Sponsored Content
Special Forums UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers Problem in sorting a text file Post 302647167 by drl on Sunday 27th of May 2012 11:43:47 PM
Old 05-28-2012
Hi.

For complex ordering tasks I often use the nonstandard utility msort:
Code:
#!/usr/bin/env bash

# @(#) s1	Demonstrate hybrid ordering of fields, msort.
# See: http://freshmeat.net/projects/msort

pe() { for _i;do printf "%s" "$_i";done; printf "\n"; }
pl() { pe;pe "-----" ;pe "$*"; }
db() { ( printf " db, ";for _i;do printf "%s" "$_i";done;printf "\n" ) >&2 ; }
db() { : ; }
C=$HOME/bin/context && [ -f $C ] && $C msort

FILE=${1-data1}

pl " Input data file $FILE:"
cat $FILE

pl " Results of msort, hybrid ordering:"
msort -q --line --position 1,1 --comparison-type hybrid -- data1

exit 0

producing:
Code:
% ./s1

Environment: LC_ALL = C, LANG = C
(Versions displayed with local utility "version")
OS, ker|rel, machine: Linux, 2.6.26-2-amd64, x86_64
Distribution        : Debian GNU/Linux 5.0.8 (lenny) 
bash GNU bash 3.2.39
msort 8.44

-----
 Input data file data1:
b2
a1
b1
A1
y
m
x
M
X
Y

-----
 Results of msort, hybrid ordering:
A1
M
X
Y
a1
b1
b2
m
x
y

The msort utility was in the Debian repository for my system. See the URL noted in the script for other options.

Best wishes ... cheers, drl

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem in sorting the file

file format is word filename no.of occurances ------------------------------ wish f3.txt 2 wish f2.txt 1 cold f1.txt 5 cold f2.txt 3 cold f1.txt 3 cold e.txt 3 gold f1.txt 7 gold f3.txt 3 rush e.txt 2 itz abt building a search index for every word in the files given as input the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vishnu_vaka
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting rules on a text section

Hi all My text file looks like this: start doc ... (certain number of records) REC3|Emma|info| REC3|Lukas|info| REC3|Arthur|info| ... (certain number of records) end doc start doc ... (certain number of records)... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Indalecio
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk error in sorting text file

Hi Having a file as below file.txt error Server Network Name Dept Date Time =========================================================================================================================== 0 ServerA LAN1 AAA IT01 04/30/2008 09:16:26 0 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikn7974
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sorting files with find command before sending to text file

i need help with my script.... i am suppose to grab files within a certain date range now i have done that already using the touch and find command (found them in other threads) touch -d "$date_start" ./tmp1 touch -d "$date_end" ./tmp2 find "$data_location" -maxdepth 1 -newer ./tmp1 !... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: deking
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting a text file

In unix how to sort in reverse order based on second field in a text file. $ cat data1 David:501 Albie:503 Shaun:502 The expected output: Albie:503 Shaun:502 David:501 Please help :) (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jon2ryhme
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sorting file with columns (problem)

Hi all! I am new to Unix programming so bare with me please :). I have saved the output of my results in a file called testfile which contains 3 columns a 15 rows. e.g. 175 754 abvd 948 454 fewf 43 754 fewc 6 734 feww xxx xxx xxxx I want to sort the contents of this file... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: daelas
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Chemistry problem- File matching and Sorting!!!

Dear Programmers I have a file called ranking.txt, in which I have 4 chemical compounds in *.sdf file format named ligands_m1, ligands_m2, ligands_m3, ligands_m4. Each compounds is assigned with a particular score along with the file location. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: robertselwyne
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sorting based on a specified column in a text file

I have a tab delimited file with 5 columns 79 A B 20.2340 6.1488 8.5086 1.3838 87 A B 0.1310 0.0382 0.0054 0.1413 88 A B 46.1651 99.0000 21.8107 0.2203 89 A B 0.1400 0.1132 0.0151 0.1334 114 A B 0.1088 0.0522 0.0057 0.1083 115 A B... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lucky Ali
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting indented text files

Hello, I'm trying to find a solution or a proper tool for the following job: I need to sort a text document with indented sections, so all levels of indentation are sorted independently for each section. Particularly, I need this for Cisco routers' running config files to compare them with... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kobel
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting a text file with respect to Function/Keyword

Hello Experts, I am truly a beginner in shell and perl . Need an urgent help with sorting a file. please help. wouldn't mind whether in perl or shell script. Here are the details. ------------------------------------------------------ Input Text file EX:... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: pradyumnajpn10
9 Replies
PM-IS-SUPPORTED(1)					       pm-utils User Manual						PM-IS-SUPPORTED(1)

NAME
pm-is-supported - Test whether suspend or hibernate is supported. SYNOPSIS
pm-is-supported [{--suspend | --hibernate | --suspend-hybrid}] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly the pm-is-supported command. The intended purpose of pm-is-supported is to find out which power management modes are supported by the system. hald(8) will call it to do just that. (Note that UPower does not use this.) OPTIONS
--suspend Test whether suspend is supported. Suspend is a state where most devices are shutdown, except for RAM. This state still draws power. --hibernate Test whether hibernate is supported. During hibernate the state of the system is saved to disk, the system is fully powered off. --suspend-hybrid Test whether hybrid-suspend is supported. Hybrid-suspend is the process where first the state of the system is saved to disk -- just like with hibernate -- but instead of poweroff, the system goes in suspend state, which means it can wakeup quicker than for normal hibernation. The advantage over suspend is that you can resume even if you run out of power. s2both is a hybrid-suspend implementation. RETURN VALUE
The result of the test for a certain powermanagement state is defined by the following exit codes. Code Diagnostic 0 State available. 1 State NOT available. SEE ALSO
hald(8), pm-suspend(8), s2both(8), UPower(7) AUTHOR
Tim Dijkstra <tim@famdijkstra.org> Manpage author. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2007 Tim Dijkstra This manual page was originally written for the Debian(TM) system, and has been adopted by the pm-utils project. Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU General Public License, Version 2 or (at your option) any later version published by the Free Software Foundation. pm-is-supported Apr 18, 2007 PM-IS-SUPPORTED(1)