Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting modify ls -l (long listing format output) strictly using SED only straightforward goalhard 4 me doh Post 302655117 by Chubler_XL on Tuesday 12th of June 2012 09:15:43 PM
Old 06-12-2012
Try this:

Code:
sed -e 's/^\([^ ]*\)  *\([^ ]*\)  *\([^ ]*\)  *\([^ ]*\)  *\([^ ]*\)/1stString (\1) 2ndWord (\2) 3rdWord (\3) 4thWord (\4) 5thWord (\5)/'

For files with spaces in their name consider -Q (quote name) option of ls.
This User Gave Thanks to Chubler_XL For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

long listing of files up to a given date

Hi I would like to a long list of files up to a given date. I've tried: ls -al > filelist but this command gives me all the files. I've also have tried the find command: find . -mtime -10 -type f -print > filelist This gives me information on active file within the past 10 days and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rlh
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

ls -l output with long iso format

Hello everbody, I've a list of logfiles (transfer1.log, transfer2.log, ... transfer168.log.) Each of these was created at the end of the actual month and I've to write a script to calculate the utilisation ratio of the actual month of the system. I don't want to scan every logfile, so I've to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rofflox
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep/matching help with long listing of directories

How do I get this to work? cat somefile | grep "-rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 287 Sep 10 15:12 shells~" This is the the desired output -rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 287 Sep 10 15:12 shells~ I basically want an exact match of the line I am grepping for, the special characters and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: streetfighter2
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed and Output line too long

hello i try this command in console mode sed -e :a -e '/$/N; s/\(\)\n/\1 /; ta' test.txt > result.txt i have in the output screen "Output line too long" for multiples lines can you please tell me how can i retrieve those long lines during the execution ? Another thing very... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ade05fr
5 Replies

5. Solaris

Listing the long groupnames

Hello, When listing the file systems (using ls -ltr) , if the group names are longer the group name is getting truncated. Can someone help with the script which would display the truncated group name? I appreciate if someone could help in this regard. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mike12
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

shell script for long listing of groupnames

Hello, When listing the file systems (using ls -ltr) , if the group names are longer the group name is getting truncated. Can someone help with the script which would display the truncated group name? I appreciate if someone could help in this regard. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mike12
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modify a perl line to parse out and output to another format

Hey there... I am looking for a way to take the below contents ( small excerpt) of this file called PTR.csv ptrrecord,0000002e0cc0.homeoffice.anfcorp.com,,10.11.191.62,,,False,62.191.11.10.in-addr.arpa,,302400,default... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: richsark
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Format output sed

For each token in this file: Al+nHr Al+ErAqy syAsy lA TA}fy Al+ArbEA' $wAl I hope to get this: AlnHr Al+nHr AlErAqy Al+ErAqy syAsy syAsy lA lA TA}fy TA}fy AlArbEA' Al+ArbEA' $wAl $wAl So I want have this format in each line: <token with no +><space><original token> Is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Viernes
1 Replies

9. Solaris

Grant unprivileged user rights to see the output of echo|format but not modify disks

anyone have any idea how do to this with auth_attr? I suspect if I grant him solaris.device.:RO::Device Allocation::help=DevAllocHeader.html that will work but I'm unsure. Just looking for a second opinion. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: os2mac
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to generate HTML output format listing like orasnap

Hi, Is there any UNIX scripts out there that generates a listing output of some sort similar to OraSnap At the moment, I have a script that I run on multiple servers that has multiple databases and just querying the database sizes of those databases. It generates a text files that contains... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
0 Replies
LESSECHO(1)						      General Commands Manual						       LESSECHO(1)

NAME
lessecho - expand metacharacters SYNOPSIS
lessecho [-ox] [-cx] [-pn] [-dn] [-mx] [-nn] [-ex] [-a] file ... DESCRIPTION
lessecho is a program that simply echos its arguments on standard output. But any argument containing spaces is enclosed in quotes. OPTIONS
A summary of options is included below. -ox Specifies "x" to be the open quote character. -cx Specifies "x" to be the close quote character. -pn Specifies "n" to be the open quote character, as an integer. -dn Specifies "n" to be the close quote character, as an integer. -mx Specifies "x" to be a metachar. -nn Specifies "n" to be a metachar, as an integer. -ex Specifies "x" to be the escape char for metachars. -fn Specifies "n" to be the escape char for metachars, as an integer. -a Specifies that all arguments are to be quoted. The default is that only arguments containing spaces are quoted. SEE ALSO
less(1) AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Thomas Schoepf <schoepf@debian.org>, for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others). Send bug reports or comments to bug-less@gnu.org. Version 444: 09 Jun 2011 LESSECHO(1)