Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to select the shortest path in grep search? Post 302653705 by Scrutinizer on Sunday 10th of June 2012 02:07:00 AM
Old 06-10-2012
Try:
Code:
awk -F/ 'NR==1 || NF<m{m=NF; p=$0} END{print p}' infile

or
Code:
awk -F/ 'NR==1 || length<m{m=length; p=$0}END{print p}' infile

depending on what you mean with shortest path Smilie

--edit--
Actually we should count the sequences of non-slashes to find the least deepest path, so that we do not count leading, ending and double slashes ( leaving paths with ../ out of the equation Smilie )
Code:
awk 'NR==1 || gsub(/[^\/]+/,"&")<m{m=NF; p=$0} END{print p}' infile

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 06-10-2012 at 04:00 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Select records based on search criteria on first column

Hi All, I need to select only those records having a non zero record in the first column of a comma delimited file. Suppose my input file is having data like: "0","01/08/2005 07:11:15",1,1,"Created",,"01/08/2005" "0","01/08/2005 07:12:40",1,1,"Created",,"01/08/2005"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shashi_kiran_v
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to select the path that contains a certain string from a certain file?

Hi, I am new to this world of shell programming. I am facing a problem that is : I have directory which has many sub directories at different depth. say A/B/C/files A/B/files A/B/C/D/files In this directory structure there exists a file called ".project" in some of the sub... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhaskar_m
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

regex to select last part of a path

Hi all, I am learning the use of regular expression and I would like to know which regex can be used to select only the last part of a directory path name. Something like: /dir1/dir2/dir2 and I want to select the last /dir2 where dir2 can be any kind of string. Thanks a lot for your help.... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: elric
7 Replies

4. Programming

Implementing a shortest path algorithm in C

Hello, I have a question. I have to implement a shortest path algorithm in n*n grid, moving from one coordinate to another coordinate. But i have no clue how to start. Can anyone help? Thanks a tonn in advance! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mind@work
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

search & select text

hi people; from my file:... ... ... 101221-18:45:17 192.168.1.1 1.0 PortNodeModel ========================================================= Object Attribute Value ========================================================= SectorPort=3 switchport 20 SectorPort=1 switchport 10 SectorPort=2... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: gc_sw
12 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

SQLPlus Select with Grep

I m trying to grep 'select * from' from a script, but the problem is with the * ... I think its taking * as some special character ... when I try to do grep '*' test (test is my test file) its displaying * But when I am trying to do grep 'select * from' test its not showing anything... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: RDR
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to select First two directory in from path name?

Can somebody help me on below question I have path and i want to select first two directory name in variable how we can do this. /Myname/xyz/yourname/abc/somebodyname i want to select /Myname/xyz in variable. Quick help will be appriciated. Thanks in advance Regards, Kumar (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: yadavricky
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Select only line numbers using grep

Hai, I want to select only line numbers into a file if some pattern matches. I have written my script like below but its not working. #!/bin/sh file='/home/testfile1' filesearch='/home/test00' while read line do search=`echo $line |cut -c 1-24` echo $search echo `grep -n ""... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Subbu123
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shortest path for each query from a csv file

Hi all, I have this file __DATA__ child, Parent, probability, M7, Q, P, M7, M28, E, M28, M6, E, M6, Q, Pl, & several hundred lines..... Legends: P(= Probable) > Pl(=Plausible) > E(=Equivocal). What I want is for each child I want to trace it... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rushadrena
5 Replies

10. Homework & Coursework Questions

Need help how to search for shortest line from a file

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: I have to write a program that have to read every standard input then print out the line number and the content of... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: scopiop
10 Replies
ZGREP(1)                                                      General Commands Manual                                                     ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)