Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming C; storing strings in an array Post 302643861 by neutronscott on Sunday 20th of May 2012 10:32:44 PM
Old 05-20-2012
you merely set it to point to that same address each time. C has char type. a string is pointer (char *), so the variable itself is only memory location of the start. the end is when you hit a \0. so when you do line = malloc() you grab enough space for 79 chars and the null. getline writes to it, but it doesn't change the address.. that address stays the same here.

setting a pointer to a pointer only copies the address. you need to copy what's at the address. this requires a loop, continuing either a set length like with memcpy, or until null byte, strcpy.

pointers are sometimes a tough concept to fully grasp

edit: yes, the +1 to the malloc would be so you have room to store a \0 which is needed to terminate strings.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Storing pointer array in C

All .. I am having a pointer array . And trying to store the addess into that pointer array . please see below the problem i faced code: int cnt1; char *t_array; char *f_array; for(cnt1=0; cnt1<1000; cnt1++) { t_array =... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

storing variables in array.Please help

Hi All, I need some help with arrays. I need to take input from the user for hostname, username and password until he enters .(dot) or any other character and store the values in the variable array. I would further connect to the hostname using username and passwd and copy files from server to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nua7
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

storing records in awk array

hi i have a file as follows: 1 2 3 4 5 6 i want to store all these numbers in an array using awk.. so far i have: awk '{for(i=1;i<=NR;i++) {a=$1}} END {for(i=1;i<=NR;i++) {printf("%1.11f",a)}}' 1.csv > test however, i am getting all values as zero in the "test" file..... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

storing values in a list or array

i have a file called file.txt having the following entries. 2321 2311 2313 4213 i wnat to store these values in a list and i want to iterate the list using loop and store it in another list (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: KiranKumarKarre
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Storing blanks in an array in bash

Hi Guys, I have a file which is as follows: 1 2 4 6 7 I am trying to store these values in an array in bash. I have the following script: FILE=try.txt ARRAY=(`awk '{print}' $FILE`) echo ${ARRAY} (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

storing strings in C

i'm trying to figure out how to store strings into an array, can someone help me figure it out? i would like to store the following for example: array = "dog" array = "cat" the inputs are coming from the command line. Thanks, (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: l flipboi l
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Storing data in perl 2D array

Respected All, Kindly help me out. I have got file listings in a directory like this: -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 115149 2011-11-17 07:15 file1.stat.log -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 115149 2011-11-18 08:15 file2.stat.log -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 115149 2011-11-19 09:15 file3.stat.log -rw-r--r-- 1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: teknokid1
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Storing command output in an array

Hi, I want keep/save one command's output in an array and later want to iterate over the array one by one for some processing. instead of doing like below- for str in `cat /etc/passwd | awk -F: '$3 >100 {print $1}' | uniq` want to store- my_array = `cat /etc/passwd | awk -F: '$3 >100 {print... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanzee007
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Storing two dimensional array for postprocessing

Hi Community, Would love to get some quick help on below requirement. I am trying to process mpstat output from multiple blades of my server I would like to assign this the output to an array and then use it for post processing. How can I use a two dimensional array and assign these value ... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: sshark
23 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Storing timestamp of files in an array

Hi, I have written the below script to get the timestamp of each files and result is as below Script find /home/user -type f -name "*.json" -printf '%Tc %p\n' | awk {'print $1 " " $2 " " $3 " " $4 " " $5 " " $6 " " $7'} Input -rw-r--r-- 1 user domain users 17382 Jul 19 06:10... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nextStep
5 Replies
gd_mfield_list(3)						      GETDATA							 gd_mfield_list(3)

NAME
gd_mfield_list -- retrieve a list of fields in a dirfile SYNOPSIS
#include <getdata.h> const char **gd_mfield_list(DIRFILE *dirfile, const char *parent); DESCRIPTION
The gd_mfield_list() function queries a dirfile(5) database specified by dirfile and returns a read-only list of names of the all metafields for the specified parent field in the database. The dirfile argument must point to a valid DIRFILE object previously created by a call to gd_open(3). The array returned will be de-allocated by a call to gd_close(3) and should not be de-allocated by the caller. The list returned should not be assumed to be in any particular order. The array is terminated by a NULL pointer. The number of strings in the array can be ob- tained from a call to gd_nmfields(3). The caller may not modify any strings in the array, or the array itself. Doing so may cause database corruption. The pointer returned is guaranteed to be valid until gd_mfield_list() is called again with the same arguments, or until the array is de-allocated by a call to gd_close(3). RETURN VALUE
Upon successful completion, gd_mfield_list() returns a pointer to an array of strings containing the names of all the metafields of the given parent. On error it returns NULL and sets the dirfile error to a non-zero error value. Possible error values are: GD_E_ALLOC The library was unable to allocate memory. GD_E_BAD_CODE The supplied parent field code was not found, or referred to a metafield itself. GD_E_BAD_DIRFILE The supplied dirfile was invalid. The dirfile error may be retrieved by calling gd_error(3). A descriptive error string for the last error encountered can be obtained from a call to gd_error_string(3). SEE ALSO
dirfile(5), gd_open(3), gd_error(3), gd_error_string(3), gd_mfield_list_by_type(3), gd_mvector_list(3), gd_nfields(3) Version 0.7.0 15 October 2010 gd_mfield_list(3)