Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Please suggest alternative to grep Post 302652271 by niladri29 on Thursday 7th of June 2012 01:01:28 AM
Old 06-07-2012
Thanks Guru for your prompt response Smilie
But my 2nd file size is 15 GB, and the 1st file size is 5 GB. So just wanted to know can this proces be made faster.
I was also was wondering if the lines (as obtained from file2) can be arranged as per the search lines present in file1.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can you suggest a more efficient way for this?

Hi I have the following at the end of a service shutdown script used in part of an active-passive failover setup: ### # Shutdown all primary Network Interfaces # associated with failover ### # get interface names based on IP's # and shut them down to simulate loss of # heartbeatd ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mikie
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

suggest book

Hi I am new to Unix/Linux I know commands and shell scripts which are useful for my project. But i need to know the basics and commands and shell scripts in detail and easy guide. Please refer a book. Thanks Haripatn (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: haripatn
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep alternative to handle large numbers of files

I am looking for a file with 'MCR0000000716214' in it. I tried the following command: grep MCR0000000716214 * The problem is that the folder I am searching in has over 87000 files and I am getting the following: bash: /bin/grep: Arg list too long Is there any command I can use that can... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: runnerpaul
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Alternative to grep

How to find a particular line in a file without using grep? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need best grep option or alternative

Hello, I am processing a text file which contains only words with few combination of characters (it is a dictionary file). example: havana have haven haven't havilland havoc Is there a way to exclude only 1 to 8 character long words which not include space or special characters : '-`~.. so... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: alekkz
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

alternative to the grep trick

Hi, We used to use the below commands often. ps -ef|grep bc ps -ef|grep abc|grep -v grep Both fairly returns the same result. For example, the process name is dynamic and we are having the process name in a variable, how we can apply the above trick. For example "a" is the... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: pandeesh
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Alternative command to grep -w option

Hi All, We have few scripts where we are using grep -w option to do exact matching of the pattern. This works fine on most of our servers. But I have encounter a very old HP-UX System(HP-UX B.11.00) where grep -w option is not available. This is causing my scripts to fail. I need to change... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: veeresh_15
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with grep, or alternative

say I have a big list of something like: sdg2000 weghre10 fewg53 gwg99 jwegwejjwej43 afg10293 I want to remove the numbers of any line that has letters + 1 to 4 numbers output: sdg weghre fewg gwg jwegwejjwej afg10293 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siwon
7 Replies
DIFF(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   DIFF(1)

NAME
diff - differential file comparator SYNOPSIS
diff [ -efbh ] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
Diff tells what lines must be changed in two files to bring them into agreement. If file1 (file2) is `-', the standard input is used. If file1 (file2) is a directory, then a file in that directory whose file-name is the same as the file-name of file2 (file1) is used. The normal output contains lines of these forms: n1 a n3,n4 n1,n2 d n3 n1,n2 c n3,n4 These lines resemble ed commands to convert file1 into file2. The numbers after the letters pertain to file2. In fact, by exchanging `a' for `d' and reading backward one may ascertain equally how to convert file2 into file1. As in ed, identical pairs where n1 = n2 or n3 = n4 are abbreviated as a single number. Following each of these lines come all the lines that are affected in the first file flagged by `<', then all the lines that are affected in the second file flagged by `>'. The -b option causes trailing blanks (spaces and tabs) to be ignored and other strings of blanks to compare equal. The -e option produces a script of a, c and d commands for the editor ed, which will recreate file2 from file1. The -f option produces a similar script, not useful with ed, in the opposite order. In connection with -e, the following shell program may help maintain multiple versions of a file. Only an ancestral file ($1) and a chain of version-to-version ed scripts ($2,$3,...) made by diff need be on hand. A `latest version' appears on the standard output. (shift; cat $*; echo '1,$p') | ed - $1 Except in rare circumstances, diff finds a smallest sufficient set of file differences. Option -h does a fast, half-hearted job. It works only when changed stretches are short and well separated, but does work on files of unlimited length. Options -e and -f are unavailable with -h. FILES
/tmp/d????? /usr/lib/diffh for -h SEE ALSO
cmp(1), comm(1), ed(1) DIAGNOSTICS
Exit status is 0 for no differences, 1 for some, 2 for trouble. BUGS
Editing scripts produced under the -e or -f option are naive about creating lines consisting of a single `.'. DIFF(1)