Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help needed with some date arithmetic Post 302643911 by elixir_sinari on Monday 21st of May 2012 02:23:40 AM
Old 05-21-2012
Help needed with some date arithmetic

I have a file (main.lst) containing a list of dates in DDMMYYYY format. The dates will mostly be the same but it is possible to have multiple dates and these need not be in chronological order. I have another file containing another list of dates (holidays.lst).

The task is to get the latest date from main.lst. Check if that day is a Sunday or exists in "holidays.lst". If yes, I need to add 1 to the date and perform the above check again. This loop will break once I get a date (procdate) which is neither a Sunday nor a holiday.

Then, I need to add 1 to the "procdate" and perform the above check again. This will yield the final date (finaldate).This is a separate loop having an exit condition similar to the previous loop.

E.g., if procdate from loop 1 happens to be Saturday, then finaldate ought to be Monday (assuming that that particular Monday is not in holidays.lst).

I am using ksh on AIX 5.3 with perl 5.8.8 installed.

Any pointers to the date arithmetic highly appreciated.

Last edited by elixir_sinari; 05-21-2012 at 05:44 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed on Date command

Hi, I am facing one problem with date command.Actually I want to use this command to get the last month,not the current month..OK,I can do current month - 1 and give special condition for january,But this time i need last month as strings like January,februaury,march etc... There is option... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikunj
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

help needed in date format

i need to grep date in the format year-month-day,,,,,,, actually i need to grep those dates other than current date.......... can anyone help me in this...........i need a format of date which would grep previous date except current date (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ali560045
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help Needed in Date Condition !!

I am writing an shell script , which reads a file with contents Example :: (( This Format is yyyy-MM-DD)) 2008-05-16 2008-05-17 2008-05-18 2008-05-19 2008-05-20 2008-05-21 when i run the shell script it has to check the current date and compare it with the todays date and give me... (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: ranga27
24 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help needed with date

How can i assign a variable by the name of CUTDATE= today date - 90 days? i have something like this right now :- today=`date '+%Y%m%d'` #cutdate = this is where i am having problem. i need today - 90 days How can i accomplish this? After that i need to do delete the data which are more... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: chris1234
16 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed-calculate previous date

Hi Friends, Need a command/script in unix which calculates previous date from current date. For ex: If current date= 01 Jan 2008, then output =31 Dec 2007 If current_date =01 Aug 2008 , then output= 31 July 2008 Please advice Regards, Suresh (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sureshg_sampat
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to perform arithmetic operation on date

Hi all, I would appreciate if anyone knows how to perform adding to date. As for normal date, i can easily plus with any number. But when it comes to month end say for example 28 Jun, i need to perform a plus with number 3, it will not return 1 Jul. Thanks in advance for your help. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: agathaeleanor
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Date and time Arithmetic

Hi, I need to process a file which contains below data. Usually the files contains both Start and Finish time. but for Few records, it contains only Start. For those records I need to add the finish line by adding 5 minutes to Start time. Started BBIDX Tue Jun 1 15:15:11 EDT 2010 292308... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: siba.s.nayak
1 Replies

8. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Broken link FAQ date arithmetic with shell

page unix com/answers-frequently-asked-questions/13785-yesterdays-date-date-arithmetic.html Date Arithmetic with the Shell has link of www samag com/documents/s=8284/sam0307b/0307b.htm which is no longer. Is this the correct place to post this?:confused: and I got message... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dgerman
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed with date compare

Hello, I have this unix script which selects rows from DB where current time is greater than expired time (column). So this will give all the records that are expired 1 day ago, 2 days ago, 3 days ago, etc.. I need help modifying in such that it should give records that are only expired 1 day... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jakSun8
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with date arithmetic please

Hello fellow forum members, I wrote below piece of code to calculate the date after a given date - date=$DATE_FINAL declare -a max_month=(0 31 28 31 30 31 30 31 31 30 31 30 31) eval $(echo $date|sed 's!\(....\)\(..\)\(..\)!year=\1;month=\2;day=\3!') (( year4=year%4 )) (( year100=year%100... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ektubbe
9 Replies
DP(8)                                                                [nmh-1.5]                                                               DP(8)

NAME
dp - parse dates 822-style SYNOPSIS
/usr/lib/mh/dp [-form formatfile] [-format string] [-width columns] [-version] [-help] dates ... DESCRIPTION
Dp is a program that parses dates according to the ARPA Internet standard. It also understands many non-standard formats, such as those produced by TOPS-20 sites and some UNIX sites using ctime(3). It is useful for seeing how nmh will interpret a date. The dp program treats each argument as a single date, and prints the date out in the official 822-format. Hence, it is usually best to enclose each argument in quotes for the shell. To override the output format used by dp, the -format string or -format file switches are used. This permits individual fields of the address to be extracted with ease. The string is simply a format string and the file is simply a format file. See mh-format(5) for the details. Here is the default format string used by dp: %<(nodate{text})error: %{text}%|%(putstr(pretty{text}))%> which says that if an error was detected, print the error, a `:', and the date in error. Otherwise, output the 822-proper format of the date. FILES
$HOME/.mh_profile The user profile PROFILE COMPONENTS
None SEE ALSO
ap(8), Standard for the Format of ARPA Internet Text Messages (RFC-822) DEFAULTS
`-format' default as described above `-width' default to the width of the terminal CONTEXT
None BUGS
The argument to the -format switch must be interpreted as a single token by the shell that invokes dp. Therefore, one must usually place the argument to this switch inside quotes. MH.6.8 11 June 2012 DP(8)