Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to write a new entry at the beginning of a log file instead of at the end? Post 302657175 by freddie50 on Saturday 16th of June 2012 04:06:32 PM
Old 06-16-2012
How to write a new entry at the beginning of a log file instead of at the end?

Hi Ladies and Gents,

Explanation of my question with an example:

Let's consider the script: backup_every_hour.sh
Code:
#!/bin/bash
rsync -auv $dir $backup_dir >> backup_every_hour_script.log

Each time this script is called there will be a new entry at the end of the file backup_every_hour_script.log
How do you pile up new entries at the beginning of this file?
Many thanks for your help and keep up the great work!
Cheers,
freddie50

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar: write error unexpected end of file

Hi, I have attempted to backup some database files on my company's Solaris machine about 3 times now. Each time that I attempt the backup, about 6 files are evident on the dat tape when I do read of the media and then I see the dreaded "tar: write error unexpected EOF" message. Each time that I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: robyn
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cat a file from end to beginning

Is there an option, for cat, head, tail, or is there any way, to display a file from last line to first? For example, my file looks like this: aaaa bbbb cccc eeee and I would like to print or display it like this: eeee cccc bbbb aaaa thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jpprial
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert two strings at the beginning and at the end of each line of a file

Hi, excuse me for my poor english. My problem is that: I have a File i want to add to each line of that file two strings: one at the beginning of the line, one at the ending. string1="abcd" string2="efgh" i want $string1 content $string2 for each line. Is that possible? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linux-fueled
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

write new line at the beginning of an existing file

I was trying to find out the easiest way to write new line to the beginning of an exisiting file. I am using KSH. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sailussr
5 Replies

5. Programming

How to write a new line to the end of the file in Perl?

i am very new to Perl. i am using Ubuntu. i have a string call $string that contains following words "new line". i also have a data file as follows. djfibjbet etitrbjijbtr rrge rgjierjegjeri jerijg kijij jijij i want to write my new line to my data file as follows. djfibjbet... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: usustarr
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add new line at beginning and end of a file

Hi, I have a specific requirement to add text at the beginning and end of a plain text file. I tried to use "sed" with '1i' and '$a' flags but these required two separate "sed" commands separated with "|". I am looking for some command/option to join these two in single command parameter. ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhupinder08
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add words in beginning , end after removing a word in a file

My file has the entries like below... /dev/sds /dev/sdak /dev/sdbc /dev/sdbu I want to make the file like below echo 1 > /sys/block/sds/device/rescan echo 1 > /sys/block/sdak/device/rescan echo 1 > /sys/block/sdbc/device/rescan echo 1 > /sys/block/sdbu/device/rescan (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saravanapandi
2 Replies

8. How to Post in the The UNIX and Linux Forums

Help me, write a bash script to delete parent entry with all their child entry in LDAP UNIX server

Hi All, Please help me and guide me to write a bash/shell script on Linux box to delete parent entry with all their child entries. example: Parent is : ---------- dn: email=yogesh.kumar@wipro.com, o=wipro, o=in child is: ---------- dn: cn: yogesh kumar, email=yogesh.kumar@wipro.com,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Chand
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding test to beginning and end of list in a file

Hi all and apologies for the silly question, but I've searched and I can't get this right. I have a list of email addresses in a file that I need to blacklist (spam). the list is quite long and I would need to script a small routine so that I can get the following for each line in the file: db... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bm555
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

File write begin/end, recording time

Hello all, How can I find out the start and end of the writing file in the directory or recording time for writing file? I have a directory where small ~ 1*MB temporary files are written. After the end of the record, they are retrieved and erased. I can only find out that the files are... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrAibo
4 Replies
PAPS(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   PAPS(1)

NAME
paps - UTF-8 to PostScript converter using Pango SYNOPSIS
paps [options] files... DESCRIPTION
paps reads a UTF-8 encoded file and generates a PostScript language rendering of the file. The rendering is done by creating outline curves through the pango ft2 backend. OPTIONS
These programs follow the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. --landscape Landscape output. Default is portrait. --columns=cl Number of columns output. Default is 1. --font=desc Set the font description. Default is Monospace 12. --rtl Do rtl layout. --paper ps Choose paper size. Known paper sizes are legal, letter, a4. Default is A4. --bottom-margin=bm Set bottom margin in postscript points (1/72 inch). Default is 36. --top-margin=tm Set top margin. Default is 36. --left-margin=lm Set left margin. Default is 36. --right-margin=rm Set right margin. Default is 36. --help Show summary of options. --header Draw page header for each page. --markup Interpret the text as pango markup. --encoding=ENCODING Assume the documentation encoding is ENCODING. --lpi Set the lines per inch. This determines the line spacing. --cpi Set the characters per inch. This is an alternative method of specifying the font size. --stretch-chars Indicates that characters should be stretched in the y-direction to fill up their vertical space. This is similar to the texttops behaviour. AUTHOR
paps was written by Dov Grobgeld <dov.grobgeld@gmail.com>. This manual page was written by Lior Kaplan <kaplan@debian.org>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). April 17, 2006 PAPS(1)