Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash script to start program and answer prompts? Post 302655089 by lanew on Tuesday 12th of June 2012 06:49:17 PM
Old 06-12-2012
Thank You!

Bartus, you are the man! That worked better than I could have expected. Flawless. Thank you very much.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I start a program when I start my Computer?

I'm running MAC OS X and I'm wondering how I start 'nixey programs (not normal apps) on startup? Things like the dnet client and hxd Hotline Server. Anyone know? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: l008com
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script answer prompts?

Hi, I'm writing a script that calls a function to generate a certificate. In generating this certificate, I'm asked a series of questions. I was wondering, is there a way to pre-program my script to answer these questions in the same way all the time. I saw something like EOF>> y EOF ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: eltinator
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shell Program that prompts for user Id

Hi I have a question that after trying tirelessly I cant solve. I'm not great wth UNIX and wonder if anyone could help. I have to create a shell program using functions that prompts for a user ID. I must then verify that the user Id corresponds to an account on the system. If a legal user Id is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mmg2711
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Program that prompts for user Id

Hi I have a question that after trying tirelessly I cant solve. I'm not great wth UNIX and wonder if anyone could help. I have to create a shell program using functions that prompts for a user ID. I must then verify that the user Id corresponds to an account on the system. If a legal user Id is... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: mmg2711
16 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Start program in background (or start crontab ahead of time)

Hey! I'm working on a script that will add a user, create some configfiles, and add a crontab for the user. The crontab looks like the following: @reboot /home/user/program config.conf & I would like for this process to start at the end of my script under the corresponding username by... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: noratx
0 Replies

6. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Bash answer prompt

I am working with a script to simplyfy some operations where I work, but one of the programs needs me to enter a password. It will as me "Please enter the administrator password:" Is there a way to make a bash script to automatically answer the question with the needed password? I am looking... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: noratx
3 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

Run Program from Bash CGI-Script

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: This is a problem I am having with my 2 semester senior project. I have a LAMP server running Ubuntu 9.10 with... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: JMooney5115
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with bash shell script program

Hi, This is my program. #!/bin/bash today=`date +"%b-%d-%Y"` SERVICE="pbxconnect.php" if ; then echo "pbx program is running" else nohup php pbxconnect.php > logpbx-$today.txt & fi On executing using "sh myprogram.sh" , i get the following error. myprogram.sh: line 4: ' My... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gskumar1234
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Scrolling through text while interacting with program prompts

Hi all, I am trying write a shell script to automate the installation of a program, but during the process of the installation, the installation program requires the user to scroll through 10 pages of a license agreement. Since this is coming from stdout and is not a prompt, I am unable to send... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nanlee
4 Replies

10. Programming

Putting bash script in C program

suppose i have a bash script: #!/bin/bash echo "hello" echo "how are you" echo "today" how can i put the entire script above into a basic c program? i do not want to translate the bash code to a c code. i want C to run the bash code. is this possible? i found this on the... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
15 Replies
FVWM-THEMES-COM(1)						   Fvwm Utility 						FVWM-THEMES-COM(1)

NAME
fvwm-themes-com - fvwm-themes communication center SYNOPSIS
fvwm-themes-com [ --help] [ --version] [ --name name ] [ --message message ] [ --lock-and-get ] [ --get-buffer ] [ --clear-buffer ] [ --buffer-name name ] [ --line lineNbr] DESCRIPTION
This script is not a user script. It is used by Fvwm-Themes for communication between some FvwmScript scripts and some other programs. Basically, you want to start a programs in the background which support the fvwm-themes-com communication protocol (e.g., fvwm-themes-menu- app and fvwm-themes-config with the com-mode option can be used as generic examples), then you can use fvwm-themes-com to ask questions or to give instructions to the background program. The answer are displayed by fvwm-themes-com in the standard out put and can be used by a FvwmScript script via the GetoutPut instruction. The advantage of using this method is that the background program have to do its main job only once (e.g., parsing a lot of informations and storing them in some variables) and a script can have very fast answer from the back- ground program via fvwm-themes-com. OPTIONS
--help - show the help and exit --version - show the version and exit --name name - the name of the communication (e.g., if you start fvwm-themes-menuapp with --com-name pid option you must use menuapp-pid as name to communicate with it). The pipe used for communication are $FVWM_DATADIR/{.tmp-com-in-name,tmp-com-out-name,tmp-com-lock-name}. The "buffer" file is $FVWM_USERDIR/.tmp-com-buffer-name --message - A one line message to be sent to the back program. --lock-and-get - Wait (a certain "time out") for an answer of the message. Then, the answer is displayed on STDOUT. --line n - n must be an integer n > 0. In the case of a lock and get message, fvwm-themes-com will out put only the nth line of the answer of the back program on STDOUT and will copy the complete answer in a "buffer" file. If you use the get-buffer option the nth line of the buffer is out put on STDOUT. --get-buffer - Out put the buffer file on STDOUT. --buffer-name othername - Use an alternative name for the buffer file: $FVWM_USERDIR/.tmp-com-buffer-othername. This is usefull if two pro- grams use the same background program and both use the buffer. --clear-buffer - remove the buffer file. USAGE
Here an example: In the Script FvwmScript-Menus you first start the background program, here fvwm-themes-menuapp, and you set some variables for an easy use of fvwm-themes-com: # found the FvwmScript pid Set $CMD = {perl -e '$t=getppid; print $t . " "'} Set $PID = (GetOutput $CMD 1 -1) # Run fvwm-themes-menuapp until the end of the script Do {Exec fvwm-themes-menuapp --com-mode --com-name=menuapp-}$PID{ &} # to send fvwm-themes-com command Set $SendMsgAndGet = {fvwm-themes-com --name menuapp-}$PID{ --lock-and-get --message=} Set $SendMsg = {fvwm-themes-com --name menuapp-}$PID{ --message=} Set $GetLine = {fvwm-themes-com --name menuapp-}$PID{ --get-buffer --line=} Then in the Script you can ask fvwm-themes-menuapp for some informations: # Get the menu list Set $CMD = $SendMsgAndGet{"menu-items }$MENU{"} Set $ItemsList = (GetOutput $CMD 1 -1) ChangeTitle 11 $ItemsList You can also just send an instruction to fvwm-themes-menuapp: Set $CMD = $SendMsg{"exit"} Do {Exec }$CMD Of course your back program have to support the fvwm-themes-com protocol. See fvwm-themes-menuapp and fvwm-themes-config for examples (com- mode option). See also FvwmScript-Menus and FvwmScript-ThemesCenter. AUTHORS
Olivier Chapuis <olivier.chapuis@free.fr>, 5 May 2000. COPYING
The script is distributed by the same terms as fvwm itself. See GNU General Public License for details. BUGS
Report bugs to fvwm-themes-devel@lists.sourceforge.net 3rd Berkeley Distribution perl v5.6.0 FVWM-THEMES-COM(1)