Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help needed with some date arithmetic Post 302643919 by balajesuri on Monday 21st of May 2012 02:50:31 AM
Old 05-21-2012
1. To compare two dates, it'd be better to have them both in YYYYMMDD format. So that its easier for numeric comparison. For e.g., 20120521 is numerically greater than 20120517.

2. Try Perl's Time::Local module's 'timelocal' routine to convert date into seconds from epoch. This will be suitable for adding 1 day (86400 seconds) to a given date.

3. Perl's 'strftime' routine from POSIX package is recommended for converting a date into required format.

4. If you've GNU date, manipulation would be a lot easier.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed on Date command

Hi, I am facing one problem with date command.Actually I want to use this command to get the last month,not the current month..OK,I can do current month - 1 and give special condition for january,But this time i need last month as strings like January,februaury,march etc... There is option... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikunj
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

help needed in date format

i need to grep date in the format year-month-day,,,,,,, actually i need to grep those dates other than current date.......... can anyone help me in this...........i need a format of date which would grep previous date except current date (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ali560045
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help Needed in Date Condition !!

I am writing an shell script , which reads a file with contents Example :: (( This Format is yyyy-MM-DD)) 2008-05-16 2008-05-17 2008-05-18 2008-05-19 2008-05-20 2008-05-21 when i run the shell script it has to check the current date and compare it with the todays date and give me... (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: ranga27
24 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help needed with date

How can i assign a variable by the name of CUTDATE= today date - 90 days? i have something like this right now :- today=`date '+%Y%m%d'` #cutdate = this is where i am having problem. i need today - 90 days How can i accomplish this? After that i need to do delete the data which are more... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: chris1234
16 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed-calculate previous date

Hi Friends, Need a command/script in unix which calculates previous date from current date. For ex: If current date= 01 Jan 2008, then output =31 Dec 2007 If current_date =01 Aug 2008 , then output= 31 July 2008 Please advice Regards, Suresh (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sureshg_sampat
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to perform arithmetic operation on date

Hi all, I would appreciate if anyone knows how to perform adding to date. As for normal date, i can easily plus with any number. But when it comes to month end say for example 28 Jun, i need to perform a plus with number 3, it will not return 1 Jul. Thanks in advance for your help. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: agathaeleanor
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Date and time Arithmetic

Hi, I need to process a file which contains below data. Usually the files contains both Start and Finish time. but for Few records, it contains only Start. For those records I need to add the finish line by adding 5 minutes to Start time. Started BBIDX Tue Jun 1 15:15:11 EDT 2010 292308... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: siba.s.nayak
1 Replies

8. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Broken link FAQ date arithmetic with shell

page unix com/answers-frequently-asked-questions/13785-yesterdays-date-date-arithmetic.html Date Arithmetic with the Shell has link of www samag com/documents/s=8284/sam0307b/0307b.htm which is no longer. Is this the correct place to post this?:confused: and I got message... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dgerman
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed with date compare

Hello, I have this unix script which selects rows from DB where current time is greater than expired time (column). So this will give all the records that are expired 1 day ago, 2 days ago, 3 days ago, etc.. I need help modifying in such that it should give records that are only expired 1 day... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jakSun8
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with date arithmetic please

Hello fellow forum members, I wrote below piece of code to calculate the date after a given date - date=$DATE_FINAL declare -a max_month=(0 31 28 31 30 31 30 31 31 30 31 30 31) eval $(echo $date|sed 's!\(....\)\(..\)\(..\)!year=\1;month=\2;day=\3!') (( year4=year%4 )) (( year100=year%100... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ektubbe
9 Replies
DP(8)                                                                [nmh-1.5]                                                               DP(8)

NAME
dp - parse dates 822-style SYNOPSIS
/usr/lib/mh/dp [-form formatfile] [-format string] [-width columns] [-version] [-help] dates ... DESCRIPTION
Dp is a program that parses dates according to the ARPA Internet standard. It also understands many non-standard formats, such as those produced by TOPS-20 sites and some UNIX sites using ctime(3). It is useful for seeing how nmh will interpret a date. The dp program treats each argument as a single date, and prints the date out in the official 822-format. Hence, it is usually best to enclose each argument in quotes for the shell. To override the output format used by dp, the -format string or -format file switches are used. This permits individual fields of the address to be extracted with ease. The string is simply a format string and the file is simply a format file. See mh-format(5) for the details. Here is the default format string used by dp: %<(nodate{text})error: %{text}%|%(putstr(pretty{text}))%> which says that if an error was detected, print the error, a `:', and the date in error. Otherwise, output the 822-proper format of the date. FILES
$HOME/.mh_profile The user profile PROFILE COMPONENTS
None SEE ALSO
ap(8), Standard for the Format of ARPA Internet Text Messages (RFC-822) DEFAULTS
`-format' default as described above `-width' default to the width of the terminal CONTEXT
None BUGS
The argument to the -format switch must be interpreted as a single token by the shell that invokes dp. Therefore, one must usually place the argument to this switch inside quotes. MH.6.8 11 June 2012 DP(8)