Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Passwd,shadow files deleted and abort sequence disabled Post 302644201 by bartus11 on Monday 21st of May 2012 12:14:53 PM
Old 05-21-2012
What machine is it? Maybe you will be lucky enough to have ALOM or ILOM configured... You can also connect to serial console and send break from there.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleted /etc/passwd

Hi all, While playing with my LINUX machine i accidently deleted a file name called /etc/passwd . Even though the system is booted am unable to get the login prompt. Is there any remedy for this problem.:( (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cyno
5 Replies

2. Solaris

/etc/passwd file been deleted

Hi Folks , Would be grateful if someone could help me out in one of the question that came to my mind . If the /etc/passwd file has been deleted and the system has been rebooted . Then i dont think that any user would be able to login and the system will be useless . Whats the best solution for... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gera_sachin125
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to : Identify the the password is encrypted or not in /etc/shadow or /etc/passwd?

Thanks AVKlinux (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: avklinux
11 Replies

4. Solaris

tool to convert /etc/passwd and etc/shadow

i wonder if there is a tool to read the /etc/passwd or /etc/shadow files in order to reset user accounts to the same one. By moving (restore) all filessytem and data to another same Sun box, none of the users are able to logon to the new box which i didn't change nothing. But if i reset the user... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lamoul
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Converting freebsd (5.2.1) master.passwd to Debian shadow

I'm trying to make this work, and it half works. Accounts with password hashes matching the old crypt(3) algorithm work just fine: JUpfW/w6jo6aw But accounts with longer password hashes preceded by $1$, such as the following, do not work: $1$iIcbppdP$HDyjJeVMGgJ.ovLsnjtTR.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: davidstvz
0 Replies

6. Solaris

passwd cmd reenables passwd aging in shadow entry

Hi Folks, I have Solaris 10, latest release. We have passwd aging set in /etc/defalut/passwd. I have an account that passwd should never expire. Acheived by emptying associated users shadow file entries for passwd aging. When I reset the users passwd using passwd command, it re enables... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
3 Replies

7. Solaris

difference between /etc/shadow and /etc/default/passwd

Hi , can anyone explain me the difference between /etc/shadow and /etc/default/passwd . As per my knowledge both the files are used for password aging and control parameters. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rogerben
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

psswd&shadow 2 passwd together?!!

hi, all I just started on new box where I have to diff passwd working perfectly on the very same account/user. I see that shadow was added recently (I'm not a root in there), I see 'x' in passwd. Not sure how it should work, should I change old passwd for one defined in shadow? Or it's fine to... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: trento17
20 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleted /etc/passwd file while accessing to our test server via putty

Hi I was accessing our linux test server via putty and By mistake i deleted /etc/passwd file..... It is allowing me to login..... So could anyone please help me out in this issue.... Please, it is urgent (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahul547
6 Replies

10. Solaris

Passwd -l or -u modifies lastchg field in /etc/shadow file

Hi, I have a Solaris 10 box where password aging is not functioning properly. Using the passwd command with the -l or -u options causes the lastchg field in the /etc/shadow file to be modified. Therefore, if a user's password is set to expire in 90 days and they are 1 day away, all they have... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cschar
4 Replies
SNOOPER(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						SNOOPER(1)

NAME
snooper -- a utility for capturing data flowing between serial devices SYNOPSIS
snooper [-h] snooper [-b baudrate] [-t] [-u] [-x] [-n] port0 port1 DESCRIPTION
snooper passes data transparently between two serial (RS232C) devices, capturing and logging the data and occasional comments you want to insert into the logs. It is useful for debugging or analyzing the communications protocol between two devices that would normally be connected directly to each other, e.g. a digital camera and a personal computer. By sitting in the middle (after you connect the two devices to serial ports on your Linux machine) snooper is able to capture data traveling in either direction while also passing it unmodified to the other device. It is also possible to operate with a single serial device, using your console and keyboard as the second device. OPTIONS
-b baudrate Specify baudrate to use. Default baudrate is 9600. -t Include current time (in microseconds) with each write to the textual log file. See L under KEYBOARD COMMANDS, below. -u Do not perform serial device locking. (This option is discouraged, and should never be necessary on a properly-configured Debian system.) -x Hex display only. (Even printable characters will be displayed in hex.) -n Do not forward traffic between the two ports; useful when you have a splitter cable. -h Help; presents a brief synopsis of the command line options. KEYBOARD COMMANDS
snooper has a set of commands that act similar to those of vi. Note that the characters transmitted into the serial ports will not be forwarded while snooper is in command parameter input mode. You should therefore set the log file and so forth while the serial line has no activity. L Switch textual log file. You'll be asked to answer the filename of the log file. B Switch binary log file. You'll asked to answer which device to log, and the log file name. Please note that the binary log will contain the input from the perspective of snooper. Therefore, if you would like to make a log of input of line 0 (thus the output from device connected to line 0), you shold specify line 0. You should use a file that is local, or on a virtual disk, so that no characters will be lost. m add a memo line to the text log file. The memo line will contain a timestamp and the text you provide. Q Quit. c Reset the counter. b Change the baudrate. C Make the console act as one of the serial lines. ESC Go back to command mode. ^V Quote the next char (so that you can send ESC, for example). ^X input a byte by its 2-character hexadecimal value (so that you can send any character you like). By tapping any other key, that character will be sent to the line. ^L Repaint the screen. An unrecognized command character will present a brief list of the valid command characters. EXAMPLE
snooper /dev/ttyS0 /dev/ttyS1 AUTHOR
Jun-ichiro Itoh <itojun@itojun.org> This man page was written by David Coe <davidc@debian.org> for the Debian project, and may be used by others under the terms of the GNU Gen- eral Purpose License, version 2 or later. Debian Januray 20, 2002 Debian