Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Deleting particular files with a numerical suffix Post 302646483 by elixir_sinari on Friday 25th of May 2012 08:08:38 AM
Old 05-25-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnmonu
Code:
$ ls | rm `awk -F"_" ' $2 > 10540 '`

Does this work???

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Listing files in numerical order

Hi, I'm trying to write a ksh script to copy a specified number of files from one directory to another. The files are named in the convention <switchname>_log.<num> and the numbers are sequential single digit onwards. I figured I could find some parameter for ls which would list the files in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Steve_H
3 Replies

2. Programming

Adding files of numerical data

Hi I was hoping that maybe someone could help me with a small piece of C code. I have a number of files, which are all of similar layout ie. three lines of text and 5-6 columns of numerical data. I need to add each of the elements of the second column in one file to their counterparts in the second... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: Boucho
17 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to rename multiple files with a common suffix

Hi, There are multiple files like file1_11 file2_11 file3_11.....and so on. How to rename them such tht the suffix _11 is removed and they become file1, file2, file3. Any help is appreciated. Regards er_ashu (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: er_ashu
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

compare files by numerical value

Hi everyone, I would love to have a script that does the following: I have one file that looks like that: ATOM 1 BB SER 1 1 -31.958 -25.125 -11.061 1.00 0.00 ATOM 3 BB GLY 1 2 -32.079 -26.085 -14.466 1.00 0.00 ATOM 4 BB VAL 1 3 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: s-layer
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to find files not suffix with .c

if I want to search those files which were suffix with .c, I can use find ./ -name *.c but how to find out those files which were not suffix with .c ?? Thanks a lot! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cqlouis
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

deleting files based on the suffix

how do we delete files based on the suffix??? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saggiboy10
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

List files according to the numerical value

Hi, I have a large number of files which are named as follows. VF_50, VF_100, VF_150, VF_250, VF_300, VF_350, VF_400, VF_450, VF_500. When I do an 'ls' it arranges the files in the following way VF_100, VF_150, VF_250, VF_300, VF_350, VF_400, VF_450, VF_50, VF_500. Is there a way to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lost.identity
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming multiple files at once (discarding suffix of the filename after a character)

Hi, I have a lot of files similar to the below order. I want to rename all the files .discrading the time stamp/numbers after cnf. Existing files id_info_20130405.cnf_20130801 in_info_20130405.cnf_20130891 iz_info_20130405.cnf_20130821 in_info_20130405.cnf_20130818... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: saravanapandi
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding all files w/ suffix on the system

I am trying to build a list of all files ending in *.cbl in the system, but when I try find / -name *.cbl, I only find one specific file name that is alphabetically first. Is there something I'm missing? TIA ---------- Post updated at 11:20 AM ---------- Previous update was at 11:15 AM... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wbport
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move files with a certain suffix based on how many files are in another folder

Hello, First time poster. I am looking for a way to script or program the process of moving files from one folder to another, automatically, based on the count of files in the destination folder. I was thinking a shell script would work, but am open to the suggestions of the experts... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: comtech
6 Replies
SHELL-QUOTE(1)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					    SHELL-QUOTE(1)

NAME
shell-quote - quote arguments for safe use, unmodified in a shell command SYNOPSIS
shell-quote [switch]... arg... DESCRIPTION
shell-quote lets you pass arbitrary strings through the shell so that they won't be changed by the shell. This lets you process commands or files with embedded white space or shell globbing characters safely. Here are a few examples. EXAMPLES
ssh preserving args When running a remote command with ssh, ssh doesn't preserve the separate arguments it receives. It just joins them with spaces and passes them to "$SHELL -c". This doesn't work as intended: ssh host touch 'hi there' # fails It creates 2 files, hi and there. Instead, do this: cmd=`shell-quote touch 'hi there'` ssh host "$cmd" This gives you just 1 file, hi there. process find output It's not ordinarily possible to process an arbitrary list of files output by find with a shell script. Anything you put in $IFS to split up the output could legitimately be in a file's name. Here's how you can do it using shell-quote: eval set -- `find -type f -print0 | xargs -0 shell-quote --` debug shell scripts shell-quote is better than echo for debugging shell scripts. debug() { [ -z "$debug" ] || shell-quote "debug:" "$@" } With echo you can't tell the difference between "debug 'foo bar'" and "debug foo bar", but with shell-quote you can. save a command for later shell-quote can be used to build up a shell command to run later. Say you want the user to be able to give you switches for a command you're going to run. If you don't want the switches to be re-evaluated by the shell (which is usually a good idea, else there are things the user can't pass through), you can do something like this: user_switches= while [ $# != 0 ] do case x$1 in x--pass-through) [ $# -gt 1 ] || die "need an argument for $1" user_switches="$user_switches "`shell-quote -- "$2"` shift;; # process other switches esac shift done # later eval "shell-quote some-command $user_switches my args" OPTIONS
--debug Turn debugging on. --help Show the usage message and die. --version Show the version number and exit. AVAILABILITY
The code is licensed under the GNU GPL. Check http://www.argon.org/~roderick/ or CPAN for updated versions. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> perl v5.16.3 2010-06-11 SHELL-QUOTE(1)