Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Passing date into awk...
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Passing date into awk... Post 302650283 by Nithz on Saturday 2nd of June 2012 06:25:28 AM
Old 06-02-2012
Passing date into awk...

Hi All....

I need to pass date into awk and parse logfile based on that.... i used both awk and /usr/xpg4/bin/awk... both are throwing up error.....

So here is the stuff...

when i use /usr/xpg4/bin/awk :
Code:
DATE=`date '+%Y %b %d'`
START=00
END=23
/usr/xpg4/bin/awk -v DATE={"$DATE"} -v START=$START -v END=$END '/DATE START/,/DATE END/' logfile.log  > processfile.txt

Error :

Code:
/usr/xpg4/bin/awk: inadmissible use of reserved keyword  Context is:
>>>     {2010 Jan 02}1023       <<<

when i use awk:

Code:
DATE=`date '+%Y %b %d'`
START=00
END=23
awk -v DATE={"$DATE"} -v START=$START -v END=$END '/DATE START/,/DATE END/' logfile.log  > processfile.txt

Error:
Code:
awk: syntax error near line 1
awk: bailing out near line 1

Can anyone think of y this error is happening??? How to finally pass date into awk???

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 06-02-2012 at 07:46 AM.. Reason: code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing Date as parameter with sh script

Hi I need to pass a date argument with my shell script. Can any one send me code for the same. eg For 15th Aug 2006. Iwant to pass parameter like this ./startenv.sh 08/15/2006. Everyday date argument must change. Will the below code work ? ./startenv.sh date '+%m/%d/%y' THanks... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pankajkrmishra
1 Replies

2. Solaris

passing an input parameter like date thru jcl using BPXBATCH utility

Hi.... i need to pass the dates (from - to) as the input parameters thru jcl invoking BPXBATCH utility. I know that PARM will do the above functionality. But how the above dates passed through jcl will be linked in the java-db2 program to be used in sql queries in order to generate the report... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sujatha Gowda
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing date parameter in cronjob

Hi All, I have a crontab entry for every 5 min running. 5 * * * * /tmp/scripts/ksh/CsVues_H.sh `date +%Y%m%d_%H` >> /tmp/scripts/ksh/Cronresult.log and I am passing the date parameter. ( `date +%Y%m%d_%H` ) But the parameter values which i am expecting inside the script is... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: scorpio
6 Replies

4. Solaris

SFTP passing variables date

Hi, Anyone can help me on how to solve my problem not getting the actual $DATE saying . Here my scripts; #!/bin/sh DATE='20110331' sftp -oUserKnownHostsFile=/.ssh/known_hosts -oIdentityFile=/.ssh/id_rsa -b /source/transfer.sh server1@sftp.com <<EOF #tranfer.sh put... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fspalero
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing CURL a date argument (formatting)

Im trying to pass curl a list of arguments... one of which is a date... When I run from the command line it works fine but when i try to run the same from a script passing variables it reformats the date for some reason and doesn't work. Example: curlstring=xxxxxxxxxxx.xxx.xxx:8090/csv/... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: atelford
1 Replies

6. UNIX and Linux Applications

Passing date parameter on Kshell command line

I need to execute a .ksh from command line. The ksh calls a control file and has 3 parameters. First parameter is a csv file, second the target table in oracle and third parameter is a date parameter. I am attempting the below from the ksh command line {code} => testfile.ksh filname.csv... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kobe24
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh passing to awk multiple dyanamic variables awk -v

Using ksh to call a function which has awk script embedded. It parses a long two element list file, filled with text numbers (I want column 2, beginning no sooner than line 45, that's the only known thing) . It's unknown where to start or end the data collection, dynamic variables will be used. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: highnthemnts
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

passing grepped date var into code

Hi Everyone, I am a bit new at learning this bash syntax. I have a problem at work that needs to be addressed. We find we are spending quite a bit of time killing old processes created by oracle replication that have been restarted later in the week. Because the replication takes time to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bdby
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing awk variable argument to a script which is being called inside awk

consider the script below sh /opt/hqe/hqapi1-client-5.0.0/bin/hqapi.sh alert list --host=localhost --port=7443 --user=hqadmin --password=hqadmin --secure=true >/tmp/alerts.xml awk -F'' '{for(i=1;i<=NF;i++){ if($i=="Alert id") { if(id!="") if(dt!=""){ cmd="sh someScript.sh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk programming -Passing variable to awk for loop

Hi All, I am new to AWK programming. I have the following for loop in my awk program. cat printhtml.awk: BEGIN -------- <some code here> END{ ----------<some code here> for(N=0; N<H; N++) { for(M=5; M<D; M++) print "\t" D ""; } ----- } ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ctrld
2 Replies
largefile(5)                                            Standards, Environments, and Macros                                           largefile(5)

NAME
largefile - large file status of utilities DESCRIPTION
A large file is a regular file whose size is greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2**31 bytes). A small file is a regular file whose size is less than 2 Gbyte. Large file aware utilities A utility is called large file aware if it can process large files in the same manner as it does small files. A utility that is large file aware is able to handle large files as input and generate as output large files that are being processed. The exception is where additional files are used as system configuration files or support files that can augment the processing. For example, the file utility supports the -m option for an alternative "magic" file and the -f option for a support file that can contain a list of file names. It is unspecified whether a utility that is large file aware will accept configuration or support files that are large files. If a large file aware utility does not accept configuration or support files that are large files, it will cause no data loss or corruption upon encountering such files and will return an appropriate error. The following /usr/bin utilities are large file aware: adb awk bdiff cat chgrp chmod chown cksum cmp compress cp csh csplit cut dd dircmp du egrep fgrep file find ftp getconf grep gzip head join jsh ksh ln ls mdb mkdir mkfifo more mv nawk page paste pathchck pg rcp remsh rksh rm rmdir rsh sed sh sort split sum tail tar tee test touch tr uncompress uudecode uuencode wc zcat The following /usr/xpg4/bin utilities are large file aware: awk cp chgrp chown du egrep fgrep file grep ln ls more mv rm sed sh sort tail tr The following /usr/xpg6/bin utilities are large file aware: getconf ls tr The following /usr/sbin utilities are large file aware: install mkfile mknod mvdir swap See the USAGE section of the swap(1M) manual page for limitations of swap on block devices greater than 2 Gbyte on a 32-bit operating sys- tem. The following /usr/ucb utilities are large file aware: chown from ln ls sed sum touch The /usr/bin/cpio and /usr/bin/pax utilities are large file aware, but cannot archive a file whose size exceeds 8 Gbyte - 1 byte. The /usr/bin/truss utilities has been modified to read a dump file and display information relevant to large files, such as offsets. cachefs file systems The following /usr/bin utilities are large file aware for cachefs file systems: cachefspack cachefsstat The following /usr/sbin utilities are large file aware for cachefs file systems: cachefslog cachefswssize cfsadmin fsck mount umount nfs file systems The following utilities are large file aware for nfs file systems: /usr/lib/autofs/automountd /usr/sbin/mount /usr/lib/nfs/rquotad ufs file systems The following /usr/bin utility is large file aware for ufs file systems: df The following /usr/lib/nfs utility is large file aware for ufs file systems: rquotad The following /usr/xpg4/bin utility is large file aware for ufs file systems: df The following /usr/sbin utilities are large file aware for ufs file systems: clri dcopy edquota ff fsck fsdb fsirand fstyp labelit lockfs mkfs mount ncheck newfs quot quota quotacheck quotaoff quotaon repquota tunefs ufsdump ufsrestore umount Large file safe utilities A utility is called large file safe if it causes no data loss or corruption when it encounters a large file. A utility that is large file safe is unable to process properly a large file, but returns an appropriate error. The following /usr/bin utilities are large file safe: audioconvert audioplay audiorecord comm diff diff3 diffmk ed lp mail mailcompat mailstats mailx pack pcat red rmail sdiff unpack vi view The following /usr/xpg4/bin utilities are large file safe: ed vi view The following /usr/xpg6/bin utility is large file safe: ed The following /usr/sbin utilities are large file safe: lpfilter lpforms The following /usr/ucb utilities are large file safe: Mail lpr The following /usr/lib utility is large file safe: sendmail SEE ALSO
lf64(5), lfcompile(5), lfcompile64(5) SunOS 5.10 7 Nov 2003 largefile(5)