Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Calling variables in case
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Calling variables in case Post 302655071 by Miki1579 on Tuesday 12th of June 2012 04:55:29 PM
Old 06-12-2012
Calling variables in case

Hey guys,

I got a little problem with calling variables in my case

This is a simple version of my script:

Code:
var1=1
var2=2

while [ $1 ]
do
  case $1 in
    "a")
      var1=$var2;
      echo "1";
      echo "var1: $var1";
      echo "var2: $var2";;
    "b")
      var2=5;
      echo "2";
      echo "var1: $var1";
      echo "var2: $var2";;
  esac
  shift
done

I want the change from var2=5 to be done to var1 so that var1 also becomes 5

Is there a way to do that ?

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 06-12-2012 at 06:08 PM.. Reason: code tags

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

variables use upper case? sed : output to the same file?

Hi, Q1: are the variables in shell script usually UPPER CASE? Q2: can sed output to the same file that it's using it? eg. cat sameFile | sed 's/here/there/g' > sameFile ? I expect the sed replace all "here" to "there" and change it in sameFile. i tried that one, the sameFile... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gusla
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

lower case to upper case string conversion in shell script

How can convert a Lower case variable value to an upper case in the kron shell script. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dchalavadi
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script needed to select and delete lower case and mixed case records

HELLO ALL, URGENTLY NEEDED A SCRIPT TO SELECT AND DELETE LOWER AND MIXED CASE RECORDS FROM A COLUMN IN A TABLE. FOR EXAMPLE : Table name is EMPLOYEE and the column name is CITY and the CITY column records will be: Newyork washington ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abhilash mn
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing a variables value from the called script to calling script using ksh

How do i get the value of the variable from the called script(script2) to the calling script(script1) in ksh ? I've given portion of the script here to explain the problem. Portion of Script 1 ============= ----- ----- tmp=`a.ksh p1 p2 p3` if then # error processing fi -----... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajarkumar
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

problems calling out variables in a loop

good afternoon forums. i have a problem that ive been trying to work out all morning and cant seem to get my head around it. what i have in my script is individual letters saved in different variables. so if the word unix was saved then 'u' would be stored in the variable 'wvar1' 'n' in 'wvar2'... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: strasner
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

using variables in case statement

is it possible to call a variable in a case statement, for example lsmonth=Jan|Feb l |while read ans do mymonth=`echo $ans |awk '{print $6}'` case $mymonth in $lsmonth) echo do something ;; *) echo do something else ;; esac done I want to use $lsmonth... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: gefa
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

calling function with case

Hi I making a shell script and have some problem to start a function. echo "chose a number to download" read i; case $i in 1) head -1 ~/test3 | tail -1 > ~/test4;; 2) head -2 ~/test3 | tail -1 > ~/test4;; 3) head -3 ~/test3 | tail -1 >... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: pelle
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Change Upper case to Lower case in C shell

Is there a command that can switch a character variable from UPPER case to lower case? like foreach AC ( ABC BCD PLL QIO) set ac `COMMAND($AC)` ... end Thanks a lot! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rockytodd
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

calling script with multiple variables in second script

Hi All, Just give me an idea on how to do the below logic. 1. I have one master script masterload.sh, the usage of this script is a. masterload.sh FULL BFLF_LOAD.txt b. masterload.sh DELTA TDLD_LOAD.txt c.masterload.sh USER MAS_LOAD.txt FULL , DELTA ,USER are the varaibles based... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mora
1 Replies
PAPS(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   PAPS(1)

NAME
paps - UTF-8 to PostScript converter using Pango SYNOPSIS
paps [options] files... DESCRIPTION
paps reads a UTF-8 encoded file and generates a PostScript language rendering of the file. The rendering is done by creating outline curves through the pango ft2 backend. OPTIONS
These programs follow the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. --landscape Landscape output. Default is portrait. --columns=cl Number of columns output. Default is 1. --font=desc Set the font description. Default is Monospace 12. --rtl Do rtl layout. --paper ps Choose paper size. Known paper sizes are legal, letter, a4. Default is A4. --bottom-margin=bm Set bottom margin in postscript points (1/72 inch). Default is 36. --top-margin=tm Set top margin. Default is 36. --left-margin=lm Set left margin. Default is 36. --right-margin=rm Set right margin. Default is 36. --help Show summary of options. --header Draw page header for each page. --markup Interpret the text as pango markup. --encoding=ENCODING Assume the documentation encoding is ENCODING. --lpi Set the lines per inch. This determines the line spacing. --cpi Set the characters per inch. This is an alternative method of specifying the font size. --stretch-chars Indicates that characters should be stretched in the y-direction to fill up their vertical space. This is similar to the texttops behaviour. AUTHOR
paps was written by Dov Grobgeld <dov.grobgeld@gmail.com>. This manual page was written by Lior Kaplan <kaplan@debian.org>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). April 17, 2006 PAPS(1)