Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Lost /etc/passwd file
Operating Systems Solaris Lost /etc/passwd file Post 302651361 by alvaradogunner on Tuesday 5th of June 2012 12:24:26 PM
Old 06-05-2012
Lost /etc/passwd file

Hello,

I'm trying to recover my /etc/passwd file, but I can't make it work. Im doing the following:

1. Booting from cd-rom:
Quote:
boot cdrom -s
2. Mounting hard disk drive
Quote:
# fsck -y /dev/dsk/c1t0d0s0
# mount /dev/dsk/c1t0d0s0 /a
3. Copying my passwd and shadow files to /a/etc/
Quote:
# cp /etc/passwd /a/etc/passwd
# cp /etc/shadow /a/etc/shadow
4. Unmounting Hard disk:
Quote:
# cd
# umount /a
5. Rebooting
Quote:
# reboot
6. Stopping my OS from booting ( by pressing Stop+A).

7. Booting with -s option
Quote:
{0} ok boot -s
The Next message appears:
Quote:
Type control -d to proceed with normal startup, ( or give root password for system maintenance).
Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

---------- Post updated at 11:24 AM ---------- Previous update was at 10:07 AM ----------

Ok I got it, but is there anyway to recover the /home directories of my users?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Lost Data Lost Admin

First time so excuse my ignorance please. I may not be accurately describing the issue. I have inherited a small lab mostly SUN V120s. We lost power and are trying to recover. Nope no backups... The primary issue I have is 1 box is an Oracle Server. It has 2 36Gb harddrives. I am able to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: murphsr
3 Replies

2. Cybersecurity

/etc/passwd file

hi Does anyone anyone know what the last line of a unix user passwd file signifes? Mine shows "+:::::" best (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: s_mad010
4 Replies

3. Solaris

Lost space on file system

Hi everybody, I got a problem on my SUN server in Solaris 9. I'll try to explain, if somebody could help me. I have mounted some volumes in RAID 0+1, that is stripped slices and then mirror. To be clear the result of metastat d80 is as follow : d80: Mirror Submirror 0: d81 State:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aribault
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

help in /etc/passwd file

Hi all, As all of us know that in /etc/passwd file the first field correspond to username could any one tell me what is bin , damoen etc in the first field, and r they in user field , what is nologin in the last column ? root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: useless79
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Lost file

I have another problem. I have a text file in which I had written a number of quotations to use in my paper. Luckily, I know that the file is somewhere in my ~/UnixCourse directory or in some subdirectory directly or indeirently within it. I also know that the file name ended in '.txt'. I know i... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: starwind4
1 Replies

6. Solaris

passwd cmd reenables passwd aging in shadow entry

Hi Folks, I have Solaris 10, latest release. We have passwd aging set in /etc/defalut/passwd. I have an account that passwd should never expire. Acheived by emptying associated users shadow file entries for passwd aging. When I reset the users passwd using passwd command, it re enables... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help with passwd file

Not an unix expert, I read a few pages on the web about passwd files, but I didn't find the answers I need about the last 8 lines of the passwd file I'm taking a look at. I'm assuming their shortcuts to another file that may have the actual usernames of users on the system. Please, any help... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fusion31
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding my lost file by searching for words in it

Got a question for you guys...I am searching through a public directory (that has tons of files) trying to find a file that I was working on a longggggg time ago. I can't remember what it is called, but I do remember the content. It should contains words like this: Joe Pulvo botnet zeus... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: statichazard
5 Replies

9. AIX

When did AIX start using /etc/security/passwd instead of /etc/passwd to store encrypted passwords?

Does anyone know when AIX started using /etc/security/passwd instead of /etc/passwd to store encrypted passwords? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Anne Neville
1 Replies
ppmtopgm(1)						      General Commands Manual						       ppmtopgm(1)

NAME
ppmtopgm - convert a portable pixmap into a portable graymap SYNOPSIS
ppmtopgm [ppmfile] DESCRIPTION
Reads a portable pixmap as input. Produces a portable graymap as output. The output is a "black and white" rendering of the original image, as in a black and white photograph. The quantization formula used is .299 r + .587 g + .114 b. Note that although there is a pgmtoppm program, it is not necessary for simple conversions from pgm to ppm , because any ppm program can read pgm (and pbm ) files automatically. pgmtoppm is for colorizing a pgm file. Also, see ppmtorgb3 for a different way of converting color to gray. And ppmdist generates a grayscale image from a color image, but in a way that makes it easy to differentiate the original colors, not necessarily a way that looks like a black and white photograph. QUOTE
Cold-hearted orb that rules the night Removes the colors from our sight Red is gray, and yellow white But we decide which is right And which is a quantization error. SEE ALSO
pgmtoppm(1),ppmtorgb3(1),rgb3toppm(1),ppmdist(1),ppm(5),pgm(5) AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 1989 by Jef Poskanzer. 10 April 2000 ppmtopgm(1)