

Hello everyone, I just read that while creating a logical volume(LV) we can choose the region of the physical volume (PV) in which the LV should be created. When I say region I mean: outer edge - outer middle - center - inner middle and inner edge. Can anyone help me understand the utility... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: adilyos
11 Replies

8. AIX

Increase filesystem and or logical volume

Hi all, Do i need to increase the logical volume each time i increase the filesystem? or is enough to increase the filesystem and the logical volume get increase automatically? extendlv hd4 1 chfs -a size=2G /tmp or just chfs -a size=2G /tmp Code tags! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: prpkrk
4 Replies

9. Red Hat

No space in volume group. How to create a file system using existing logical volume

Hello Guys, I want to create a file system dedicated for an application installation. But there is no space in volume group to create a new logical volume. There is enough space in other logical volume which is being mounted on /var. I know we can use that logical volume and create a virtual... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vamshigvk475
2 Replies

10. Red Hat

Shrink ext4 filesystem and reduce the size of a Logical Volume in Linux

Hello guys, I would like to ask you kindly if you don't know some quick and safe method how to shrink ext4 filesystem and reduce the size of a Logical Volume in Linux, please? Thank you very much. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: los_bandidos
2 Replies
jfs_mkfs(8)						     JFS file system creation						       jfs_mkfs(8)

NAME
jfs_mkfs - create a JFS formatted partition SYNOPSIS
jfs_mkfs [options] device [ blocks ] DESCRIPTION
jfs_mkfs is used to create (format) a JFS partition. jfs_mkfs must be run as root. device is the special file name corresponding to the actual device (e.g. /dev/hdb1) on which a JFS file system and/or JFS journal will be created. blocks is the number of blocks to be used for the file system. If omitted, jfs_mkfs automatically figures the file system size. The default block size is 4096. WARNING
jfs_mkfs will destroy all data on the specified device! OPTIONS
-c Check the device for bad blocks before building the file system. -j journal_device Create the external JFS journal on journal_device , create the JFS file system on device , and attach the external journal to the file system. -J journal-options Create the JFS journal on its own device or attach an external JFS journal to the JFS file system using options specified on the command-line. The following journal options are supported: journal_dev Create an external JFS journal on the given device. device=external-journal Attach an existing external JFS journal located on external-journal to the JFS file system that will be created on device. The external journal must already have been created using the command jfs_mkfs -J journal_dev external-journal Attach the external journal to the file system being created by using the command jfs_mkfs -J device=external-journal device Instead of specifying a device name directly, external-journal can also be specified by either LABEL=label or UUID=UUID to locate the external journal by either the volume label or UUID stored in the JFS external log superblock at the start of the journal. Use jfs_tune(8) to display a journal device's volume label and UUID. (See the -l, -L, and -U options of jfs_tune(8).) Only one of the journal_dev or device= options can be given per jfs_mkfs issuance. -L volume_label Set the volume label for the newly formatted device. If -L volume_label is used along with -J journal_device, the volume label of the specified external journal device will be set to volume_label. Otherwise, the volume label of the JFS file system will be set to volume_label. -O Provide case-insensitive support for compatibility with OS/2. -q Quiet execution - do not ask for confirmation before creating the file system. -s log_size Set the log size (in megabytes) of the inline log. If the -s option is not used, the default log size is 0.4% of the aggregate size. -V Print version information and exit (regardless of any other chosen options). EXAMPLES
Format 3rd partition on 2nd hard disk with the volume label "JFS_hdb3": jfs_mkfs -L JFS_hdb3 /dev/hdb3 Format 5th partition on 1st hard disk, verifying each block created: jfs_mkfs -c /dev/hda5 Format 3rd partition on 2nd hard disk as external journal, format 4th partition on 1st hard disk as JFS file system, and attach the exter- nal journal to the file system: jfs_mkfs -j /dev/hdb3 /dev/hda4 REPORTING BUGS
If you find a bug in JFS or jfs_mkfs, please report it via the bug tracking system ("Report Bugs" section) of the JFS project web site: http://jfs.sourceforge.net/ Please send as much pertinent information as possible including any error messages resulting from running jfs_mkfs. SEE ALSO
mkfs(8), jfs_fsck(8), jfs_fscklog(8), jfs_tune(8), jfs_logdump(8), jfs_debugfs(8) AUTHORS
Barry Arndt (barndt@us.ibm.com) William Braswell, Jr. jfs_mkfs is maintained by IBM. See the JFS project web site for more details: http://jfs.sourceforge.net/ March 9, 2005 jfs_mkfs(8)