Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Grep filtering issue
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Grep filtering issue Post 302647547 by mohtashims on Monday 28th of May 2012 10:17:47 AM
Old 05-28-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrutinizer
This is the wrong syntax for grep. Try:
Code:
grep -i interfaces

Otherwise, what are you trying to achieve?
I am just trying to grep with a generic term and not the whole server name as i remember not.

Anyways, your suggestion works.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed filtering issue

The problem I have is that I have 23,000 records I need to sort through to pull out LEN: XXXX XX XX XX XX and NCOS: XXX entries from so I can insert them into a database. But some of my records include TYPE: ISDN, THE DN IS UNASSIGNED, or INVALID entries in between some records and I would like... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: roachmmflhyr
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Report filtering - Weird issue and interesting - UrgentPlease

Hi, Could any one help me to extract data from a report. I would like to get the two lines which are just below the separations I have a report like this -------------------------------------------------------------------------- Pid Command Inuse Pin Pgsp Virtual... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajilesh
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue Filtering Tail

Hi Folks, I have a log that contains data as shown below: 11:59:43,144 (1,850) Signal : .... 11:59:44,109 (1850) Bps : ..... I wish to remove "" from all lines and it is on the start of every line. I have achieved that successfully using the command: tail -f imp.log | sed 's/\... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: umairrahman
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep filtering problem

I'm working on writing a shell script that logs out whenever I have a firefox process running during certain times of the day (1 am - 8 am). I'll put it in crontab when it runs properly unless someone knows of a different and better way to do this. Here it is so far. if ps ax | grep... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with filtering trace file through grep

Hi, I am using NS2 and i need to filter a trace file (part of which is shown below): - 33.91576 2 3 tcp 1040 ------- 1 0.0 4.0 1115 2258 r 33.918907 4 3 ack 40 ------- 1 4.0 0.0 1107 2272 + 33.918907 3 2 ack 40 ------- 1 4.0 0.0 1107 2272 - 33.918907 3 2 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: saqibshah
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep issue

The below command is not working stackmem="$(pmap $1 | grep -i '' | awk '{print $2}'| tr -d ' K')" I need to grep strictly for ----> Regards, Mohtashim (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

filtering awk not using grep

hallow all i have question about awk i want indexing last key (in BOLD number) ex: input.txt 1 252468812 52468812 1281268819 1252468812 1252468923 468812 1252468812 so output will like this output text 1:252468812 2:52468812 4:1252468812 6:468812 7:1252468812 output get... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: zvtral
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue with grep

Hi there, I need to grep out 1 line of a changing file. Any help would be much appreciated. code: xterm -hold -e tail -f /var/lib/dhcp3/dhcpd.leases | grep client-hostname &>/dev/null & The trouble is it shows the contents of the entire lease file. I just want to show the line... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: digitalviking
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue with grep

Hello, I have an input file that looks like so: LDLR LDLRAD4 VLDLR when I grep "LDLR" I get an output of: LDLR LDLRAD4 VLDLR Since all names have "LDLR" included within them, but all I want the output to be is LDLR I know it can work if I surround the words with pipes for... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rabu
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Issue with Grep

Hi guys, Hope someone can help me with this - I'm sure it's fairly simple but it's driving me mad! (forgive the coding - still new on scripting - come from Windows) I have the following coding for checking whether I want to include a line in a file:- EXTRACT_Date=$(date --date="${PERIOD}"... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: NickF
6 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)