Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Use case insensitive variable in ksh shell scripting using sed or awk Post 302657571 by Scrutinizer on Monday 18th of June 2012 03:21:14 AM
Old 06-18-2012
The -I flag is only in GNU sed and only with the substitute command, not with a range match.. Try:
Code:
awk 'tolower($0)~tolower(s),/constant/' s="$variable" file

note: if $variable contains regex expressions then this may not work as expected..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Case-insensitive serach with awk

Is there any way to do case insensitive search with awk for the below statement: month1=`awk '/month/' ${trgfile} | cut -d"=" -f2` the "month" could come as Month, mOnth,MONTH etc. in a file. Now I am looking for "month".... Thanks, AC (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: acheepi
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk case-insensitive

can I tell awk to be case insensitive for one operation without setting the ignorecase value ? thanks, Steffen (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: forever_49ers
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to make sed case insensitive

I need to remove a pattern say, ABCD whether it is in uppercase or lowercase from a string. How to do it using SED? for example ABCDEF should output to EF abcdEF should also output to EF (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vickylife
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

case-insensitive search with AWK

Hi All, How we can perform case-insensitive search with AWK.:rolleyes: regards, Sam (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam25
11 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to handle case insensitive in shell scripting

Hi All, I am new to this forum also new to shell scripting. I have a requirement to read a text from a file which can be in any case like LOGFILE or LogFile or logfile or lOgfILE etc.. Can you guys help me out. Thanks, Bacsi01 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bacsi01
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using sed for case insensitive search

Hi, I have a file named "test_file" that has the below content. It has words in upper/lower cases PRODOPS prodOPS ProdOps PRODops escalate Shell My requirement is to replace all the "prodops" (what ever case it may be) with "productionoperations". I tried using the "i" option with... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sbhuvana20
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Making case insensitive in awk

here is a statement awk '/CREATE PROCEDURE/,/elimiter/' "$file1" > onlyproc1.sql which mean cut from create procedure to Delimiter or delimiter and paste it in onlyproc1.sql... my query is how to make this case insensitive.. that is i want the above code to work whther it is Delimiter or... (26 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
26 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

making sed command case insensitive

i have something like this in a file cat onlytables.sql create table NextID ( id int auto_increment, zoneID int, entityName varchar(64), nextID int, lastModified TIMESTAMP DEFAULT CURRENT_TIMESTAMP ON UPDATE CURRENT_TIMESTAMP, primary... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Making SED case insensitive

Dears, In the below string, please let me know how to make the sed search case-incensitive. I have more such lines in my script instead of let me know any other easier option. sed -n '/dn: MSISDN=/,/^\s*$/p' full.ldif > temp ; sed -n... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kamesh G
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Using awk to search case insensitive

Hello , Using the below scrip to search a string in a file , by case-insensitively Please assist on using the toupper() as getting error !. #!/usr/bin/ksh set -x curr_dir=`pwd` file_ctr=0 printf "\n Reviewing the output file from the directory: %s \n\n" $curr_dir ls -latr ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siva SQL
4 Replies
regex(1F)							   FMLI Commands							 regex(1F)

NAME
regex - match patterns against a string SYNOPSIS
regex [-e] [ -v "string"] [ pattern template] ... pattern [template] DESCRIPTION
The regex command takes a string from the standard input, and a list of pattern / template pairs, and runs regex() to compare the string against each pattern until there is a match. When a match occurs, regex writes the corresponding template to the standard output and returns TRUE. The last (or only) pattern does not need a template. If that is the pattern that matches the string, the function simply returns TRUE. If no match is found, regex returns FALSE. The argument pattern is a regular expression of the form described in regex(). In most cases, pattern should be enclosed in single quotes to turn off special meanings of characters. Note that only the final pattern in the list may lack a template. The argument template may contain the strings $m0 through $m9, which will be expanded to the part of pattern enclosed in ( ... )$0 through ( ... )$9 constructs (see examples below). Note that if you use this feature, you must be sure to enclose template in single quotes so that FMLI does not expand $m0 through $m9 at parse time. This feature gives regex much of the power of cut(1), paste(1), and grep(1), and some of the capabilities of sed(1). If there is no template, the default is $m0$m1$m2$m3$m4$m5$m6$m7$m8$m9. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -e Evaluates the corresponding template and writes the result to the standard output. -v "string" Uses string instead of the standard input to match against patterns. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Cutting letters out of a string To cut the 4th through 8th letters out of a string (this example will output strin and return TRUE): `regex -v "my string is nice" '^.{3}(.{5})$0' '$m0'` Example 2: Validating input in a form In a form, to validate input to field 5 as an integer: valid=`regex -v "$F5" '^[0-9]+$'` Example 3: Translating an environment variable in a form In a form, to translate an environment variable which contains one of the numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 to the letters a, b, c, d, e: value=`regex -v "$VAR1" 1 a 2 b 3 c 4 d 5 e '.*' 'Error'` Note the use of the pattern '.*' to mean "anything else". Example 4: Using backquoted expressions In the example below, all three lines constitute a single backquoted expression. This expression, by itself, could be put in a menu defini- tion file. Since backquoted expressions are expanded as they are parsed, and output from a backquoted expression (the cat command, in this example) becomes part of the definition file being parsed, this expression would read /etc/passwd and make a dynamic menu of all the login ids on the system. `cat /etc/passwd | regex '^([^:]*)$0.*$' ' name=$m0 action=`message "$m0 is a user"`'` DIAGNOSTICS
If none of the patterns match, regex returns FALSE, otherwise TRUE. NOTES
Patterns and templates must often be enclosed in single quotes to turn off the special meanings of characters. Especially if you use the $m0 through $m9 variables in the template, since FMLI will expand the variables (usually to "") before regex even sees them. Single characters in character classes (inside []) must be listed before character ranges, otherwise they will not be recognized. For exam- ple, [a-zA-Z_/] will not find underscores (_) or slashes (/), but [_/a-zA-Z] will. The regular expressions accepted by regcmp differ slightly from other utilities (that is, sed, grep, awk, ed, and so forth). regex with the -e option forces subsequent commands to be ignored. In other words, if a backquoted statement appears as follows: `regex -e ...; command1; command2` command1 and command2 would never be executed. However, dividing the expression into two: `regex -e ...``command1; command2` would yield the desired result. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
awk(1), cut(1), grep(1), paste(1), sed(1), regcmp(3C), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 12 Jul 1999 regex(1F)