Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Backup script to split and tar files Post 302657491 by ganitolngyundre on Sunday 17th of June 2012 11:52:08 PM
Old 06-18-2012
Thank you Chubler_XL for the input.

But I already created a directory where in all of the users copy their files for backup. My task now is to compress it and split it less than 5GB automatically. In preparation for backup to amazon s3.

I think it is possible in bash scripting, but since I'm a newbie here. I find it difficult to do the task. Can anyone give me sample of their bash script related on this topic? or any sites that can help me to solved this problem?

Thank you very much.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to process the files using .tar.gz files in script

Hi, I have some file in /users/xyz directoty with .tar.gz extension. i need to find these files and if found in need to run other commands. I now the command for finding files,but how to put if condition ?please help me Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bmkreddy
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Diff. Backup Script Using TAR. Should be simple.

I'm specifically trying to find help or insight on using the --incremental ('-G') option for creating a tar. Please resist the urge to tell me to use --listed-incremental ('-g') option. That's fairly well documented in the GNU tar manual. GNU tar 1.19 This is what the manual does say in section... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: protienplant
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with tar in a backup script

I had an idea of very-very easy bacup script that packs ALL of the files in current dir (including the subfulders and with spaces in name), packs them with tar+gz and moves to a directory. I'm using Cywin under WinXP. But I have a problem with tar. When I do in a single line "tar -rf... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TennageWerewolf
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Do incremental backup without tar files up

I'm trying to do a incremental backup for a big NFS. Since space is not an issue, I don't want to compress them or end up with a big tarball for full backup( and a series of small tarballs for incremental backup). Basically I want the TAR backup/restore functionality but not TAR files up.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: overmindxp
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

lvm/tar/rsync backup script feedback/criticism

I have written a shell script to perform backups using tar, rsync and optionally utilise lvm snapshots. The script is not finished but is in a working state and comments/descriptions are poor. I would greatly appreciate any criticism and suggestions of the script to help improve my own learning... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jelloir
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not correct processing of “\ “ in names of dirs inside shell script (tar command - system backup scr

Hello, Recently, I've started with shell scripting, and decided to write a script for my system backup using tar. When I was dealing with tar execution inside shell script I found this, inside shell we have the following code: tar $TAR_PARAMS $ARCHIVE_FILE $EXCLUDE $BACKUP_STARTwith... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ilnar
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar command to explore multiple layers of tar and tar.gz files

Hi all, I have a tar file and inside that tar file is a folder with additional tar.gz files. What I want to do is look inside the first tar file and then find the second tar file I'm looking for, look inside that tar.gz file to find a certain directory. I'm encountering issues by trying to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bashnewbee
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Backup files in tar format

Hi, I need backup all the files(including sub directories files ) which we modified today and create the tar file with the filename_<current_date>.tar Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gavemani
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remote FTP Backup -Tar archive+ encrypt+ split to a remote ftp

I have a huge directoy(200+ gb) for backup. I want upload the tar file(split files) simultaneous to a remote ftp. (pipeline, stdout, stdin etc.) I don't want write a data to local hdd. I have a ssd hdd. thanks. this code doesn't work.( yes i know the problem is split command!) tar cvzf -... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: tara123
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append files (backup .tar)

Hi all, I have to write a script which will keep for a particular user (username is first argument) backups of the account area to another. The script should accept as the second argument is a directory (or file), create one by storing a copy of the argument (using tar) and copies it to the list... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: peter20
0 Replies
BACKUP(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 BACKUP(8)

NAME
backup - backup files SYNOPSIS
backup [-djmnorstvz] dir1 dir2 OPTIONS
-d At top level, only directories are backed up -j Do not copy junk: *.Z, *.bak, a.out, core, etc -m If device full, prompt for new diskette -n Do not backup top-level directories -o Do not copy *.o files -r Restore files -s Do not copy *.s files -t Preserve creation times -v Verbose; list files being backed up -z Compress the files on the backup medium EXAMPLES
backup -mz . /f0 # Backup current directory compressed backup /bin /usr/bin # Backup bin from RAM disk to hard disk DESCRIPTION
Backup (recursively) backs up the contents of a given directory and its subdirectories to another part of the file system. It has two typ- ical uses. First, some portion of the file system can be backed up onto 1 or more diskettes. When a diskette fills up, the user is prompted for a new one. The backups are in the form of mountable file systems. Second, a directory on RAM disk can be backed up onto hard disk. If the target directory is empty, the entire source directory is copied there, optionally compressed to save space. If the target directory is an old backup, only those files in the target directory that are older than similar names in the source directory are replaced. Backup uses times for this purpose, like make. Calling Backup as Restore is equivalent to using the -r option; this replaces newer files in the target directory with older files from the source directory, uncompressing them if necessary. The target directory con- tents are thus returned to some previous state. SEE ALSO
tar(1). BACKUP(8)