Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Ejecting tape on AIX & Some Tape commands Post 302653969 by petervg on Monday 11th of June 2012 05:22:44 AM
Old 06-11-2012
Can it be that the tapes was still working on a previous job. Sometimes it helps to wait some minutes before you issue the next tape command.

Also check if there's not another process holding the tape.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Space free on tape /delete a single file on tape

Hi, I' using a sun solaris server, I would like to known if there is the possibility to control how many space is free on a tape and how I can delete a single file on a tape. Thanks DOMENICO (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Minguccio75
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mounting DLT tape and to backup file to tape

Hi there: I'm new here Can anyone help me: I have DS15 Alpha server : Unix 5.1B Now i need to connect a DLVT VS80 1U Rackmount Tape Drive unit. What is the exact comman to mount the DLTape IV?? How do i make backuo @ copy file to the tape? Thanx to all (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ayzeayem
0 Replies

3. AIX

Tape Library on Aix

I am having my 14 Aix 5.3 servers on bladecenters connected with my Tape Library. I had a backup scheduled on tape library but after taking backup successfully, Now, Question 1:- I wanted to restore backup but tape library could not recognize the tape and I get I/O error in TSM. I think it... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shrek
0 Replies

4. SCO

Tape Status shows 2 Hard errors and 5 Underruns on new tape

when I do a tape status /dev/rStp0 I get the following on a new tape and I have tried several: Status : ready beginning-of-tape soft errors : 0 hard errors: 2 underruns: 5 My BackupEdge has stopped backing up my system because it asks for a new volume yet my total system data is under 20... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: psytropic
5 Replies

5. Solaris

Tar & Tape drive without media

Hi all, I would like to know what would happen if the tape (media) is not placed on the drive and a tar command is executed to backup on the tape. My problem is that tar command hanged for multiple days instead of throwing the error, Is it valid behaviour? I was unable to test the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jmsathish
4 Replies

6. AIX

AIX 5.3 & Veritas Backup with Tape Library

hello, I am facing this problem when trying to prepare AIX 5.3 for Veritas Backup: Veritas Software is not able to communicate properly with our tape library When we tried to run these commands here's the output # cfgmgr -l fscsi0 # cfgmgr -l fscsi2 # cfgmgr -l fscsi1 cfgmgr:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
3 Replies

7. AIX

I could not delete the tape in AIX !

I could not delete the tape in AIX This is the steps which i used .. but still it did not deleted .. ! server/root>lscfg -l rmt0 rmt0 U789D.001.DQD298Y-P1-C5-T2-L6-L0 Other SCSI Tape Drive server/root> server/root> server/root>lsdev -l rmt0 -F parent scsi3... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mr.AIX
3 Replies

8. AIX

How to make a copy of a tape to another tape?

Hello, We need to make a copy of a backup tape, using the 2 tape recorders in IBM 3582 Tape Library We tried tu use "tcopy", it seems to work fine (no error messages) but we aren't sure if we can rely on it. my question is how to check if the copy succeded or not, but i also want to know... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fastlane3000
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copying tape-to-tape on UNIX

I am using a 4mm tape to backup my Unix system. However, I wanted to make a copy all of the files and archive headers (or just the archive headers if that's possible) created on one of my tapes to another 4mm tape. I only have one tape drive. Is there a command that will complete such task? ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: acoco
1 Replies
AMLABEL(8)						      System Manager's Manual							AMLABEL(8)

NAME
amlabel - label an Amanda tape SYNOPSIS
amlabel [-f] config label [ slot slot ] DESCRIPTION
All Amanda tapes must be pre-labeled before they are used. Amanda verifies the label in amdump and amflush before writing to make sure the proper tape is loaded. Amlabel writes an Amanda label on the tape in the device specified by the amanda.conf file in /etc/amanda/config. Label may be any string that does not contain whitespace and that matches the amanda.conf labelstr regular expression option. It is up to the system administrator to define a naming convention. Amlabel appends the new tape to the tapelist file so it will be used by Amanda before it reuses any other tapes. When you amlabel multiple tapes, they will be used in the order you amlabel them. Amlabel will not write the label if the tape contains an active Amanda tape or if the label specified is on an active tape. The -f (force) flag bypasses these verifications. An optional slot may be specified after the tape label. If a tape changer is in use, amlabel will label the tape in the specified slot instead of the currently loaded tape. See the amanda(8) man page for more details about Amanda. EXAMPLE
Write an Amanda label with the string "DMP000" on the tape loaded in the device named in the tapedev option in /etc/amanda/Daily- Set1/amanda.conf: % amlabel DailySet1 DMP000 Label the tape in slot 3 of the currently configured tape changer with the string "DMP003": % amlabel DailySet1 DMP003 slot 3 MESSAGES
label label doesn't match labelstr "str" Label label on the command line does not match the labelstr regular expression str from amanda.conf. label label already on a tape Label label is already listed as an active Amanda tape. no tpchanger specified in "path", so slot command invalid The command line has the slot parameter but the amanda.conf file in path does not have a tape changer configured. reading label label, tape is in another amanda configuration This tape appears to be a valid Amanda tape, but label does not match labelstr for this configuration so it is probably part of a different Amanda configuration. reading label label, tape is active Tape label appears to already be part of this Amanda configuration and active, i.e. has valid data on it. no label found, are you sure tape is non-rewinding? While checking that the label was written correctly, amlabel got an error that might be caused by mis-configuring Amanda with a rewinding tape device name instead of a non-rewinding device name for tape. AUTHOR
James da Silva <jds@cs.umd.edu> University of Maryland, College Park SEE ALSO
amanda(8) amdump(8) amflush(8) AMLABEL(8)