Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting need to grep contents of a file within specific time span. regex i am using is not working Post 302648681 by Scrutinizer on Wednesday 30th of May 2012 08:41:37 AM
Old 05-30-2012
Try:
Code:
/usr/xpg4/bin/grep -E '^May 29 15:([01]|2[0-3])' /var/adm/messages

This User Gave Thanks to Scrutinizer For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading specific contents from a file and appending it to another file

Hi, I need to write a shell script (ksh) to read contents starting at a specific location from one file and append the contents at specific location in another file. Please find below the contents of the source file that I need to read the contents from, File 1 -----# more... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dnicky
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - print file contents except regex

Hello, I have a file which has user information. Each user has 2 variables with the same name like Email: testuser1 Email: testuser1@test.com Email: testuser2 Email: testuser2@test.com My intention is to delete the ones without the '@' symbol. When I run this statement awk '/^Email:/&&!/@/'... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rmsagar
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash copy file contents into an existing file at a specific location

Hi all I need to copy the entire contents of one file into an existing file at a specific location. I know the exact line number where I need to put it. It appears I would use either sed or awk to do this, but I have been unsuccessful so far: File A line 1 line 2 line 3 line 4 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gshepherd7
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extracting a Time Span from Syslog Messages File

Hi all, I need your help to explain how I can extract a time span from the syslog messages file on a Solaris 10 system. Here is an example extract of the syslog messages: Dec 4 11:51:38 hajap141-0107.nls.jlrint.com 267938: Dec 4 11:51:36: %DOT11-6-DISASSOC: Interface Dot11Radio0,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wthomas
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace specific contents in a file?

From the existing file, I need to replace specific contents possibly with var every time when the user changes the var. e.g the contents in the file file.txt is 'My name is $n and I am $y years old' and every time user changed the var outside the file, the contents of the file should be created... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Emilywu
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

select the lines in between some time span

Hi Everyone ! i want to take all the lines from a file that falls in between some date... and every line in a file has a time stamp.. ---some text---- 01/Jan/2010 ---- some other text ---- ---some text---- 10/Jan/2010 ---- some other text ---- ---some text---- 20/Dec/2010 ---- some... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: me_newbie
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Looping/Reading file contents not working

Hi, I am doing something basic, but I am missing something. Im trying to read the contents of a file and taking those values and connecting to a database. However, it only connect to one (or reads in) value and then exists. Here is what it looks like: listname.txt db1 db2 db3 Script:... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: DBnixUser
15 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to place specific contents filename within text file

I am trying to use awk to place the contens of a filename in $1 and $2 followed by the data in the text file. Basically, put the filename within the text file. There are over 1000 files in the directory and as of now each file is saved with a unique name but it is not within the file. Thank you... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
10 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Total size utilizes by the files older than a time span

Through find command I identified the files older that 1 year. I need the overall size utilizes by these 1 year older files. Please share me the command to identify it .Thanks Please post in an adequate technical forum! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sang
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep a log file starting from a specific time to the end of file

I have a log file which have a date and time at the start of every line. I need to search the log file starting from a specific time to the end of file. For example: Starting point: July 29 2018 21:00:00 End point : end of file My concern is what if the pattern of `July 29 2018 21:00:00`... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: erin00
3 Replies
tracker-extract(1)						   User Commands						tracker-extract(1)

NAME
tracker-extract - Extract metadata from a file. SYNOPSYS
tracker-extract [OPTION...] FILE... DESCRIPTION
tracker-extract reads the file and mimetype provided in stdin and extract the metadata from this file; then it displays the metadata on the standard output. NOTE: If a FILE is not provided then tracker-extract will run for 30 seconds waiting for DBus calls before quitting. OPTIONS
-?, --help Show summary of options. -v, --verbosity=N Set verbosity to N. This overrides the config value. Values include 0=errors, 1=minimal, 2=detailed and 3=debug. -f, --file=FILE The FILE to extract metadata from. The FILE argument can be either a local path or a URI. It also does not have to be an absolute path. -m, --mime=MIME The MIME type to use for the file. If one is not provided, it will be guessed automatically. -d, --disable-shutdown Disable shutting down after 30 seconds of inactivity. -i, --force-internal-extractors Use this option to force internal extractors over 3rd parties like libstreamanalyzer. -m, --force-module=MODULE Force a particular module to be used. This is here as a convenience for developers wanting to test their MODULE file. Only the MOD- ULE name has to be specified, not the full path. Typically, a MODULE is installed to /usr/lib/tracker-0.7/extract-modules/. This option can be used with or without the .so part of the name too, for example, you can use --force-module=foo Modules are shared objects which are dynamically loaded at run time. These files must have the .so suffix to be loaded and must con- tain the correct symbols to be authenticated by tracker-extract. For more information see the libtracker-extract reference documen- tation. -V, --version Show binary version. EXAMPLES
Using command line to extract metadata from a file: $ tracker-extract -v 3 -f /path/to/some/file.mp3 Using a specific module to extract metadata from a file: $ tracker-extract -v 3 -f /path/to/some/file.mp3 -m mymodule ENVIRONMENT
TRACKER_EXTRACTORS_DIR This is the directory which tracker uses to load the shared libraries from (used for extracting metadata for specific file types). These are needed on each invocation of tracker-store. If unset it will default to the correct place. This is used mainly for testing purposes. FILES
$HOME/.config/tracker/tracker-extract.cfg SEE ALSO
tracker-store(1), tracker-sparql(1), tracker-stats(1), tracker-info(1). tracker-extract.cfg(5). /usr/lib/tracker-0.7/extract-modules/ GNU
July 2007 tracker-extract(1)