Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Necessity of shebang line
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Necessity of shebang line Post 302649409 by gary_w on Thursday 31st of May 2012 09:50:23 AM
Old 05-31-2012
Interesting to note that if the script starts with "#!", the login shell uses what follows as the command to run followed by the name of the file itself. The command does not have to be a shell.

Given a file called x:
Code:
#!/bin/ls -l

print "Uh oh, Chongo!"

The login shell will run:
Code:
/bin/ls -l x

Output:
Code:
$ x
-rwxrwx--x   1 user group           37 May 31 09:47 x
$

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shebang

Hi, I am currently writing BASH shell scripts. I am using BASH on a Powerbook G4 running Leopard. Could somebody please explain the difference between #!/bin/bash and #!/bin/sh? I have been using the latter (#!/bin/sh), and things have been working fine. But is that the correct one to use... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: msb65
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Doubt in shebang line!!

Do we need to include the exclamatory mark in the shebang line??:confused: What if we dont include it??:eek: Actually what shebang line implies when we run a script?? shebang line--> #!/bin/ksh :p (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nohup
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Relacing the shebang line of a file

Can any one tell me how to replace a shebang line of a file using sed? Eg: If a file contains the following shebang line #!C:/InstantRails/ruby/bin/ruby I would like to replace it with #!/usr/local/bin/ruby The shebang line of the file can be obtained from the command cat... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxnewbe
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple shebang lines

*** EDIT: I found something close to my solution under an IIS 7 Module Handle.***** (Non-Homework question, simply an ease of use one) Odd question here and maybe its my newness to cgi/Perl, but is it possible to have 2 shebang lines? I write an test a ton of my homework code on my windows... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sennex
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

The Shebang!

Hi, I always thought that #!/usr/bin/ksh means that the script would be executed in korn shell i.e. when we'll execute the script with this line as the very first line then the shell spawns a korn shell (in this case as we are using #!/usr/bin/ksh ) and the script gets executed. But I am... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dips_ag
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shebang

If i am not using #! in my script. By default where will be my script running? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kochu77
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

csh shebang query

What does the "-f" mean in following interpreter code #!/bin/csh -f Thank you (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: animesharma
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Scripts without shebang

I see lot of ad-hoc shell scripts in our servers which don't have a shebang at the beginning . Does this mean that it will run on any shell ? Is it a good practice to create scripts (even ad-hoc ones) without shebang ? (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: kraljic
16 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Question about Shebang line of Bash Script

Hello All, I was writing a Bash shell script that will be executed on both an AIX server (/usr/bin/ksh) and a SLES server (/bin/bash). The AIX server has Bash installed at "/usr/bin/bash", which is in a different dir then the SLES server. So basically I am writing the script on the SLES... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrm5102
4 Replies
IRSEND(1)								FSF								 IRSEND(1)

NAME
irsend - basic LIRC program to send infra-red commands SYNOPSIS
irsend [options] DIRECTIVE REMOTE CODE [CODE...] DESCRIPTION
Asks the lircd daemon to send one or more CIR (Consumer Infra-Red) commands. This is intended for remote control of electronic devices such as TV boxes, HiFi sets, etc. DIRECTIVE can be: SEND_ONCE - send CODE [CODE ...] once SEND_START - start repeating CODE SEND_STOP - stop repeating CODE LIST - list configured remote items SET_TRANSMITTERS - set transmitters NUM [NUM ...] SIMULATE - simulate IR event REMOTE is the name of a remote, as described in the lircd configuration file. CODE is the name of a remote control key of REMOTE, as it appears in the lircd configuration file. NUM is the transmitter number of the hardware device. For the LIST DIRECTIVE, REMOTE and/or CODE can be empty: LIST "" "" - list all configured remote names LIST REMOTE "" - list all codes of REMOTE LIST REMOTE CODE - list only CODE of REMOTE The SIMULATE command only works if it has been explicitly enabled in lircd. -h --help display usage summary -v --version display version -d --device use given lircd socket [/var/run/lirc/lircd] -a --address=host[:port] connect to lircd at this address -# --count=n send command n times EXAMPLES
irsend LIST DenonTuner "" irsend SEND_ONCE DenonTuner PROG-SCAN irsend SEND_ONCE OnkyoAmpli VOL-UP VOL-UP VOL-UP VOL-UP irsend SEND_START OnkyoAmpli VOL-DOWN ; sleep 3 irsend SEND_STOP OnkyoAmpli VOL-DOWN irsend SET_TRANSMITTERS 1 irsend SET_TRANSMITTERS 1 3 4 irsend SIMULATE "0000000000000476 00 OK TECHNISAT_ST3004S" FILES
/etc/lirc/lircd.conf Default lircd configuration file. It should contain all the remotes, their infra-red codes and the corresponding timing and wave- form details. DIAGNOSTICS
If lircd is not running (or /var/run/lirc/lircd lacks write permissions) irsend aborts with the following diagnostics: "irsend: could not connect to socket" "irsend: Connection refused" (or "Permission denied"). SEE ALSO
The documentation for lirc is maintained as html pages. They are located under html/ in the documentation directory. lircd(8), mode2(1), smode2(1), xmode2(1), irrecord(1), irw(1), http://www.lirc.org. irsend 0.8.7pre1 May 2010 IRSEND(1)