Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Deleting particular files with a numerical suffix Post 302647927 by summer_cherry on Tuesday 29th of May 2012 05:30:37 AM
Old 05-29-2012
shell

Code:
for i in *;do num=${i#filename_}; if [ $num -gt 10000 ];then rm $i; fi; done

Last edited by Franklin52; 05-29-2012 at 06:31 AM.. Reason: code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Listing files in numerical order

Hi, I'm trying to write a ksh script to copy a specified number of files from one directory to another. The files are named in the convention <switchname>_log.<num> and the numbers are sequential single digit onwards. I figured I could find some parameter for ls which would list the files in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Steve_H
3 Replies

2. Programming

Adding files of numerical data

Hi I was hoping that maybe someone could help me with a small piece of C code. I have a number of files, which are all of similar layout ie. three lines of text and 5-6 columns of numerical data. I need to add each of the elements of the second column in one file to their counterparts in the second... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: Boucho
17 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to rename multiple files with a common suffix

Hi, There are multiple files like file1_11 file2_11 file3_11.....and so on. How to rename them such tht the suffix _11 is removed and they become file1, file2, file3. Any help is appreciated. Regards er_ashu (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: er_ashu
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

compare files by numerical value

Hi everyone, I would love to have a script that does the following: I have one file that looks like that: ATOM 1 BB SER 1 1 -31.958 -25.125 -11.061 1.00 0.00 ATOM 3 BB GLY 1 2 -32.079 -26.085 -14.466 1.00 0.00 ATOM 4 BB VAL 1 3 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: s-layer
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to find files not suffix with .c

if I want to search those files which were suffix with .c, I can use find ./ -name *.c but how to find out those files which were not suffix with .c ?? Thanks a lot! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cqlouis
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

deleting files based on the suffix

how do we delete files based on the suffix??? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saggiboy10
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

List files according to the numerical value

Hi, I have a large number of files which are named as follows. VF_50, VF_100, VF_150, VF_250, VF_300, VF_350, VF_400, VF_450, VF_500. When I do an 'ls' it arranges the files in the following way VF_100, VF_150, VF_250, VF_300, VF_350, VF_400, VF_450, VF_50, VF_500. Is there a way to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lost.identity
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming multiple files at once (discarding suffix of the filename after a character)

Hi, I have a lot of files similar to the below order. I want to rename all the files .discrading the time stamp/numbers after cnf. Existing files id_info_20130405.cnf_20130801 in_info_20130405.cnf_20130891 iz_info_20130405.cnf_20130821 in_info_20130405.cnf_20130818... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saravanapandi
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding all files w/ suffix on the system

I am trying to build a list of all files ending in *.cbl in the system, but when I try find / -name *.cbl, I only find one specific file name that is alphabetically first. Is there something I'm missing? TIA ---------- Post updated at 11:20 AM ---------- Previous update was at 11:15 AM... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wbport
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move files with a certain suffix based on how many files are in another folder

Hello, First time poster. I am looking for a way to script or program the process of moving files from one folder to another, automatically, based on the count of files in the destination folder. I was thinking a shell script would work, but am open to the suggestions of the experts... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: comtech
6 Replies
lndir(1X)																 lndir(1X)

NAME
lndir - create a shadow directory of symbolic links to another directory tree SYNOPSIS
lndir fromdir [todir] DESCRIPTION
lndir makes a shadow copy todir of a directory tree fromdir, except that the shadow is not populated with real files but instead with sym- bolic links pointing at the real files in the fromdir directory tree. This is usually useful for maintaining source code for different machine architectures. You create a shadow directory containing links to the real source which you will have usually NFS mounted from a machine of a different architecture, and then recompile it. The object files will be in the shadow directory, while the source files in the shadow directory are just symlinks to the real files. This has the advantage that if you update the source, you need not propagate the change to the other architectures by hand, since all source in shadow directories are symlinks to the real thing: just cd to the shadow directory and recompile. The todir argument is optional and defaults to the current directory. The fromdir argument may be relative (e.g., ../src) and is relative to todir (not the current directory). Note that RCS, SCCS, and CVS.adm directories are not shadowed. Note also that if you add files, you must run lndir again. Deleting files is difficult because the symlinks will point to places that no longer exist. BUGS
The patch routine needs to be able to change the files. You should never run patch from a shadow directory. Use a command like the following to clear out all files before you can relink (if the fromdir has been moved, for instance): find todir -type l -print | xargs rm The following command will find all files that are not directories: find . ! -type d -print lndir(1X)