Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Add missing linefeeds between formfeeds in reports Post 302646129 by Corona688 on Thursday 24th of May 2012 02:08:33 PM
Old 05-24-2012
I think awk can do this. Set the record separator as form-feed, and set the field separator as newline, so every 'line' is an entire page, and every 'field' is an entire line.

NF thus becomes the count of lines. And you can just set NF, then print. It will happily fill linefeeds between blank fields.

Requires nawk or gawk unless you're on Linux.

Code:
# Proof of principle.  Each 'block' separated by form-feed(\014)
# gets stretched to 5 lines.  Form-feed is not printed so the terminal doesn't erase itself.
printf "a\n\014b\n\014c\nd\ne\n\014" | awk -v RS="\014" -v FS="\n" -v OFS="\n" -v ORS="\n" '{ NF=5 } 1'
a

b

c
d
e

# Command you'd actually run:
$ awk -v RS="\014" -v FS="\n" -v OFS="\n" -v ORS="\n\014" '{ NF=65 } 1' input > output

If your document uses carriage returns, change FS, OFS, and ORS so \n is \r\n.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

i need to add missing delimiters...

ladies, gents.. say i have a file that should have 10 fields... (9 delimiters) some records have 10 fields, some have 5 some have 8, etc.. nothing consistent, but i need my file to have 9 delimiters on each line, even if its null fields.. how can i go line by line and add the correct... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: obarrett
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add missing times

Not sure about the title if someone has a better name for it please lemme know and I will edit the title. I have several (10+ files) which look something like: File 1: 12/28/2009 04:0 8 12/28/2009 04:4 4 12/28/2009 05:0 4 . . . File 2: 12/28/2009 04:1 7 12/28/2009 04:2 3... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jstrangfeld
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with removing embedded linefeeds

Greetings all, i have csv file with pipe separated columns SSN|NAME|ADDRESS|FILLER 123|abc|myaddress|xxx 234|BBB|my add ress broken up|yyy In the example above, the second record is broken into multiple lines. I need to keep going until I find a "|" since this issue is with the... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: stayalive
14 Replies

4. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

merging files and add missing rows

hello all, I have files that have a specific way for naming the first column they are make of five names in Pattern of 3 Y = (no case sensitive) so the files are names $Y-$Y-$Y or $X-$Y-$Z depending how we look they only exist of the pattern exist now I want to create a file from them that... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: A-V
9 Replies

5. Solaris

[solved]Config/enable_mapping missing, how to add?

Issue resolved by upgrading from solaris 11 to solaris 11.1 I would like to enable network mapping. While using instructions from: https://blogs.oracle.com/VDIpier/entry/solaris_11_changing_the_hostname To change my hostname I noticed I am missing the enable mapping bool. What it should... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: taltamir
0 Replies

6. SuSE

How to resolve missing missing dependencies with opensuse 11.3 and 12.3?

Hello, This is a programming question as well as a suse question, so let me know if you think I should post this in programming. I have an application that I compiled under opensuse 12.2 using g77-3.3/g++3.3. The program compiles and runs just fine. I gave the application to a colleague who... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

WARNING! 16126 bare linefeeds received in ASCII mode

I am doing FTP from a server and getting below ERROR:WARNING! 16126 bare linefeeds received in ASCII mode File may not have transferred correctly. I looked into web and found that I may need to change the mode to binary, but when I do so the records are not in readable format...So need the file... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: joshilalit2004
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to add missing value?

Hi Gurus, I have a txt file. some record missed 2nd colum value, I need put default value into the file. ex: below file, first 4 records, missed one column (only 4 columns. it should be 5) $cat missedfield aaa,bbb,ccc,fff aaa,bbb,ccc,ddd 111,222,333,444 111,222,333,444... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ken6503
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add word for a missing column

Hi team... I need some help/advise on adding a word for a missing column. I have a file as below. Rep N1 Forever Limited 2015 Rep N2 Limited 2016 since 2nd content is 3 lines missing one line so i need to make this like Rep N1 Forever (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbee5
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to add missing date and time in a bash script?

Hi Again, I have a file that contains date and time for the past 2 hours. What i need is add missing date and time in a file. INPUT 2016-01-13 01:33 10 2016-01-13 01:31 10 2016-01-13 01:30 10 2016-01-13 01:29 10 2016-01-13 01:28 10 2016-01-13 01:27 10 2016-01-13 01:26 10 2016-01-13... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: ernesto
14 Replies
JOIN(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   JOIN(1)

NAME
join - relational database operator SYNOPSIS
join [ options ] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
Join forms, on the standard output, a join of the two relations specified by the lines of file1 and file2. If file1 is `-', the standard input is used. File1 and file2 must be sorted in increasing ASCII collating sequence on the fields on which they are to be joined, normally the first in each line. There is one line in the output for each pair of lines in file1 and file2 that have identical join fields. The output line normally con- sists of the common field, then the rest of the line from file1, then the rest of the line from file2. Fields are normally separated by blank, tab or newline. In this case, multiple separators count as one, and leading separators are dis- carded. These options are recognized: -an In addition to the normal output, produce a line for each unpairable line in file n, where n is 1 or 2. -e s Replace empty output fields by string s. -jn m Join on the mth field of file n. If n is missing, use the mth field in each file. -o list Each output line comprises the fields specifed in list, each element of which has the form n.m, where n is a file number and m is a field number. -tc Use character c as a separator (tab character). Every appearance of c in a line is significant. SEE ALSO
sort(1), comm(1), awk(1) BUGS
With default field separation, the collating sequence is that of sort -b; with -t, the sequence is that of a plain sort. The conventions of join, sort, comm, uniq, look and awk(1) are wildly incongruous. JOIN(1)