Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Problem with cut and wc
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Problem with cut and wc Post 302646581 by methyl on Friday 25th of May 2012 09:48:24 AM
Old 05-25-2012
This is a common problem in multi-platform system design.
I recommend that you instigate a systematic software re-test on a test system, paying particular attention to Extended ASCII character sets.

The big decision is what to do with each Extended ASCII character such that the data loads correctly into your database. This is not trivial.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cut command problem !

Hi all! Here is my problem : $ more file yougli:passwd:123456:3265:Yepa Yepo:/home/yougli:/bin/ksh As you can see, in the field "information", there are two spaces between "Yepa" and "yepo". My problem is : $ PARAM='more file | cut -d":" -f5' $ echo $PARAM Yepa Yepo Now i only... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tomapam
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with cut command

I am trying to take one part of my text from file and save it to variable $x I tryed this... x=`cut -c 6-9 $fajl` my file looks like this fajl: 21890001277 89386911 23638FBCDC 28EE01A1 0000 26855 124 244326 21890001277 89766911 23638FBCDC 28E021A1 0000 26557 134 684326 21890001277... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: amon
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

cut problem

Hi, sample datas are : drwxr-xr-x 2 beewin abidev 96 Jun 13 2006 bwin drwxrwxr-x 2 blsmg01 smg 96 Jun 13 2006 blsmg01 drwxr-xr-x 2 ccmdummy ccm_root 8192 Jun 13 2006 ccmdum drwxr-xr-x 5 dipayan users 8192 Oct 29 09:05 dip I want to cut the last field. I use ls -ll | grep... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: samir_standing
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut and WhiteSpace Problem

Hi, I have a shell script that reads a parameter file to set variables. I have an issue when the parameter I try to read contains whitespace. e.g File Contents Code The result is SUBJECT is set to and I want subject set to I've tried different variations but nothing seems to... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: Greygor
19 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with cut

I need to read in a file and output it without the comments or newlines. The problem is that is not outputting it properly. STUDENTSDETAILFILE="../data/studentDetails.txt" for getlines in `sed '/#/d' $STUDENTSDETAILFILE` do STUDENTID=`echo $getlines | cut -d: -f1` ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nerdbot
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

CUT command problem

Hi I have a strange problem when using cut command when i am using the below command, it is working fine,I am getting the data in new file xyz.dat cut -c 1-75 abc.dat > xyz.dat when i am using the below command, I am getting the data in new file abc.dat , but empty file cut -c 1-75... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vaas
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with cut command

Hi! I get a md5 hash of a file with this command: openssl md5 /Users/me/MyLogo.png | cut -f 2 -d ' ' "cut" because I just want the hash. But there is a problem -> that doen't work with a path with spaces: openssl md5 /Users/me/MyLogo 2.png | cut -f 2 -d ' ' The result is "2.png)=" ...... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Dirk Einecke
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem in Cut and paste

Hi, I have a file like this --> Consider z as space #cat filename ABC <!--Nzzzzz--> <!--RESUMO--> EFG XYZ <!--Nzzzzz--> <!--RESUMO--> I need to cut the <!--RESUMO--> part and paste it to the previous line so that the file will look like this--> ABC <!--Nzzzzz--><!--RESUMO-->... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: samsonata
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem with echo and cut

Hi, My source file happens to be src.src with following contents: 1,liv 52,syrup,twice a day,children When I do a : for ii in `cat src.src` do echo $ii medicine_name=`echo $ii | cut -f -d2","` echo $medicine_name done I get output of echo $medicine_name as : an the output of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dipanchandra
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem in using cut command

Hi Friend , i have one file say xyz.lst and it has content like dn: cn=m.hariharan,cn=employee,cn=delhi circle,cn=users,dc=industowers,dc=c dn: cn=ajay.jain,cn=employee,cn=gujarat circle,cn=users,dc=industowers,dc=com dn: cn=ajitkumar.thakor,cn=employee,cn=gujarat... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: harish anand
4 Replies
vis(1)							      General Commands Manual							    vis(1)

NAME
vis, inv - make unprintable and non-ASCII characters in a file visible or invisible SYNOPSIS
file ... file ... DESCRIPTION
reads characters from each file in sequence and writes them to the standard output, converting those that are not printable or not ASCII into a visible form. inv performs the inverse function, reading printable characters from each file, returning them to non-printable or non-ASCII form, if appropriate, then writing them to standard output; Non-printable ASCII characters are represented using C-like escape conventions: backslash backspace escape form-feed new-line carriage return space horizontal tab vertical tab the character whose ASCII code is the 3-digit octal number n. the character whose ASCII code is the 2-digit hexadecimal number n. Non-ASCII single- or multi-byte characters are examined one byte at a time. For each byte, if it can be displayed as an ASCII character, it is treated as if it is an ASCII character; Otherwise, it is represented in the following conventions: the 8-bit character whose code value is the 3-digit octal number n. the 8-bit character whose code value is the 2-digit hexadecimal number n. Space, horizontal-tab, and new-line characters can be treated as printable (and therefore passed unaltered to the output) or non-printable depending on the options selected. Backslash, although printable, is expanded by vis, to a pair of backslashes so that when they are passed back through inv, they convert back to a single backslash. If no input file is given, or if the argument is encountered, and inv read from the standard input. Options and recognize the following options: Treat new-line, space, and horizontal tab as non-printable characters. expands them visibly as and rather than passing them directly to the output. discards these characters, expecting only the printable expansions. New-line characters are inserted by every 16 bytes so that the output will be in a form that is usable by most editors. Make and silent about non-existent files, identical input and output, and write errors. Normally, no input file can be the same as the output file unless it is a special file. Treat horizontal-tab and space characters as non-printable in the same manner that treats them. Cause output to be unbuffered (byte-by-byte); normally, output is buffered. Cause output to be in hexadecimal form rather than the default octal form. Either form is accepted to as input. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
Environment Variables determines the language in which messages are displayed. International Code Set Support Single- and multi-byte character code sets are supported. WARNINGS
Redirecting output to an input file destroys the original data. Therefore, command forms such as should be avoided unless the source file can be safely discarded. AUTHOR
was developed by HP. SEE ALSO
cat(1), echo(1), od(1). vis(1)