Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Why double quotation marks doesn't work in ksh function parameters passing? Post 302655271 by elixir_sinari on Wednesday 13th of June 2012 03:27:26 AM
Old 06-13-2012
Interesting...

As far as I can guess, when you directly pass parameters to the function using quotes to delimit them, the shell will consider the parameter list without the quotes but with the embedded white-spaces...

Code:
set -x

parse "009085" " " "0405103025 " "0912" "0"

+ parse 009085   0405103025  0912 0
[009085]
[ ]
[0405103025 ]
[0912]
[0]

But, when you get the argument list from a file using command substitution, the shell will do nothing more about it. It will use the current IFS value to decide the positional parameters.

Code:
parse "$(cat para.txt)"

+ cat para.txt
+ parse "009085" " " "0405103025 " "0912" "0"
["009085"]
["]
["]
["0405103025]
["]

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

enclose a line with quotation marks

i have a file like this aaaa bbbb cccc aaa aaaa aa cccccccccccccccc aaaaaaa aaaa aaaa i want to enclose this lines with double quotation: "aaaa bbbb cccc" "aaa aaaa" "aa cccccccccccccccc" "aaaaaaa aaaa aaaa" any idea? (preferably without using sed) thanks in advance... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gfhgfnhhn
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing values to function in Ksh

Hi, I'm trying to work on the script given below #!/bin/ksh -x pfile() { echo "$1" } touch smp19 echo "Hi" > smp19 result=$(pfile $smp19) echo $result As highlighted , when i pass $smp19 as parameter ,it does not display the output.However when i try giving "Hi" instead... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sheema
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

export variable from ksh script doesn't work

Hi there, in a script I have #!/usr/bin/ksh TEST=hello export TEST Problem is, that the variable doesn't get exported. I also tried typeset -x TEST=hello When I put the two lines in my .profile, the variable is set fine. Whats could be the problem here? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: doc_symbiosis
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing the parameters using a function

Hi All, I am new to shell scripting required some help in passing the parameter value to the shell script. I am writing a shell script, in the script I have created two functions as below. first function get_trend_ids () { Here I am connecting to the database and getting all the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shruthidwh
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count number of character occurence but not from quotation marks

I have the following string: 31-01-2012, 09:42:37;OK;94727132638;"Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2.1)";3G;WAP;I need a script which is counting the occurrence of semicolons ( ; ) but exclude the ones from the quotation marks. In the string given as example there are 8 semicolons but the script... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: calinlicj
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing parameters to bash script function (or subroutine)

I've found a few posts regarding passing parameters to a function or subroutine, but for some reason when I try to run a command based on part with these parameters it's not working. If I have the function echo the parameters they show correctly so I believe they are being passed right but the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: withanh
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

carriage returns within quotation marks causing new lines in csv

I have a csv file with 3 columns. Fields are comma delimited and strings are enclosed with quotation marks "". About 40% of the time, the line of values will start a new line thanks to carriage return characters within a string. Example: "apple","banana","orange" "pineapple","grape","straw... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: koeji
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Function doesn't work

Hello, and here's my problem: I can't get my function to do what I want. When I call my function get_from_A_to_F I give it an argument $remainder. I want my function to substitute a number higher than 9 to a specific letter. If the argument is equal to 10 than it should change it to "A".... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: linas
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple carriage returns within quotation marks causing new lines in csv

There is a closed thread called "carriage returns within quotation marks causing new lines in csv" that I am unable to post to, so I am starting a new thread. The awk solution worked perfectly in most cases. We have some cases where there are multiple carriage returns within a single quoted... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mary Roberts
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Bash] passing variables to executable doesn't work

Bash version 4.4.20 / Ubuntu 16.0.4 Hello, I tried to write a script that gathers some data and passes them to an executable. The executed application answers with an error. The echo output in the script returns correct values. If I copy/paste the last echo command, it get's executed... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sushi2k7
2 Replies
cs_destroy(3)							      cs/cs.h							     cs_destroy(3)

NAME
cs_destroy - clean up and dealloc a parse tree SYNOPSIS
#include <cs/cs.h> void cs_destroy (CSPARSE **parse); ARGUMENTS
parse - a pointer to a parse structure. DESCRIPTION
cs_destroy will clean up all the memory associated with a CSPARSE structure, including strings passed to cs_parse_string. This does not clean up any memory allocated by your own CSOUTFUNC or the HDF data structure passed to cs_init. It is safe to call this with a NULL pointer, and it will leave parse NULL as well (ie, it can be called more than once on the same var) RETURN VALUE
parse - will be NULL SEE ALSO
cs_dump(3), cs_destroy(3), cs_render(3), cs_register_esc_strfunc(3), cs_arg_parsev(3), cs_register_fileload(3), cs_init(3), cs_regis- ter_strfunc(3), cs_arg_parse(3), cs_parse_string(3), cs_parse_file(3), =(3), cs_register_function ClearSilver 12 July 2007 cs_destroy(3)