Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Matching 10 Million file records with 10 Million in other file Post 302654743 by methyl on Tuesday 12th of June 2012 08:33:11 AM
Old 06-12-2012
What Operating System and version are you running?

How big are the files?
Are either or both of the files in sorted order?
Do the records in each file match one-for-one?
Does the output order matter?

Can you post sample input and matching output?

Is this an extract from a database where it might be easier to work on the data while it is still in the database?

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract data from large file 80+ million records

Hello, I have got one file with more than 120+ million records(35 GB in size). I have to extract some relevant data from file based on some parameter and generate other output file. What will be the besat and fastest way to extract the ne file. sample file format :--... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: learner16s
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sort a file which has 3.7 million records

hi, I'm trying to sort a file which has 3.7 million records an gettign the following error...any help is appreciated... sort: Write error while merging. Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: greenworld
6 Replies

3. What is on Your Mind?

Pick a Number Between 0 and 20 for 1 Million Bits

Here is an easy game! I wrote a number between 0 and 20 (that can include 0 and 20) on a piece of paper. I am staring at it now, imagining the number so you can read my mind ;) Reply once, and only once, with a number from 0 to 20 and the first person to guess it wins 1,000,000 Bits. ... (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
24 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tail 86000 lines from 1.2 million line file?

I have a log file that is about 1.2 million lines long and about 300MB. we need a way to clean up this file and only keep the last few thousand lines. if i use tail command we run our of memory as the file is too big. I do have a key word to match on. example, we want to keep every line... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: robsonde
8 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Pls. help with script to remove million files

Hi, one of the server, log directory was never cleaned up. We have so many files. I want to remove all the files that starts with dfr* but I get error message when I use the *. rm qfr* bash: /usr/bin/rm: Arg list too long I am trying to write this script but not working. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: samnyc
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting a million of files ..

Hi, Which way is faster rm -rf /path/ or find / -name -exec rm {} \; and why? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cain82
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Add 1 million columns

Hi, here is my problem: I've got a file with 6 columns (file1): a b c d e f a b c d e f a b c d e f a b c d e f I need to add 1 million columns to this file, each column needs to be a zero. Here is how the result file (file2) should look like (for the sake of the example, I've only... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: zajtat
7 Replies
uupath(1)						      General Commands Manual							 uupath(1)

NAME
uupath, mkuupath - access and manage the pathalias database SYNOPSIS
pathsfile] mailaddress pathsfile DESCRIPTION
The commands, including and are targeted for removal from HP-UX; see the below. provides electronic message routing by expanding a simple UUCP address into a full UUCP path (see uucp(1)). For example, could be expanded into expands an address by parsing mailaddress for the dominant host (see below) and looking up the host in the appropriate database (see pathalias(1)). If the host is found in the database, the expanded address is written to the standard output. If the host is not found, writes the original address to the standard output and returns an exit status of 1. expects mailaddress to be in UUCP format (hostor ARPANET format (user@host). The option opens the database based on pathsfile rather than the default database based on This database must be a database created by con- sisting of the two files and The dominant host is the left-most UUCP host in mailaddress. If no UUCP host is found (no is in the address), assumes that the address is in the simple ARPANET format user@host. If the address does not match either format, writes the original address to the standard output and returns an exit status of 1. constructs a mail routing database by using the pathsfile data file obtained from (see pathalias(1)). as input. The recommended pathsfile location is because this is the default database used by The database files and are created by If these files already exist, they must be removed prior to running The option specifies verbose mode, which writes a line to the standard output for each entry written to the database. DIAGNOSTICS
returns an exit status of 1 and writes the original mailaddress to the standard output if the address is not found or is incorrectly for- matted. returns an exit status of 2 and prints a diagnostic message if the database files are not accessible, or if improper parameters are given. Otherwise, returns an exit status of 0. If the database files and already exist prior to running the message is displayed. These files must be removed before running WARNINGS
Use of commands, including and is discouraged because they are targeted for removal from HP-UX. Use ftp(1) or rcp(1) instead. AUTHOR
was developed by University of California, Berkeley. FILES
SEE ALSO
pathalias(1), uucp(1). TO BE OBSOLETED uupath(1)