Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting add path variable permanently Post 302656499 by joeyg on Thursday 14th of June 2012 07:49:59 PM
Old 06-14-2012
depends on your hardware and operating system

What hardware?
What unix system?

That will determine the login file(s) that could be modified to make this permanent.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

add bin to variable PATH and save changes

i wrote a script and is running. I add the path bin to variable PATH, i.e. PATH=$PATH/bin. i add this to PATH in order to run the script in any path working directory. Thats ok. The problem is as son as i close the session and start a new session, changes are lost. How can i tell the shell or... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alexcol
1 Replies

2. Red Hat

permanently add static route

I have a machine with an interface that has two different addresses on CentOS 5 eth0: 10.20.21.77 eth0:1 141.218.1.221 If I issue this command I get the result I'm looking for. /sbin/route add -net 141.218.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 gw 10.20.21.77 ip route show dev eth0 141.218.1.0/24... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: beaker457
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove a path from PATH environment variable

Hi I need a script which will remove a path from PATH environment variable. For example $echo PATH /usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:test/rmve:/usr/games $echo rmv test/rmve Here I need a shell script which will remove rmv path (test/rmve) from PATH... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhu84
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

one liner to extract path from PATH variable

Hi, Could anyone help me in writing a single line code by either using (sed, awk, perl or whatever) to extract a specific path from the PATH environment variable? for eg: suppose the PATH is being set as follows PATH=/usr/bin/:/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin/java:/usr/bin/perl3.4 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
2 Replies

5. IP Networking

Is there any way to add an exception for a port in the firewall setting, permanently?

Hello, I want to add a port in the firewall exception list so that my application can be accessed over network even if firewall is disabled. I am using iptables command to add exception. The problem is, after setting the rule if I change the firewall setting i.e. on/off then it is overwriting... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: senrooy
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending a path in user's PATH variable

Hello Folks, I want to append a path in user's PATH variable which should be available in current session. Background Numerous persons will run a utility. Aim is to add the absolute path of the utility the first time it runs so that next runs have the PATH in env & users can directly run... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibhor_agarwali
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Path a variable to sed that includes a path

Hi I'm trying to select text between two lines, I'm using sed to to this, but I need to pass variables to it. For example start="BEGIN /home/mavkoup/data" end="END" sed -n -e '/${start}/,/${end}/g' doesn't work. I've tried double quotes as well. I think there's a problem with the / in the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mavkoup
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to add a path variable

Hi, I tried to add a path vairable export GPLOAD_CONNECT_STR= -U crm -h sdc-gp1-dev1 -d wmgpdev but it throws the below error -bash: export: `-U': not a valid identifier -bash: export: `-h': not a valid identifier -bash: export: `sdc-gp1-dev1': not a valid identifier -bash: export:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: burton
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setting the path permanently using shell script

I'm trying to set the path permanently through a shell script. (/opt/quest/bin:/usr/bin/lab to /.profile.) I tired using echo option like below but it doesn't work. Please suggest me the right way to do so. echo "PATH=$PATH:/opt/quest/bin:/usr/bin/lab" >> /.profile (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pjeedu2247
6 Replies

10. Red Hat

Add directory to path permanently

I ssh in and am trying to add a directory permanently to $PATH in centos 7 and having issues. My current $PATH is echo $PATH /usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/root/bin but when I do a sudo nano ~/.bashrc # .bashrc # User specific aliases and functions alias... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
7 Replies
ENVIRONMENT.D(5)                                                   environment.d                                                  ENVIRONMENT.D(5)

NAME
environment.d - Definition of user session environment SYNOPSIS
~/.config/environment.d/*.conf /etc/environment.d/*.conf /run/environment.d/*.conf /usr/lib/environment.d/*.conf /etc/environment DESCRIPTION
The environment.d directories contain a list of "global" environment variable assignments for the user environment. systemd-environment-d- generator(8) parses them and updates the environment exported by the systemd user instance to the services it starts. It is recommended to use numerical prefixes for file names to simplify ordering. For backwards compatibility, a symlink to /etc/environment is installed, so this file is also parsed. CONFIGURATION DIRECTORIES AND PRECEDENCE
Configuration files are read from directories in /etc/, /run/, and /lib/, in order of precedence. Each configuration file in these configuration directories shall be named in the style of filename.conf. Files in /etc/ override files with the same name in /run/ and /lib/. Files in /run/ override files with the same name in /lib/. Packages should install their configuration files in /lib/. Files in /etc/ are reserved for the local administrator, who may use this logic to override the configuration files installed by vendor packages. All configuration files are sorted by their filename in lexicographic order, regardless of which of the directories they reside in. If multiple files specify the same option, the entry in the file with the lexicographically latest name will take precedence. It is recommended to prefix all filenames with a two-digit number and a dash, to simplify the ordering of the files. If the administrator wants to disable a configuration file supplied by the vendor, the recommended way is to place a symlink to /dev/null in the configuration directory in /etc/, with the same filename as the vendor configuration file. If the vendor configuration file is included in the initrd image, the image has to be regenerated. CONFIGURATION FORMAT
The configuration files contain a list of "KEY=VALUE" environment variable assignments, separated by newlines. The right hand side of these assignments may reference previously defined environment variables, using the "${OTHER_KEY}" and "$OTHER_KEY" format. It is also possible to use "${FOO:-DEFAULT_VALUE}" to expand in the same way as "${FOO}" unless the expansion would be empty, in which case it expands to DEFAULT_VALUE, and use "${FOO:+ALTERNATE_VALUE}" to expand to ALTERNATE_VALUE as long as "${FOO}" would have expanded to a non-empty value. No other elements of shell syntax are supported. Each KEY must be a valid variable name. Empty lines and lines beginning with the comment character "#" are ignored. Example Example 1. Setup environment to allow access to a program installed in /opt/foo /etc/environment.d/60-foo.conf: FOO_DEBUG=force-software-gl,log-verbose PATH=/opt/foo/bin:$PATH LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/foo/lib${LD_LIBRARY_PATH:+:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH} XDG_DATA_DIRS=/opt/foo/share:${XDG_DATA_DIRS:-/usr/local/share/:/usr/share/} SEE ALSO
systemd(1), systemd-environment-d-generator(8), systemd.environment-generator(7) systemd 237 ENVIRONMENT.D(5)