Sponsored Content
Special Forums UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers Problem in sorting a text file Post 302647167 by drl on Sunday 27th of May 2012 11:43:47 PM
Old 05-28-2012
Hi.

For complex ordering tasks I often use the nonstandard utility msort:
Code:
#!/usr/bin/env bash

# @(#) s1	Demonstrate hybrid ordering of fields, msort.
# See: http://freshmeat.net/projects/msort

pe() { for _i;do printf "%s" "$_i";done; printf "\n"; }
pl() { pe;pe "-----" ;pe "$*"; }
db() { ( printf " db, ";for _i;do printf "%s" "$_i";done;printf "\n" ) >&2 ; }
db() { : ; }
C=$HOME/bin/context && [ -f $C ] && $C msort

FILE=${1-data1}

pl " Input data file $FILE:"
cat $FILE

pl " Results of msort, hybrid ordering:"
msort -q --line --position 1,1 --comparison-type hybrid -- data1

exit 0

producing:
Code:
% ./s1

Environment: LC_ALL = C, LANG = C
(Versions displayed with local utility "version")
OS, ker|rel, machine: Linux, 2.6.26-2-amd64, x86_64
Distribution        : Debian GNU/Linux 5.0.8 (lenny) 
bash GNU bash 3.2.39
msort 8.44

-----
 Input data file data1:
b2
a1
b1
A1
y
m
x
M
X
Y

-----
 Results of msort, hybrid ordering:
A1
M
X
Y
a1
b1
b2
m
x
y

The msort utility was in the Debian repository for my system. See the URL noted in the script for other options.

Best wishes ... cheers, drl

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem in sorting the file

file format is word filename no.of occurances ------------------------------ wish f3.txt 2 wish f2.txt 1 cold f1.txt 5 cold f2.txt 3 cold f1.txt 3 cold e.txt 3 gold f1.txt 7 gold f3.txt 3 rush e.txt 2 itz abt building a search index for every word in the files given as input the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vishnu_vaka
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting rules on a text section

Hi all My text file looks like this: start doc ... (certain number of records) REC3|Emma|info| REC3|Lukas|info| REC3|Arthur|info| ... (certain number of records) end doc start doc ... (certain number of records)... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Indalecio
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk error in sorting text file

Hi Having a file as below file.txt error Server Network Name Dept Date Time =========================================================================================================================== 0 ServerA LAN1 AAA IT01 04/30/2008 09:16:26 0 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikn7974
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sorting files with find command before sending to text file

i need help with my script.... i am suppose to grab files within a certain date range now i have done that already using the touch and find command (found them in other threads) touch -d "$date_start" ./tmp1 touch -d "$date_end" ./tmp2 find "$data_location" -maxdepth 1 -newer ./tmp1 !... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: deking
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting a text file

In unix how to sort in reverse order based on second field in a text file. $ cat data1 David:501 Albie:503 Shaun:502 The expected output: Albie:503 Shaun:502 David:501 Please help :) (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jon2ryhme
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sorting file with columns (problem)

Hi all! I am new to Unix programming so bare with me please :). I have saved the output of my results in a file called testfile which contains 3 columns a 15 rows. e.g. 175 754 abvd 948 454 fewf 43 754 fewc 6 734 feww xxx xxx xxxx I want to sort the contents of this file... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: daelas
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Chemistry problem- File matching and Sorting!!!

Dear Programmers I have a file called ranking.txt, in which I have 4 chemical compounds in *.sdf file format named ligands_m1, ligands_m2, ligands_m3, ligands_m4. Each compounds is assigned with a particular score along with the file location. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: robertselwyne
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sorting based on a specified column in a text file

I have a tab delimited file with 5 columns 79 A B 20.2340 6.1488 8.5086 1.3838 87 A B 0.1310 0.0382 0.0054 0.1413 88 A B 46.1651 99.0000 21.8107 0.2203 89 A B 0.1400 0.1132 0.0151 0.1334 114 A B 0.1088 0.0522 0.0057 0.1083 115 A B... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lucky Ali
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting indented text files

Hello, I'm trying to find a solution or a proper tool for the following job: I need to sort a text document with indented sections, so all levels of indentation are sorted independently for each section. Particularly, I need this for Cisco routers' running config files to compare them with... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kobel
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting a text file with respect to Function/Keyword

Hello Experts, I am truly a beginner in shell and perl . Need an urgent help with sorting a file. please help. wouldn't mind whether in perl or shell script. Here are the details. ------------------------------------------------------ Input Text file EX:... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: pradyumnajpn10
9 Replies
SYSTEMD-SUSPEND.SERVICE(8)				      systemd-suspend.service					SYSTEMD-SUSPEND.SERVICE(8)

NAME
systemd-suspend.service, systemd-hibernate.service, systemd-hybrid-sleep.service, systemd-sleep - System sleep state logic SYNOPSIS
systemd-suspend.service systemd-hibernate.service systemd-hybrid-sleep.service /usr/lib/systemd/systemd-sleep DESCRIPTION
systemd-suspend.service is a system service that is pulled in by suspend.target and is responsible for the actual system suspend. Similarly, systemd-hibernate.service is pulled in by hibernate.target to execute the actual hibernation. Finally, systemd-hybrid-sleep.service is pulled in by hybrid-sleep.target to execute hybrid hibernation with system suspend. Immediately before entering system suspend and/or hibernation systemd-suspend.service (and the other mentioned units, respectively) will run all executables in /usr/lib/systemd/system-sleep/ and pass two arguments to them. The first argument will be "pre", the second either "suspend", "hibernate", or "hybrid-sleep" depending on the chosen action. Immediately after leaving system suspend and/or hibernation the same executables are run, but the first argument is now "post". All executables in this directory are executed in parallel, and execution of the action is not continued until all executables have finished. Note that scripts or binaries dropped in /usr/lib/systemd/system-sleep/ are intended for local use only and should be considered hacks. If applications want to be notified of system suspend/hibernation and resume, there are much nicer interfaces available. Note that systemd-suspend.service, systemd-hibernate.service, and systemd-hybrid-sleep.service should never be executed directly. Instead, trigger system sleep states with a command such as "systemctl suspend" or similar. Internally, this service will echo a string like "mem" into /sys/power/state, to trigger the actual system suspend. What exactly is written where can be configured in the "[Sleep]" section of /etc/systemd/sleep.conf. See systemd-sleep.conf(5). OPTIONS
systemd-sleep understands the following commands: -h, --help Print a short help text and exit. --version Print the systemd version identifier and exit. suspend, hibernate, hybrid-sleep Suspend, hibernate, or put the system to hybrid sleep. SEE ALSO
systemd-sleep.conf(5), systemd(1), systemctl(1), systemd.special(7), systemd-halt.service(8) systemd 208 SYSTEMD-SUSPEND.SERVICE(8)